Looking for iIce fishing stuff - ndr

Mark W

I guess is is duck related as I keep thinking about hunting while out fishing.

Does anyone know of a good place to get used, or less expensive new fishing stuff. I'm looking for a Vexilar FL-18 or FL-20 and a good 2 hp, 8" auger. Shelter as well but I think those need to be seen first hand.

Mark W

If you have a Gander Mountain store near you check them out. I have had good luck finding deals there at the end of the season, when they have big sales to clear out all the inventory.

I'd check out some of the local Fleet Farms around you. They usually have pretty good end of the season deals. I bet you can get rods and maybe even an auger at clearance price this time of year.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=157.0 Sometimes have some good deal here.

Some of the stuff like a flasher or a good shelter are tough to find at much of a discount. You can get a new Marcum VX-1 for around $300 or a new Vexilar FL-8 for around $350. Either one is going to be well over $200 used. If they work they just don't seem to lose much value. A couple years ago both Marcum and Vexilar sold reconditioned units for a very good price, you might want to look at their sites. I have a Marcum VX-1 and like it a lot. Works much better then the older Vexilars that I have used it by. The newer Vexilars are also nice but cost more.

Look at the pop up shelters if you want to keep it less expensive. My brother has an eskimo quickfish 3 that works well as long as he remembers to put an ice anchor in. They go on sale for around $160 at times.

Tim

Mark,

I just purchased a Lowrance X67c Ice Machine package from Reeds. Best of both worlds - flasher and a chart display all in one package for less than a Vexilar package. http://www.reedssports.com/Category/main.taf?cat=1591

I got it on Friday and couldn't wait to use it on Saturday.
Took my son out to a local lake we have been fishing for lakers. Action was slow on tip-ups - snowing like crazy. I was marking fish with my new machine - but tough to get them to bite - neat to watch them come up off the bottom or swim down. I saw this one about 60 feet down in 90 feet of water. I sent my jig down to intercept - one pump, two pumps and wham - fish on! 15 minutes later - I landed this 30-1/2" laker. My first laker ever jigging. My son thought it was really cool because he watched it all happen on the screen with me. I am "hooked"!

Nick

23vgnxk.jpg

Mark,

I've got a tent I'll give you. You might want a quad or a sled to pull it around though. About a 6x6 black canvas affair that I mounted on a sled built from 2x4's & plywood. Only 2 holes but plenty of room to sit in lawn chairs (with room for a beer cooler between) instead of a 5 gallon bucket. If you're in no hurry maybe this spring my hunting-fishing-beer drinking-woman chasing (Wait- No we can't do that, we're both married to ladies that'd cut the jewels off) partner and I could find a reason to make a trip up to the Owatonna Cabelas. That would be a good meeting point between Iowa & St. Paul! If you want some pics I can do that when I get a chance, it's in the loft of my storage garage. Have to pull the boat & other misc treasures out to get to it!

Jim S

Jim,

You could always meet up with Mark in August at the Lacrosse get together. Better company than you will find at Owatonna. :>)

Ok, you got me there! Only problem is that I have a job and family that conspire to keep me away from that particular gathering! I do plan on trying to get up again this year, I've got a camper again so I don't have to worry about lodging! Ya Hoo!

Jim S

Mark,

I've got a tent I'll give you. You might want a quad or a sled to pull it around though. About a 6x6 black canvas affair that I mounted on a sled built from 2x4's & plywood. Only 2 holes but plenty of room to sit in lawn chairs (with room for a beer cooler between) instead of a 5 gallon bucket. If you're in no hurry maybe this spring my hunting-fishing-beer drinking-woman chasing (Wait- No we can't do that, we're both married to ladies that'd cut the jewels off) partner and I could find a reason to make a trip up to the Owatonna Cabelas. That would be a good meeting point between Iowa & St. Paul! If you want some pics I can do that when I get a chance, it's in the loft of my storage garage. Have to pull the boat & other misc treasures out to get to it!

Jim S

Thanks for the offer Jim. Being a rookie ice fishing guy, I don't realy know exactly what I am looking for. I do know that I wnat a flip over style fish shanty as I don't always want to be enclosed. I have fished out of the pop ups and the flip over type and the flip over type, in my opinion, are a better way to go. I'll also be using this ice shack by pulling it behind me on the early and late season ice so it has to be lightweight enough for me to do so. Finally, it has to fit in the bed of my Dodge Dakota pick up which I think is 5.5' long.

If this shelter fits these needs, I've love to have a look and purchase.

Let me know and thanks again for the offer. I'm in no hurry as I don't expect to have anything until next season anyway.

Mark W

I'll also be using this ice shack by pulling it behind me on the early and late season ice so it has to be lightweight enough for me to do so.

If Jim's is anything like I think it is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, pulling it around by hand will make a man out of you!

I'll also be using this ice shack by pulling it behind me on the early and late season ice so it has to be lightweight enough for me to do so.

If Jim's is anything like I think it is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, pulling it around by hand will make a man out of you!

You must have meant to say "...MORE of a man..." right Dave? Or, are you trying to tell me something?

