Looks like i'll be migrating North

Tom Ryan

Well guys and gals, The Army is closing down my brigade down here at Fort Stewart, GA and I've gotten new orders to move to Fort Drum, NY. Not really looking forward to the cold considering i'm a southern boy born and and raised. I'll be there for a short time before I'll be leaving on an all expenses paid trip to the wild lands of Afghanistan sometime during the summer. Is there any hunting to be done around the area or does anybody have any room in their boat for a hunt or two while i'm there this winter? Hopefully it won't be as bad as everybody has said and i'll be able to meet some more guys from this site.

It's pretty cold up there in the winter Tom, but there is some good hunting. The St. Lawrence River has lots of good duck hunting and you will not be that far from there.

Tom, im in the fingerlakes. maybe 1 1/2 hrs south of fort drum. Id be happy to take you out this winter. i hunt mainly open water for divers but we have plenty of other options. good luck with your move.... mark

I had a friend who was stationed there for several years, he too was a southern boy. He said if he could live anywhere it would be there. From what he explained it is a sportsman's paradise.

Welcome to NY! There's a lot of great waterfowl hunting and fishing opportunities up around Fort Drum, between the St. Lawrence River and Lake Ontario.

I live about 1.5 hours south of there. We hunt mostly the open water on the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario. Give me a shout if you feel like making the trip down.

Last edited:
Tom,
Beautiful country in up-state, if you have never been there, I think you will like it. Especially the summers, which will be a big break from the heat and humidity down here. Winter is tough, but doesn't last forever. Having 4 distinct seasons is nice as well, unlike our two seasons: rainy $ cold and HOT & STEAMY.
Thanks for serving our country, be safe out there. What is your MOS? I was an 11B (Mech) in the AL Guard back in the day.

Ahh

Tug Hill. - nine months of hard winter, three months of poor skiing

Fort Drum is well known for upland hunting, but there are many areas for waterfowl near there

NY doesn't do a lot right, but if you spend some time on the DEC website you will find a lot of information on places to hunt

Tom - If the Polar Vortex returns, you will be impressed, but nothin' ya can't handle. You will find that up state, and western NY have much to offer a hunter and fisherman. Plus in my experience, the DEC will go out of their way to help you, as well as some fellow veterans and outdoors people. If you have the gift of gab, you will be in the right place, cuz New Yorkers love to talk (I'm gonna pay for that statement aren't I). Thank you for your service to our country, and may God Bless You and keep you safe.

i second vinces thanks for your service!! you are welcome in my boat anytime. if you find a spot up there that needs hunting,let me know and i'll bring my boat up to you!

any who,thanks again for what you do for us!!

bruce horning

Tom, I'm 20 minutes from Drum, Any time you need to get out let me know. My son was stationed at Drum, triple deuce. We lost him in Iraq in 08 and have met some of the best people in the world from Drum. Lots of hunting and fishing in the area, you wont be bored.315-286-1835

Back