Looking for some more help - totally ndr

Mark W

I know someone must make something close to what I a m looking for, of that someone on this site may be able to direct me to a company who may be able to help.

I am looking for a thin walled rigid tube, 1" or so OD. Length isn't important but to illustrate what I need, let's say it is 6" long. I need this tube to open lengthwise like a clamshell. To try to make this clear, I would like this 6" long tube to be cut in half lengthwise and a 6" hinge installed on one side. It would be nice to have a clasp on the non hinged side but I could always throw a rubberband around the tube when closed to keep it that way.

I figure I could make my own by taking a piece of PVC pipe, cut it in half lengthwise, add a hinge of some type from the hardware store and use the rubberband to keep it closed.

Any thoughts? While not duck related, it is fishing related.

Thanks guys -

Mark W

Mark,

Your very vague as to total design requirements but taking off on your pvc direction;

PVC for the tube
Piano hinge for the hinge
Piece of flat spring steel for the closure

Hinge size and thickness to suit. Spring steel width and thickness to suit. Steel strap could be drilled on one end to attach retaining cord to prevent loss.

View attachment Mark.jpg

MARK.
I AM NOT SURE EXACTLY WHAT ITS PRIMARY USE IS, EVEN THOUGH AS YOU MENTIONED IT HAS TO BE CIRCULAR & IS FISHING RELATED. WHEN & IF I CAN I USE THE KISS METHOD. HOW ABOUT IN STEAD OF BECOMING & ENGINEER,JUST PICK UP A TUBULAR CLEAR PLASTIC JAR WITH A SCREW ON WATER TIGHT TOP, YOU CAN GET ONE AT AN AC MORE CRAFT STORE, OR A PLASTIC JAR IN A GROCERY STORE THE LENGTH YOU WANT , EMPTY THE PRODUCT OUT & USE THAT.JUST TO GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE, I USE THIS METHOD THE SIZE I NEED TO KEEP ALL MY BOAT & TRAILER REGISTRATION IN ON MY VARIOUS BOATS. IT FLOATS ITS WATER PROOF ETC. HOPE THIS HAS GIVEN SOME TREND FOR THOUGHT. PAUL

I'm trying to. Hold somethIng to keep my spring bobber from getting wrecked. I have a couple of nice St Croix Legend rods and the spring bobbers are a constant worry. I had something that worked OK last year but want something easier next year. I was thinking to put very compressible foam in each half of the tube so that when it is closed shut the foam over the eyelets would keep it from moving around

Does this help?

Mark

I'm trying to. Hold somethIng to keep my spring bobber from getting wrecked. I have a couple of nice St Croix Legend rods and the spring bobbers are a constant worry. I had something that worked OK last year but want something easier next year. I was thinking to put very compressible foam in each half of the tube so that when it is closed shut the foam over the eyelets would keep it from moving around

Does this help?

Mark
How rigid does it have to be?

http://www.grainger.com/...ion-1WYF1?Pid=search

Cut a 12" piece of this stuff (its already split/scored lengthwise). You could also use it to store leaders.

I also found this stuff. Maybe cut it in half to 9", then drill a 1" blind hole 7 or 8" inches deep and slip it over the end of your rods.

http://sporting-goodsonline.com/...-6-x-18-inches-.html

Last edited:
Scott -

Thanks for the info. I can't see the last item you suggest (work filter doesn't like it) but I can tell you that slipping anything over the end doesn't work. The line gets tangled and if the spring bobber gets off kilter a little bit, it gets bent.

I've thought of the pipe insultion but didn't see the stuff you posted at any of the home stores. A trip to grainger may be necessary.

Mark W

Mark,

Your very vague as to total design requirements but taking off on your pvc direction;

PVC for the tube
Piano hinge for the hinge
Piece of flat spring steel for the closure

Hinge size and thickness to suit. Spring steel width and thickness to suit. Steel strap could be drilled on one end to attach retaining cord to prevent loss.

