Meet Rico!

Cody, thanks for what you had to say. I understand having to leave your best friend with a buddy of yours. I am betting that she looked forward to seeing you as much as you did of her! There is nothing like being together with your hunting dog whether on a hunt, training session or being by your side in the truck maybe!

Best of luck to you when you get back out into that duck blind. As for me, our teal season just ended this past Sunday. I never fired a shot. No water where I hunt. Hopefully next year there will be some water in the ponds where I usually hunt. I will, however, be investigating the Rio Grande prior to our regular season opener which is towards the end of October and lasts until the end of January.
Al

This is what it looked like about 10 days after our early season last year. Unfortunately we have only had 3 rains since this past March.

View attachment _MG_8009.JPGView attachment _MG_8026.JPG

Hurricane Florence ended our real season just as it started last year. There was too much water. Thankfully Dorian didnt hammer the coast this year. My buddies seem to be doing well on the coast... they send me pictures to tease. Hopefully you get the rain you want!

Very cute Al. Will look forward to seeing Rico's development. I feel Pearl would never forgive me if I brought a lab puppy home.

Have a safe season.

Al, those are great pictures, as always. You and Bev sitting by thep ond with everybody-dogs and quail-must be a great way to enjoy your surroundings. You can't beat a road trip with your kids. When my daughter was a junior in high school, I told her that on spring break, let's go look at colleges. Make me your list of the places you want to apply to and I will set it up. So on spring break we hit the road and went to Bowling Green, Ohio State, Michigan State, Purdue, and Indiana in one week. We had so much fun it should be illegal. But to have that time one on one with your daughter is priceless. And now she is in her first semester at a Big 10 university and loving it and doing well. And it never would have happened if we hadn't taken trip. You can probably remember every day of that golf trip, I know I can remember every day of our college trip.

Hi Troy. Glad to hear that you and Pearl are doing well. That makes you a lucky man. What you said has a ton of merit to it and never forget that. I happen to agree with you. We sold a black female to a duck hunter about 3 1/2 years ago. One day I received a call and he asked when Habi and Chip would have their next litter. After some discussion he told me to put his name down because he wanted to have two dogs to hunt with. That I did. I guess it was about a month maybe that went by and I received another phone call. He then told me that after much deliberation he made a decision to cancel the female pup he thought he wanted. I then asked him why he did that? He told me that after spending the 3 1/2 years with his dog he realized that she was coming into that time of her life where she was darn good at what she loved doing. He talked about not wanting to rob her of this wonderful relationship the two of them had by bringing in another pup. I told him to be proud of that decision and don't look back. It was then that I told him that he actually had lots of time to get another pup and when that happens he will love watching his dog teach the new pup all the ropes!

Good for you, Troy!
Al

Sonora is our black female and Belize happens to be my house dog and newest member of the gang. I wanted to get her more involved because she just seemed a bit off and not as competitive as I would like. So I made sure that when we trained her that she would be with Sonora. At the time, it was Spring break in Wisconsin and Bev's son and grandson came down to do some 4 wheeling with us. I told Michael that while getting the attention of the dogs I wanted him to try and hit me with the bumper that he was tossing. Well, he did a great job. My camera takes 7 frames per second and I can also crop pictures so that gives me some options. Everything worked out beautifully and Belize did become more competitive. I can tell that for sure now because the last time I took her out, it was with our yellow sire, Chipotle. Chip has always beat her to the bumper but not any more. Now it is fun to toss doubles.

View attachment _MG_1520.JPGView attachment _MG_1522.JPGView attachment _MG_1527.JPGView attachment _MG_1529.JPGView attachment _MG_1533.JPGView attachment _MG_1537.JPGView attachment _MG_1539.JPGView attachment _MG_1540.JPGView attachment _MG_1543.JPG

Thanks, Phil. I am already looking forward to your Wisconsin season so I can look at pictures of your new retriever. Good luck when the season opens.
Al

Back