Looking for a lightweight jacket/shell

David Stern

Hi. I have been wearing a base layer, thick columbia fleece and the columbia outer jacket that comes with the 3 in 1 coat. It has been too bulky and having a hard time shooting with it. This past week, I took the colubia jacket off and was shooting great. So I was thinking of just wearing the fleece and no coat, but sometimes it gets cold. Does anyone know of a good lightweight wind and waterproof jacket/shell that I can wear over the fleece when it gets too cold or windy. I am looking on cutting down on the bulk, so the coat does not need insulation just wind and water protection. All opinions appreciated.

thanks
David

I use an older Browning waterfowl coat, no insulation, a Gore-Tex Shell. I bought it a tad big and can put a fleece under it if I need. I have owned it about 6 years and it has held up well.

100% Drake Wadertech (I think it is called this) One of the best pieces of unting clothes I own. It is comfortable down to 35-40 deg. F and can be worn at much higher temps as well. You can pick one up for $50-100 depending upon sales and stuff.

Mark W

Dave I wear a Drake 3/4 zip wadertech with a fleece turtle neck underneath. When running the rig in snotty seas or rain I wear my Columbia widgeon parka,outer shell only over the wadertech. Not to bulky

Dave,
I like to shoot in a Drake Equader. The bottom of it is fleece and the shoulders/arms are
waterproof. I shoot in it even when the temps are single digit and it is very warm. I wear my
parka shell when underway to keep dry and stow it when I get set-up.
Get your orange or blue gloves and you're good to go,
John

May want to look at some of the Rivers West jackets. I am on my 2nd season with their outlaw jacket and it has performed well - no leaks, not bulky and is windproof. Can't say that for a closet full of leakers I have collected over the years. Goretex or similar membranes never go past a full season with me before they leak. And my McAlister Jacket is like wearing an anchor when it gets wet. The Texas Fowlers website has some good prices on Rivers West products.

Dave - I second the Rivers West suggestion. I wanted to get away from the bulky 4 in 1 and purchased a Rivers West pull over and one of their lighter jackets at the beginning of the season. It's a 100% waterproof/windproof fleece like material that is not at all bulky. It works great for layering and I was really happy with how it performed this season. The liner of the 4-1 never left the closet this year and the shell only made it out twice on very rainy days - and that was only for the hood. I purchased the hoodless RW jacket thinking I would want the Gore Tex for the rain. I think I am going to look into one of their hooded jackets for next season.

agreed on the Drake gear. I have been using the 1/4 zip top for 4 or 5 years and love it. Comfortable, windproof, warm. I would put on something over it in a heavy rain, but for light spray its great. I really like the fleece-only bottom for wear with waders or bibs - it dries really well and keeps me comfortable on longer hunts.

Dave I wear a Neoprene jacket over my fleece when it wet or real icy

I have never heard of a neoprene jacket. Does it fit tight like a wet suit? Where can I see one (website)?

I'd also put in a plug for the drake 1/4 zip pullover and keep your current shell. I've been wearing one this season and have yet to put the liner in my parka this year. I've only needed the shell and many days not even that.

Back