Marsh Hen Hunting Thursday

Larry Eckart

Guys,
I moved to South Carolina five years ago with work after spending 26 years in Michigan working and hunting our favorite birds.

Our season for ducks doesn't start until Thanksgiving weekend. Early fall is the time to fish and hunt a queer quarry called marsh hens. I do so with a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 kayak transported by a 13' Whaler. The Whaler gets me to good places to hunt safely and the kayak is a hunting platform that combines safety, ease of use and terrific exercise.

To hunt marsh hens you wait until the tide is within 90 minutes of peak and paddle or pole through the local marsh grass called spartina. The high water limits the number of places the birds can hide. It's a bit like flushing slow flying pheasants while paddling a boat instead of walking though cover.

Marsh hens aren't fast but they present tricky angles that mimic the shots from a layout boat. My sit on top kayak is plenty stable for shooting in the usual range of 7:00-2:00.

Great fun! I plan on exploring rivers and swamps with my yak that jon boat boys can't get to.

Here is a link to pics on my Flickr site.

Larry

https://www.flickr.com/gp/riverlarry2/5Yo30g

Larry~

Great photos! I have always been intrigued by these birds. Clapper Rails/Meadow Hens/Marsh Hens have declined steadily on my native Long Island. I have never pursued one with a gun but hope to someday. (My sister will be retiring to Southport, NC.) Looks like a good opportunity for 20 gauge with #7 steel.

All the best,

SJS

Larry, count yourself as fortunate. You have decent railbird hunting which back in the day was sometimes referred to as "the sport of kings". Of all the public area bird hunting available in the US, I think rail hunting is the one most hunters will never experience and they will have missed out on something special.

SJ mentions a good point. Marsh hen/rail hunting is not a sport that is experienced by many. While rails are present from the middle atlantic to the southeast and around the gulf coast, it appears that North and South Carolina and Georgia are the focus of the population.

The sport has a historic following but not a current following.

There are others that hunt rails in South Carolina. But think about this the next time you are in a draw hunt of a managed area or at the ramp waiting to launch for duck hunting: in 4 years of rail hunting I have not seen ONE other hunter.

Down here in the Low Country I have heard it said that rails have a poor taste. The same people say that all divers taste bad. I think these are people who cook their game so long that it turns into some concoction God never intended.

I grill my rails to 135 degrees or so and they are terrific.

Today I had between 20-30 flushes. I hit my first four and missed my next ten. Ended up with five. Could have shot/shot at more but it was fun just paddling through the marsh enjoying a nice day.

Oh, I almost forgot. There are two others parts of rail hunting that might turn guys off. 1) It is work. You have to paddle or pole through the grass. 2) In September there are gnats in the grass. I just try to think of the Marines at Parris Island having to stand at attention for hours with gnats all around and I don't feel so bad with 'em flying around me.

Today there were no gnats.

Larry

Last edited:
Larry,

You need a hunting partner so you can take turns pushing. It's very enjoyable in a proper rail boat and based on the number of birds you're seeing a two-man crew could have a blast. Oh yeah, be sure to confirm with the locals that the railbirds taste lousy. lol

Larry,

Such fun to hunt these swift birds. We have the exact same opportunities here in the Old North State. The best part IMO about the super flooded tides that allow us to hunt the Sora/Clapper/Virginia Rails is the opportunity to Fly rod for happy tailing Redfish(Sciaenops ocellatus).

The lunar tides provide enough additional water for these fish to move into flooded Spartina grass flats and root up crabs and grass shrimp for a period of around 3-4 hours. I can assure you one of the most adrenaline pumping sites is seeing a redfish doing a headstand munching on small grass delicacies.

I STRONGLY encourage that you carry either a 7-8 wt fly rod or sufficient spinning rod any time you chase "Marsh Hens". It may make you forget about the rails and pursue these incredible fish instead!

PM me for any information regarding flies to throw or spinning lures that work. I am jealous that you have had a chance to make it out after the rails this year, and best of luck this duck season!

We never see the Clapper Rails up here, but most years we have a big migration of Soras, which we hunt the same way. I'd think hunting them from sitting in a kayak would be tough. I've done it in a small sculling boat with one partner poling while the other sits down low as he would if sculling for ducks. Shots were hard to make from so low. Success was much better in a bigger boat that allowed the shooter to sit higher or even stand. Being the poler is quite the workout!

Griffin,
Normally I do cast and blast. Yesterday I just felt like hunting and paddling.

I have an 8 wt. fly rod that I use for reds along with spinning equipment.

A couple years ago I had the experience of a marsh hen in front of me and a big red alongside me. I tried to get both and got neither but if anyone would have been watching, it was a comedy show of one excited "boy."

I've also found that hunting helps my fishing because I stumble across areas I would not have fished previously.

Good stuff both.

Be safe on the water.
Larry

I am glad you have taken up Marsh Hens/Railbirds. It is a pleasant past time that I took up 59 yrs ago, and with the exception of a small kerfuffle called Vietnam, a couple other military assignments, Korea and Alaska, I have hunted the Virginia Barrier Islands most years. I agree with taking a rod with you... it makes the day complete. I use a 9wt with 8wt line... cast easier in the winds you encounter. Not as many Redfish as you will find in SC, but you never know. I don't know when Teal season is in SC, but if it is in when you go for Rails, throw in a couple decoys and have a few shells for Teal. I stopped using a 12ga years ago and went to a 20ga... lighter and easier to handle poling or paddling. I had great plans for this year, picked up a sweet 28ga CZ.. but Doctor said no wading/hiking in the marsh, or waders until knee done. I talked him into letting me field hunt geese... ducks from a blind but no wading.. hell getting old. Be safe and enjoy a form of hunting that few engage in... I like them in a PotPie. R.Bell

Back