long tail mud motor question

Donivan Wells

Hello All,

I have a 12ft Aero Craft model F that is currently being repaired by the aluminum welder. I will be using this boat mainly in the marsh as it was designed. She has oar-locks and a transom that will need some wood repairs. The last week of the season here in Michigan, I was running my 71 Johnson 6hp in some mucky water and apparently sucked some goo into the impelled, causing it to over heat and seize. Basically, I will need to buy a motor for next duck season and my question is, does anyone have any experience with a 6hp long tail motor? I have seen some used motors for around $800-1000. I know its not a fast motor, but how slow would it be on a 12 ft flat bottom boat? Will the motor be strong enough to push the boat through those areas where the boat is still floating but is pushing through muck?

Any input appreciated,

Donivan

I have a 5.5 hp Mudbuddy on the back of one of my Kara's. The boat weighs 80 lbs and with me (220 lbs) dog (50 lbs) decoys and gear it would push that Kara over areas where there was no water, just a gooey pudding consistency mud. The Kara is a small boat but it is 14' long. I think you would have a problem if there were 2 guys in the boat. I would always favor the maximum hp, and a shorttail where possible. My Prodrive, one of the older 25 hp models, will absolutely eat up those kind of conditions and I can run my Peregrine through that like a bat out of hell all day long.

Ed.

I bought a Stump Jumper from Bill's Engineering this fall and put it on a boat that was too heavy and not designed for a mud motor. It worked surprisingly well. It pushed the boat through stuff that I was expecting to have to get out and pull it through. Next fall it will be on a narrower flat bottomed boat that will work better.

I found the motor had a huge amount of power, or thrust, and enough speed to get me where I wanted to go. A flat bottomed boat will up the speed a bit as well as not get high keeled in the low water.

The Stump Jumper is 65lbs when filled with fuel, and at 7hp it is one of the lighter long tails out there. Bill still offers free UPS ground shipping within the States. The motor comes directly from the distributer and Bill sends the frame to you from his shop. You have to spend about an hour putting the kill switch on and attaching the motor to the frame and drive shaft. Put oil in the motor and some fuel and your good to go.

Since the bolt hole pattern on the frame is similar to other small motors you could buy just the frame and then get a motor locally to fit the drive shaft placement. I recommend getting the motor from Bill since the frame is made to fit that Robin/Subaru motor. Currently Bill's supplier for motors states that that unit is not made with a stator for running lights or charging a battery. That is not what Robin/Subaru says about that motor. If you need power off the motor it might behove you to find a dealer other than the one Bill uses and get the motor with a charging system. You will pay a lot more.

To swing the motor around for trailering you will either need a tall transom that allows for the various clearences you need (prop/skeg and bottom of the motor mount) or take the motor off and put it back on. I can just barely scoot my motor around in a circle with only a couple of spots that things rub on. I also made a lanyard for the keeper pin so that it won't get lost. I used 500lb mono and copper crimps for the lanyard, but anything you can cinch tight on a piece of thick wire will work.

There are just two minor things I don't like about the Stumpy: the semi exposed drive shaft and the motorcycle twist grip throttle.

I am thinking about some wire cloth around the frame areas to keep camo grass off the head of the drive shaft where it goes into the motor. However, this will make the motor a little harder to pick up since the top strut on the frame is a handy place to grab the motor. Still have to think on it some more.

The twist grip needed some hockey stick friction tape to keep the grip from spinning around when fully twisted. It also wore out my wrist after a hard day of fighting the muck. I am thinking about buying one of the Mud Buddy finger throttles and testing it out.

http://www.stump-jumper.com/

I ru a 6.5 hp Mudbuddy on an Original MoMarsh Fatboy. I can get 6-8 mph in open water and a bit faster in shallow water where I can get a "lift" from the bottom. Let's just say that for me a mud motor is like a 4 x4 truck, it get's me into place that I shouldn't probably be trying to go. I don't know much about the boat your planning on runnning it on,(other than the pictures I just Googled) but I would say if speed isn't a big need, a 6 hp would be fine.

Jeff

I agree with the 4X4 comment. I own a 23 hp long tail but I have used several smaller mud motors on smaller boats. They work just fine and while you won't set any speed records you will find it is quick enough. The thing that will impress you will be the ability to motor in muck and weeds.

Back