Making a fiberglass coffin ?'s

Ken Scheffler

So I decided that it's time to stop bumming off my buddy for his coffin blinds, and build my own. I have nothing to start with and will need to build a mold, then make the fiberglass replications of it (I want to stick with just fiberglass in the finished coffin to save weight)

I got to thinking about it and the dimensions are going to be 22" at the head end, 19-20" on the foot end with a 10" height and about 6' long. My friends coffin has about a 1" lip that flares out off the top (gives you something to grab onto to move it around.

So if I was going to use 1/4" plywood and 1"X4"x8' boards to make the mold would it suffice? Just make a box shape out of the boards, then cover it with plywood? I had planned on laying the fiberglass on the outside of the mold, but in this case how would I make the lip on the top rim?

I am completely new to building things with fiberglass (as if you couldn't tell) so anything that I am over looking please let me know.

How heavy of fiberglass mat or cloth (which would be better?) should I use? One or two layers for the needed strength?

Thanks, Ken

Ken A few threads back if you search they are talking about a Hybrid vary similar to a coffin blind. A lot of good tips there about construction. Fiber glass and plywood. It seems in your post you want more than one. You can make a mold and take replicates off from it but it might just be simpler to just build more than one. It will probably cheaper and take much less time. The fellow who designed the hybrid gives away the plans and many people have built them.

I'm not sure how much weight you'll save going with Fiberglass construction.
If your only going to build a few than plywood and tape may be your best bet.
Chopped glass and gelcoats have a fairly large learning curve, and some specialized tools.

Wouldnt you rather have wood anyway?:)

I'm all about building things, but, I have two Drake Coffin Blinds. The same people that make the hunting clothing. They are made from thick plastic, weigh about 50 pounds and have doors on them like a ground blind. These were a lot cheaper than what it would cost me to build them from fiberglass/wood. I found them on the Drake Website.

Consider a 6' Otter sled, light, easy to drag, waterproof, and probably cheaper in the long run. It will also hold,haul your decoys and equipment, and float you, gingerly, in an emergency.

Yes, I use the blinds in flooded fields in Mississippi, most of the time the water is less than one foot. They are warm, I carry a dozen corks in each one, but you could carry more decoys. I grass them out with rafia and bamboo.

You can buy an Otter Predator Blind for $160 from The Sportsman's Guide

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/otter-predator-blind-marsh-brown.aspx?a=386233

For the cost of some of the manufatured coffin blinds you can buy a small duck boat to layout hunt in wet areas. The weight is about the same and you can use it to hunt lakes or go fishing. A marsh rat weighs 58# and they make an easy to use blind or you could mud the boat or attach bungee and weeds.

View attachment Image031.jpg
View attachment Image024.jpg

Re the OTTER from Sportsman's Guide don't miss the attached note, it almost doubles the cost and you have to be there to get it off the truck. At 33# that's not a big problem if your going to be home anyway but if you have to take a day off to be there?

"Please Note: This is a Heavy / Bulky item. $120.00 for heavy / bulky shipping and handling will be charged in addition to regular shipping and handling. This item is shipped by commercial carrier curbside. Unloading is the customer's responsibility, including off the back of the truck. Ships in 1 box: 78" x 33" x 10", 33 lbs. No expedited delivery. High-value orders require a physical street address, otherwise insurance costs will be added to the shipping total."

Re the OTTER from Sportsman's Guide don't miss the attached note, it almost doubles the cost and you have to be there to get it off the truck. At 33# that's not a big problem if your going to be home anyway but if you have to take a day off to be there?

"Please Note: This is a Heavy / Bulky item. $120.00 for heavy / bulky shipping and handling will be charged in addition to regular shipping and handling. This item is shipped by commercial carrier curbside. Unloading is the customer's responsibility, including off the back of the truck. Ships in 1 box: 78" x 33" x 10", 33 lbs. No expedited delivery. High-value orders require a physical street address, otherwise insurance costs will be added to the shipping total."

Wow, pretty hefty cost on shipping. It could be shipped via Greyhound Package express for way less than that.
Dropped off at Greyhound station and picked up by the customer at the nearest Greyhound Station. I've shipped model airplanes all over the County with GPX.
Lou

Ken,
Another option would be the "Mud Box" the we designed and market. It's abs plastic (vac. formed) and easy to assemble and holds up well to hunting.
Go to our website: www.lockstockbarrell.com and scroll down to "Mud Box" under Blinds.
There's also a pdf "how to assemble" on the page.
Let me know if we can be of service.
Lou

I am thinkin about building a hybrid. The financial monster has reared its ugly head and I dont have much cash for a nice big duck boat like I was wanting. Couple hundred bucks wouldnt be bad for one.

Back