mid range outboards? Prefered brands? experience?

Gene R.

Well I know this can be ford vs. chevy thing, not what I'm looking to start. I'm just looking for some personally experiences with 40-70hp 2 an 4 strokes and preferences. I've never had a anything bigger than a 25hp, and all 2 smokers. I have done some research mostly on the 4stks. After being around two in the past two seasons pretty sure thats the route I want to go, but still open to opinions.
The boat that needs motor is Dw 17 (glass model, pockets aren't that deep)what I need is to be used, tiller, 40hp min 70 max if I remember correctly, T&T, 2000model and up. So that leaves the brands, which gets confussing when you read that some companies own(ed) or make for others. I'm thinking Merc, yammie, honda & suzuki in that order. I've also read about removing restrictor plates/ring actually to boost Hp. Since some models of 4 strokes use same block/c.i. Other concerns are Parts, cost, service and reliabilty. Oh and is there some magic amount of years of salt water service before you should not consider a motor due to corrosion?
So, tell me what ya liked and didn't or any other advise you might have.

Thanks
Gene R.

Gene,
where you live dont even consider a salt water motor.
A fresh water one will go a long time but used stuff from the salt is a short life proposition.
I like the Etec motors but if you go 4 stroke you are crazy to not look the Honda over carefully in that HP range. But you need a dealer near by to help when you are down. I would try to find the local guy you will go to and then get a motor that he likes and services, unless you are a good mechanic and willing to tool up for the job.
If you want more power to show off buy it up front. Dont fool with the OEM setup or you are SOL on your own when the thing has issues.

I have had nothing but good things to say about my Yammie 2 stroke. She smokes when its been sitting up for a period of time but its not a problem. I have rebuilt carbs twice and 1 water pump. Its very simple to service with common tools.

I have a 30hp b the way.

I'm on my 2nd Honda 40 hp 4 stroke. It's used year round commercially in salt water, only regular maintenance, plenty of power on a 19' Carolina Skiff, and I expect, and get, at least 8 years on all my motors. Suzuki's are good too, a little heavier, and their warranty for Rec use is good. If you need 50 hp, the Yamaha 4 stroke is a little stronger then a 50 Honda.
Can't say about the E Tecs, they are not common here.

The MAIN thing for whatever you get is a local dealer,... just in case.

I have a 1993 Yamaha 60hp 2 stroke tiller. I have had it since 2006. I love the motor... It has never given me any problems.

Gene, This probably won't help your desicion but I have run a 3 cylinder 75 hp Evinrude with absolutly 0 problems since 1978. One summer I used 2 gallons of oil so it is not a prima donna motor. This spring it started right off with no special treatment at all. It hasn't been run much the last couple of years through no fault of its own but we hope to change that starting this week. If I had to do it now I probably would buy a Yamaha.

Last edited:
All points considered,Thank you. Missed a local 40hp honda for $900.00 yesterday. ugh! Motor will be run in salt but only in fall. But that is what Ithought of coastal salt motors forsale. Besides them being readily availible along coast the second problem is finding one with the tiller handle. One thing I forgot was that I'm put 15hp kicker on boat and it's 2 smoker. So, might be leaning back to them and only running one tank fuel filter system.

Thanks,
Gene

I have a Yammie 50 hp 4 stroke and have removed the restrictor plate. Its fast, quiet and economical and most importantly it starts everytime I turn the key. The Yammie tiller handle is the most ergodynamic out there. I love this motor.

I have a 2002 2 horse, 2001 6 horse and a 2008 25 horse Yamahas. Yamaha is is my opinion the best outboard made. I have owned Johnson and Evinrudes and the Yamaha are by far better with maintenance and better performers. You can't go wrong.
Jim/Fowlfishing

First thing that comes to mind is a 40 Nissan two stroke if you can find one or a Yamaha. They have great reputations and I've never heard of anyone having a lemon in these two brands. The new Evinrude E-Techs sure sound nice too.

"Oh and is there some magic amount of years of salt water service before you should not consider a motor due to corrosion? "
Well, my nissan has been run in brackish & saltwater for 10 years. I dont see any impact from corrosion other than a little pitting around the "pee hole".
If you are looking at a used motor, check the foot & the sacrifical anodes, it you see lots of pitting on the foot, be worried. If the sacrificial anodes are completely gone, be woried. That said, if there is corrosion on the inside, there's no way to see it.

I'll tell ya guys after seeing the tiller handles for yammies and hondas WOW! Compared to what Mercury has to offer, really....?. It reminds me of how the big three in detriot were out enginered with cars till they got there acts somewhat together. I can understand utility tiller handles on portable outboards but come on with mid range OB's. The merc tiller for mid ranges is a joke at least what I've been able to find listed.
I Worked on the boat today. I got my Optima Battery, fuel line & bulb, fuel tank in boat, & new hasp on lid. Started on, power winch on trailer, the guide-ons and jacklate for 15hp kicker also. The seat pedestals are sticking in floor they are the S.S. 2" pin style that go into floor. I guess I need to hone out or something any ideas? . I need to figure were and how I want to mount gps/graph too.
Thanks again guys, keep it coming if ya 'll have anything else to add.

Gene R.

While I was looking at boats a few years ago, I asked my mechanic about the various brands. The guy that was making a few buck a year on my Mercury motors told me that it was not worth his time and money to go through the Yamaha authorized repair classes because "the damn things never break down"

That boat has 2 yammies on it and has not been to see the boat Dr.

That's funny and good to hear. I'm finalizing a deal on a yammie. Not the quiet, smokeless, 4-stroke been looking 4 but more of what chk book can afford for now. And making my carbon foot print as big as I can. thanks j for the post, much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gene

Back