Might be a new gun in my future

gcs

Last day of NY season went rather well, really spanked the brant, 4 limits before the sun was completely up.
My 11 87 however is letting me down. This gun has been flawless since new of 1990. A couple times last year I had a couple hiccups of failing to fire the next cycled round, not light hits, but as if the safety got engaged, If you smack the side of the receiver it will usually work again. This year it's gotten worse to the point of 3 times TODAY.
I completely dis-assembled it, de-greased, and re-lubed it yesterday, new O ring. everything moves as it should and I can't get it to do it manually. Also, the recoil seems to have gotten way worse then I remember. The only thing I could not get to was the recoil tube thingee in the stock, couldn't drift out the retaining pin.

Anyway, after getting it fixed, I'll probably keep it as a backup. My conundrum is, what do I replace it with?

I'm leaning to a gas system for the softer recoil, (pacemaker), and thinking of a Beretta extrema2, or the Winchester SX3.

Any advice, suggestions, tips, or hints, always appreciated.
Thanks, George

George,

To get the recoil spring retaining pin out you need to press down on the piece underneath the pin with a small screwdriver or something similar. The pin isn't tight in there, it has a shoulder on each end to retain it.

I'm going to have to do some thinking on your problem, never heard of one doing this.

Jim S

Thanks Jim. I thought that about the pin, guess I didn't push down hard enough, I'll give it another try.
Some more info, when the failure occurs, the trigger has no give, but is "hard" exactly like when the safety's on.

If I unload and cycle the bolt manually, that will also "free" it up, and will then dry fire normally. I don't generally dry fire any gun, but manually racking the bolt and dry firing about 20 times can't get it to reproduce the failure.

George
I shoot a lot of different guns but I swear by Beretta 391. I did a lot of sporting clays and waterfowl hunting and the things just shoot huge volume of shells with no problems. I am not a big extrema fan but they are similar. I never shoot 3.5
inch shells so I don't need that. Plus a 391 is less expensive than a xtrema. i have several of them, for ducks i have a synthetic with 28" barrel. No problems ever.

Pete

You might try switching to 2 3/4" shells. They kill just as well, providing you hit what you are shooting at, they reduce recoil, and they usually cost less.

George,

Been doing some thinking about your problem. The difference between dryfiring/manually cycling the action and live firing is the ammo. The ammo slows the action a little bit. Sounds like the bolt may not be going into battery which would not allow the trigger to release the hammer. When you tap the side of the reciever it might jar things enough to let her lock up. Try giving the recoil spring a good cleaning, I usually use a bore brush to clean the tube out. If I remember right I think a 45 brush is about the right size. Also make sure you have a light coat of oil where the bolt slides on the carrier (just wipe with an oily rag, Tri Flow or Browning oils are good) and make sure the notch in the barrel where the bolt locks in isn't filled with grunge.

Jim S

I've had a similar problem with mine, and I intend to get a surecycle recoil spring assembly to correct it. I'll keep you all posted.

My favorite for years is my 11-87. Sounds like the recoil spring to me too. you can try cleaning it or replacing it with a new one or even a "Sure Cycle" kit.

I also like the Beretta 391. I bought two not long ago and gave one of them to my son. They handle well and I really don't see the need for a 3 1/2' shell either. If I did I'd probably go with the Extrema.

JMO,
Hary

One thing to think about is how the guns fit you. I have no experience with the extrema or 391. I like Remingtons, they seem to shoot where I am looking. I had a beautiful 302 Beretta 20 ga and a 390 12 ga and I could not shoot either one well. I also have a Winchester Suiper X-2 that feels good, but it does not hit well for me. I pick-up an old 870, 1100, or 11-87 and no problem. Why not take the 11-87 to a competent gunsmith and just get it fixed?

I'm definitely thinking a gunsmith would make short work of this. 1187s are not real complicated.

I have done a lot of business with a gunsmith in Minnesota who was a Remington Warranty Station for about 20 years.

PM me if you want the contact info.

NR

A trip to the gunsmith for a complete cleaning & replacement of the recoil spring sounds in order (if you cant do it yourself).
A lot cheaper than a new gun.
If you are set on a new gun, I have been shooting a Berretta "Walmart 390" for 5 years and absolutely love it. Made by Berretta for WallyWorld using the old 390 tooling. Best money I've ever spent on a shotgun. I paid $520 then, ~$550.00 now.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]"Why not take the 11-87 to a competent gunsmith and just get it fixed"

Well heck, anyone can do it that way! LOL

Thanks for all the responses, It looks like the recoil spring is the problem, I'll get on that now that Jim gave up the spring pin secret. If that don't work, then a gunsmith trip is in order.

[/font]

I picked up a friends Benelli the other day and shot it at a passing mallard. Yeah, I killed the duck, but the gun ROCKED my shoulder.

Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't all that bad, but after a few seasons with an Beretta Extrema 1 I have become soft.

The extrema is a full sized gun and is as nice of a shooter as you could ever ask for.

Look no further.....you'll be pleased.

-D

Back