Looking for a New Dog

David Palmer

Hey folks! I hate to admit it, but my trusty lab "Mr. Woods" is getting to that age and physical condition that he doesn't have many more years to hunt. He is the only lab I've ever had and I have loved him to death. He's a bit large to hunt with out of my Devlin Broadbill, so I wanted to ask your advice on smaller water dogs.

A buddy of mine has just purchased a Spanador which should grow to be about 35 or so pounds. Any of you out there know about this breed (or any other) that might fit the bill? I sure would appreciate any feedback (and any breeders) that you could give.

Grace and peace,

David

Hi David

Check out Duck Hill Kennels. Robert Milner is breeding a line of Labs he calls canoe Labs.

Here's the link: http://www.duckhillkennels.com/

and his description of what he calls a canoe Lab:

Our canoe Labradors are bred to be a smaller size. They typically range from 35 to 50 lbs. They are small enough to jump out of a canoe without capsizing it. They also bring less water back into the canoe on their return.
The canoe labs are small in size, but still bred for all the qualities you expect in a British Labrador: Calm nature, trainability, natural delivery to hand and game-finding initiative.

Hi David

Check out Duck Hill Kennels. Robert Milner is breeding a line of Labs he calls canoe Labs.

Here's the link: http://www.duckhillkennels.com/

and his description of what he calls a canoe Lab:

Tim, there is such a thing as a "canoe chessie". The dog only puts one front leg and one back leg in the boat and creates a sponson.

The good news is, while the dogs paddles with the other legs, you as the canoeist only have to moon paddle on one side of the canoe to go straight!

Our canoe Labradors are bred to be a smaller size. They typically range from 35 to 50 lbs. They are small enough to jump out of a canoe without capsizing it. They also bring less water back into the canoe on their return.
The canoe labs are small in size, but still bred for all the qualities you expect in a British Labrador: Calm nature, trainability, natural delivery to hand and game-finding initiative.

I have a 50 lb black lab bitch that can do all that my previous 4 bruisers did ...and more. I am really a convert to that size. She was the runt and my daughter picked her out of the litter. The canoe dogs sound interesting, and they come from an established kennel. I would look in to that. I had a chessie and an AWS both thumbs down for me for different reasons. Not to slander the entire breed but these individuals were hard to train. My 2 cents. Bob

There are several Boykin Spaniel breeders in your area and these little brown dogs would fit the niche you are exploring.
IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

P.S. Don't drink the AWS kool-aid... especicially if it is yellow! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary - I've had my eye on that breed for a few years. (I'm a big River fan) I lost my lab in January so I'm just waiting for the home life to settle down and I'll be looking for an AWS.

I have 2 Boykins. A retired geriatric & a 4 year old 35 pound female.

They are the size you want. A BIG male won't be more than 45. Our older female hunted at 27 pounds. For upland, a dog in mid 30s moves through the woods easier.

Good thing about Boykins is you can go to the Boykin association website & see all available litters.

My first dog was a AWS. When I looked for another one I could not find an available litter & went w/a Boykin. The AWS was more headstrong than my Boykins, but a sampling of one is not statistically valid.

Mike
Robert milner as got some good breeding stock there and if you notice the picture on his website you will see John Halstead the England gundog captain
with feildtrial champion Drakeshead Breeze, Breeze has been the only dog to win the gundog championships 3 times running, 1985-1986-1987 and his record to this day as never been beaten, Meg my last little girl was his Grt Grt Grandaughter, Drakeshead Viv and what a dream she was.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber (Drakeshead usha)
Its all about Building that Bond.

Another vote for the AWS. My male is on the larger side 21" and 55lb of muscle. He is a hunting maniac. I, like you, wanted a small dog for hunting from a sneakbox. He fit the bill perfectly. We trained with a retriever group so he does all that, he needed minimal training for upland. He is an excellent all around dog and a pleasure to be with.

One of the dogs I was most impressed with at a Bombayhook Waterfowl day was a little Boykin female.
She had a great mark and had 100lds of desire packed in a 30lb frame.

David,

One breed worth looking at is the Wirehair Pointing Griffon. Mine is about four months old and I love her disposition. She will probably be around 45 - 50 lbs. and they are used for upland game just as much as waterfowl. They are known as a versatile breed and might not be the best dog in every field but they are very capable in all types of hunting. Just do your research in whatever breed you decide. My wife loves the fact that WPGs don't shed.

Robie Gardner

Back