Merganser sausage

John Bourbon

Anybody who has ever spent any time hunting Lake Champlain will tell you that it has plenty of mergansers. Some days, you can't keep them out of the decoys. There have been plenty of times in the past where I let them pass unmolested when I didn't feel like fooling with them. A while back, Brandon made an offhand comment in a posting about merganser sausage, and it got me to thinking. Quite often that ends badly, but not this time......

I thawed out 6 skinless merganser breasts, trimmed all the fat off them, and soaked them in pineapple juice for 24 hours in the fridge. After rinsing them off, I cubed the breasts into cubes about a half inch in size. I bought a small pack of lamb shoulder and cubed up half of it. I don't have a meat grinder so I used the wife's food processer and "pulsed" them whole affair into what was almost a puree. After taking the mix out of the food processer, I mixed various and sundry spices from the cabinet into the meat by hand. I used Montreal Meat seasoning, various pork rubs, a tablespoon of finely cut sage, a dash of thyme, and table pepper. I fried up a couple of pattys and if anything, they were bland. No funky merganser taste. So then, I mixed in several heavy shakes of something we've had around the house, Kansas City Steak seasoning. I made a couple of more pattyies and brushed them with olive oil and grilled them. I brought them into work to share with some of the guys. We heated them in the microwave, some with cheddar on them, some with blue cheese and some with munster cheese. Success! All were pronounced not just edible, but good. My favorite was the one with blue cheese.

Next year the mergansers get no break from me....

John

John, out here I will just plain pan fry them. I actually don't mind them. Not sure of what they taste like out there though....but you got me to smile. I have 24 oldsquaw all ground up waiting to be made into sausage, just need the right time. I have a feeling those will be a bit stronger than I would normally want so I plan to probably go heavy on the pork.

Anyhow, congrats, glad they turned out well, give'm hell next year. Dang those darts come out of no where....

Venison Summer Sausage

2 lbs ground venison
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp mustard powder
½ tsp garlic powder (or I use fresh ground garlic)
Worcestershire sauce (small amount)
2 ½ tbls Morton Tender Quick Salt
1 ½ tbls Liquid Smoke

Directions:
Combine all ingredients well and shape into rolls and wrap in saran wrap. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Unwrap and bake on rack at 300 degrees for 1 hour. Re-wrap after it cools and refrigerate or freeze.

(Rolls should be cooked to 160 degrees F and measure ~ 6-8" in length and 2" in width.)

This is the recipe I use for brant and oldsquaw. Just substitute the venison with a 50:50 mix of ground waterfowl and pork.

Eric, I've fixed old squaws a couple different ways and
they were'nt strong tasting at all. Good luck and let us know how they come out.
John

Sounds worth a try now we got to wait till next year to try it out..around here we always let em pass...

I made Duck linguisa this year and it turned out great. It was mostly mallards due to fact that my outboard died the time of the season I start chasing scoters and divers. I initially put it into hog casings but have been just taking it out of the casings and making patties with breakfast or putting it into a breakfast burrito. If I remember I will post up my recipe tonight when I get home. Sausage is a great option for birds and it's not hard to do.

John,
Glad to see you tried it. I have not been back to Ohio yet to claim my mergansers for sausage. I left them in my cousin's freezer so I have not been able to try making any.

John, Linguisa is a Portuguese sausage. It is real common in the part of California where I grew up. The recipe I used is this

4-lbs duck breasts, coarsely ground
1-lb pork fat
3-tbsp paprika
2-tbsp minced garlic
5-tsp Mortens tender quick
2-tbsp liquid smoke
1/2-cup Apple cider Vinegar or red wine I used vinegar
1/2-tbsp sugar
2-tsp dried oregano
3-tsp freshly ground black pepper
2-tsp cayenne pepper

Thanks Neal. Did you have to cure it or anything after putting it in the casings? I've never made sausage with casings before, so the idea of just making patties sounds good. Could I just mix everything together, make patties, and fry? How about freezing patties?

I ground all my ducks prior to freezing this year and I also just ground up some beaver. My father in law gave me several 1 pound packages of ground pork fat. So I’m ready to go, just looking for some ideas.

Last edited:
John, I just mixed all the ingredients together then stuffed them into the casings. My plan was to smoke half of them so I can just throw a sausage on the the grill and snack away as an appetizer when BBQ'ing this summer. Problem is that I was busy doing other stuff around the house and they were in the smoker for waaaay to long. The other half I just put in the freezer. Each time I have cooked it I end up just squeezing it out of the casing and making patties so next time I may just freeze it into patties. I made breakfast burritos with it for two of us on the last day of the season and now my hunting partner wants to make some so I plan on doing more in the next few weeks.

John, Linguisa is a Portuguese sausage. It is real common in the part of California where I grew up. The recipe I used is this

1-lb pork fat
3-tbsp paprika
2-tbsp minced garlic
2-tbsp liquid smoke
1/2-tbsp sugar
2-tsp dried oregano
2-tsp cayenne pepper
This sounds delicious, is it anything like choriso?

1-lb pork fat
3-tbsp paprika
2-tbsp minced garlic
2-tbsp liquid smoke
1/2-tbsp sugar
2-tsp dried oregano
2-tsp cayenne pepper
This sounds delicious, is it anything like choriso?

Linguica is Portugese, Chorizo is spanish/mexican, but same animal(s)- sausage after all.

Back