Lund SSV?????

Carl

Staff member
Still got new boat fever. I've been compiling images, specs & stats, going over them all and basically making my self stir-crazy with boat fever. Sorta like some form of self-torture.

Any way, I am leaning heavily toward the Lund SSV hulls.

http://www.lundboats.com/2009_ssv_18_16_14.html

View attachment LundSSV.jpg

My reasons: great reputation, wide & deep, transome splash well, 15" & 20" transom options, relatively light weight for their size and have a walk-thru design (a must). Like the optional drop in vinyl floors and storage under back seats for battery & fuel tank too.
Does anyone have any thoughts on these hulls? I still have not decided between a 14 & a 16. Leaning towards 16 so I have the option of hunting 3 guys, me, the boy & a guest.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated as it will add even more fuel to my boat fever. :)
Also, if anyone knows of a bargain on a used one of these hulls, let me know. I may be able to talk the wife into purchasing early if I can get a steal.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Carl,

I'm with you on choosing a 16ft length. A sixteen footer will draft less water given the same load which means it will actually push about the same as the 14ft because the hull itself is only slightly heavier. Sure there might be a time or two that some little cut in the bank would fit a 14 when the 16 won't quite tuck in like you want but,,, everything is a compromise.

About the only reason I personally ( given your circumstances) would choose the 14, would be if storage space was an issue and I could not fit the 16 in the space I had. I suspect you will be pleased with the Lund. Did you say you had a 25hp for it?

I dont have a 25 yet, my plan is to buy a 25 yamaha 2 stroke. Hopefully, they will still be available next summer.
I may try my 18 Nissan 2 stroke on it just to see what it will do but eventually I will get a 25.

Sounds like we are on the same page as far as 14 vs 16. Another hull I am looking at is the smoker craft 15 dlx, which is 14'11", nice little boat too. Weighs the same as most of the 14's with a foot more room. Since it is only 70 more pounds than my 1440mv, I could probably run my Nissan on this one.
View attachment SmokerCraftAlaskan15DLX_A.jpg

Last edited:
carl, first off. definitely go with a 16. you wont regret it. cant go wrong with a lund but you will pay top dollar for it. even with a used one, the resale of a lund is great so the guy selling a used one to get another lund knows that. be tough to find a "steal" with a lund. but there worth the money. for a 16, i wouldnt put anything less than a 30hp and a 40hp would be ideal. good luck, mark

ps. have you checked out craigslist? im sure you could find a good deal on some sort of open boat like what your looking for....

Carl,
get the hull you want.
I think that you will be much happier and also safer in the bigger one. I would not hesitate to use your 18 on it if it is a long shaft and that is what you intend to wind up with in the end for a 25. But a short shaft motor on a high transom just will not work past about 4 kts.
I know you will not be the fastest boat at the ramp but you will be hunting. And when funds allow you can buy the motor you want.
The 16 will carry the weight of you and your gear better and give better stability than a shorter hull.
There are some smoking good deals on boats right now with most folks feeling the pinch in the wallet.
Craigs list seems to be the place for smaller boats in this class.

thanks carl ive got a dealer handy and im going looking to at a 18 alaskan get a dream price anyway....

Thanks for the input.
I had a 1994 Johnson 30 hp on my first bass boat. The second best running outboard I've evern owned after my present Nissan, I would love to find one of them in good shape! If I can find a good 30 2 stroke, I will go that route. I am leary about the weight of the 4 stroke 30s, draft is always an issue for us and I dont like the idea of hanging extra weight on the transom.

I've been checking Craiglist from time to time, still trying to figure out if I can do a nationwide search on there.
Not to many Lunds down here in Dixies, I've seen about 4 in the last 20 years and they were all had up-north stickers on them!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input!
Nice thing about all the boats I am considering is that they come in 15" & 20" transoms. There are a lot more used short shaft motors down here, plus my nissan is a short shaft. So what ever I get will probably be a 15" transom.

The only thing about these boats I didnt like was the floor plan. You cannot get it without the bench seats. I priced out an 18 with a 40 on it 3 weeks ago and it was 12,500. Look on craigslist for an 80's lund pro v or pro angler. Same exact specs and a 1/4 of the price and these hulls are like tanks. Go to cleveland craigslist and put in lund there is one on there now for one more day atleast lol!

Lund is the first name in Walleye and Muskie boats up here in the upper Midwest. Mostly 18-20 footers, deep V's with big Merc outboards, my son in law has a 20' Grand Tyee,a great boat.....but yeah, they are expensive.

Carl,

go with the 16'. You will not regret that extra 2 feet. I can not imagine down the road your boy won't have a friend that needs to go hunting too and if you have the 14', life is just more cramped.

I have a 16' Alumacraft with a 30hp evinrude REMOTE steer on mine and empty in summer, when the motor was a bit younger (a 1980 model) I could just tick 30 mph with my big butt in the boat. With a load for diver hunting/layouts/2 guys I am hitting 20 max, on a calm day.

I would not hesitate to go to a 30hp, the 25hp has me thinking you will regret it later as your boy or other buddies come hunting/fishing with you.

Love Lunds, good boats.

Good luck.

Eric

Carl,
I too struggled with what to get for my hunting and fishing needs. Most all of my duck hunting takes place on the coastal bays and lower Columbia River here in Oregon. Tides and fast rising tough weather are always a concern. Thus a very stable and seaworthy craft is a real must. I finally settled on a Smokercraft 15’ Alaskan model, powered with a 15 hp Johnson. This boat has proven to be perfect for the task. Stable, sturdy, and great high sided freeboard, but light enough that 2 guys can move it back to water if left high and dry by a falling tide. We hunt 3 guys out of it very comfortably, and still have room aplenty for all our gear and my 100lb lab.The one thing I would do differently is get a 25hp motor instead. The 15 is just a little under powered when fully loaded with 3 guys and equipment. You can find a used one almost daily on craigs list here in Portland for $2500 to $3500, boat motor and trailer.

Thanks for the input. I have gotten a number of positive reviews of the smokercraft 15 Alaskan over on Tinboats.com.
Given that there is a dealer an hour away (vs. 500 miles to a Lund dealer), I am starting to lean farther in that direction.

Carl,

searchtempest.com allows you to search multiple craigslists by state, city, etc.

I am in the Detroit area and used Lunds are hard to find in Michigan this time of year at any price. Everybody who has one is out walleye fishing. I would say a solid 70% of the boats I see walleye fishing the Detroit River are Lunds with the other 30% a mix of Crestliner, Alumacraft, Starcraft, etc.

Good luck in your search.

Buy the 18 footer and invite me to go hunting with you on your new boat. If I had the money I would have a Lund. To my way of thinking Lund is the Grady White of Aluminum boats.

They probably aren't going to get much cheaper, so if you can make it work buy now.

No one can have too many boats or shotguns.

Best,
Harry

Well, the 18 would be a little bit to big for my needs but you can come down & go sometime if we can work it out!
I've been searching the web a lot lately, sure wish I had the money to buy right now. There are some deals on both new & used hulls.

Back