Thansk for the sketch and the PM's Dave. Hopefully I'ev got a lot of time to figure this one out.
Mark W

Does this help?

Mark

Not very sexy, but what about a piece of insulation foam (the split kind in 1/2 inch) with a couple rigid rods pressed into the foam along the length. This would be very light (which would reduce the chance of breaking the rod that would be increased by anything that protected the tip but weighed a lot).

Untitled.jpg

View attachment Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like you want something rigid. I'd be afraid that something like the plug protecter you show would have the opposite effect and break the rod itself where/when you bump it.

I know this is going to sound like overkill but I've tired of replacing broken/bent spring bobbers and rods. After I put the piece in place over the spring bobber, it goes into a rod holder bag. While it may slide forward and backwards, it only does so a little bit and not enough where it would cause the rod to break - I don't think that is.

This has been an evolution. I used to place the rods on the outside of a bucket with the spring bobbers facing up. this worked for awhile but wasn't perfec. I then bought a rod holder case (holds up to 4 rods) and I still ahd troubles. I then bought those flourescent bulb plastice tubes and cut it the length of the rod and slid this over the hole rod up to the reel. This worked OK and I didn't break any rods (but still bent bobbers) it was not easy to use and when it is dark and you are putting away the rods, it was not easy to do correctly.

I figre there has got to be a beter way.

Mark W

I figre there has got to be a beter way. (SIC)

Mark,

Quit fishing altogether, ship me your rods and your worries are over. Such a simple solution and a win win for both of us. I have the rods and you have no worries about bent spring bobbers. :>) :>)

I figre there has got to be a beter way. (SIC)

Mark,

Quit fishing altogether, ship me your rods and your worries are over. Such a simple solution and a win win for both of us. I have the rods and you have no worries about bent spring bobbers. :>) :>)

Tehn you will ship me back the cleaned fillets? Those trout pics you showed earlier sure look tasty.

MArk

Mark,

Tehn you will ship me back the cleaned fillets? Those trout pics you showed earlier sure look tasty. [/quote]

Oh they will be cleaned all right,,,,,,,,,,, cleaned right down to the bare bones. :>)

Mark, why not a piece of thin wall PVC that fits the whole length of the rod? I have several of different lengths that I slide the rods into. A couple holes drilled at the bottom end and a small bungee cord around the reel keeps them in place. They are longer than the rod, protects the rods well. Protects the rods in the backof the truck, even the kids in Scouts can't damage them on me! I had some clips that they snapped into in the inside of camper cover in my old truck.

Mark, why not a piece of thin wall PVC that fits the whole length of the rod? I have several of different lengths that I slide the rods into. A couple holes drilled at the bottom end and a small bungee cord around the reel keeps them in place. They are longer than the rod, protects the rods well. Protects the rods in the backof the truck, even the kids in Scouts can't damage them on me! I had some clips that they snapped into in the inside of camper cover in my old truck.

Do you do this with spring bobbers like the one pictured above? If I didn't have the spring bobbers, this would be an easy solution. I did the exact same thing you suggest but used those clear, thin walled tubes that you can use to put around flourescent bulbs (the long ones T8 or soemthing like that I believe). While this worked, it was not ideal and once the end of the tube hits the reel, the line goes tight and the bobber bends and you have to start over. You can leave the line loose and insert the rod and that works sometimes was well.

So, I have something very simialr to what you made, I'm just trying to sart now to improve upon it.

I called St. Croix and asked what they suggested - no idea. They did acknowledge the potential problem but did not have a solution.

Mark W

I am not familiar with the spring bobbers, but why not make the tube long enough to protect it, and the cut a slot in the tub to clear the line at the reel to not put pressure on the bobber?

I am not familiar with ice fishing at all, and I don't completely understand what you are trying to accomplish. But based on your description, and some of the other comments. Could you use a section of foam from what we down here in NC call a noodle? Swim float, about 6' long and 2" round with a 1" center hole.....Just another .02 cents :)

Back