Mark W

Mark I ran across this while on one of the lakes around Madison Wi. They were all home made. Made out of 1/4 ply except for the seat which was 1/2" or 3/4 ply There was variations among the ones I saw. The fishermen would pull them on to the ice with there equipment inside. When they got to where they wanted to fish they unloaded there pails and augar drill the hole and tip them upright. They would have short poles that canvas was attached that would stick out on each side and the top for a wind break. I would say the sides of the sled were 18" high. The simple diagram I drew shows a grarvy stile front. Some of them I saw were pointed like the front of a boat. The fishermen would either haul them in there pickup truck, some in the trunk of their car. The thing I liked about the design was that it never took them more than two minutes to set up or move. A lot of them had a door on hinges below the seat. One fellow had holes drilled in the seat which he said when It was cold out he had candle underneath the seat and a blanket on his knees and was quite warm. It would be pretty inexpensive to build. About days time to build except for a engineer about two days time( : )
View attachment Untitlede.jpg

Mark,

Here's the deal! Dave's right, what I'm offering might be a bit heavy to pull around by hand unless there's no snow on the ice. Also it's not a flip over. But if you want to be outside, step outside, drill a hole and go fishin'! Good part about this offer is that it's free! And I'm willing to go out of my way, make a visit to Cabelas in Owatonna (yeah I know it's a major sacrifice, but I'll get over it!) and deliver part way. Heck if yer really not in any big hurry I might even be able to schedule a trip to the cities & deliver all the way. Got friends up there I haven't seen in a while so might be a good road trip!

As far as fitting in a Dakota I used to haul this in the back of a 75 Chevy short box so I think it ought to fit. If you want to see pics give me a few weeks & I'll drag it out of the loft and I'll send a few. It's a good tent, just not getting used and I could use the room!

Jim S

Mark,

If you end up buying a sled mounted flip over, think of the ones with the swivel bucket seats like the Clam Fish Trap models. I fished from one this weekend and am sold. I spoke with a very serious ice fisherman today and he brought up the chairs for one to consider as you spend many hours in that seat. He also mentioned space and height. My wife and I tonight went and sat in a couple models with bench seats in them and found that this would not be ideal for more than an hour (our preference, maybe not what others would think) The two man vs the three man had about a two foot difference in in the distance the tent would sit away from you. This is your room for your heater so this seemed important to me. I already have a 6 hole suitcase unit from the old Matson Canvas that used to be on Payne Ave. It opens to 6 x 8 and is nice if you can drive out but when it is just me or just me and my wife or a buddy, no need to take that one as it will be simple to move a sled mounted one to a new spot if they don't start to bite.

Just a few thoughts for you,
Ron

Thanks for sharing the wisdom.

Last night I purchased, or made a deal to purchase a Marcum LX-5 flasher. From what I ahve read, as nice as the vexilars are, and the new bird flashers are sought after as well, the Marcum I thought had the best technology. Guy I am purchasing it from won it at a fishing contest on Forest Lake this past weekend for having the 100th largest fish - a .33lb perch. He already has a flasher and wanted to get the cash for the flasher he won. I got what I consider a fair price for a good unit.

Also startting to see many items come up on Craigslist. I figure the next few weeks will see many ice fishing items appear. Also starting to see the local pawn shops get in ice fishing gear. In time, I'll get what I need.

My only area where I don't know what I want is a shelter. From hunting as long as I have I do know that the way I intend to fish weight will be an over riding factor for me. The pop ups I have fished in this year have been less than satisfactory. The pull over types I have fished in worked very well. I agree that the seats used in the selters will make a big difference. The bench seat style did not work for me nor did the newer versions of the Clam shelters as the seats are way too small and very uncomfrtable - for my big butt that is.

Now to find an auger. Been told that 8" is the way to go here.

Mark W

You got yourself a good flasher.

I agree the flip overs are best for guys who want to 'hunt' fish. I have a Clam Kodiak. For a one man it is huge, I wouldn't recommend it though. Most of the extra space is out in front and back and not really usable. Look at something like their Nanook or the Frabill Trecker II, I should have. They are two person shacks that are really nice large one persons that can take two in a pinch. They are still light enough to pull OK. Sometimes sled shape is just as important as weight in how they pull. The smaller Frabill is suppose to be good if you want a true one man. For the most part Frabills have better seats then the clams, something to look at.

An 8 inch auger will do fine. I saw a 25lb northern pulled up through an 8 inch hole so don't let anyone talk you into a 10 incher "So all your fish will fit up the hole." If you can't tell I don't like 10 inch augers for many reasons.

Tim

Mark,

I was gonna tell you that if you decide WHICH shack you want, there are several on the GB craigs list (as I am sure others closer to you) and I will be heading over your way (Black River Falls) in about 1 month. Won't help much for this year, yet it would save you money/time for next.

Sounds like you are getting all set up. Good luck.

Mark,

I agree with what Tim said on auger size. A 10 inch will weigh more than an 8 inch, no need to add excess weight. I use a 7 inch power auger myself and find it just fine. Mine is especially light as is has less fliting (fluting?) than a production power auger. Mine is custom made from a 7 inch hand auger. I already had a good powerhead and altered the 7 inch size to run off the motor. Did that just to reduce weight.

The laker in my post above and the lakers below (biggest is held by me at 32") all made it through a 6" hole. An 8" hole is more than plenty for 99.99% of the fish you will ever catch. 10" holes cause more people to fall into them (ask my 10 year old about that one!)

2n0905e.jpg

2yvqfbp.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2n0905e.jpg

Back