MLB Chuck Huff

Ken R

Yesterday was the maiden voyage for my new MLB Chuck Huff. The boat is powered by an 198x Johnrude 15 hp. Ifollowed my buddy about 5 miles in the dark to his honey hole. The boat was amazing. Very responsive, shallow draft, turn on a dime. I could plant my big butt all the way back in the cockpit and reach back to steer, no handle extension ( I hate them things) and the boat rode level. Huge amout of storage space. Gas tank, 2 anchors, a push pole and a 2 piece 9' kayak paddle all fit under the fordeck. All the camo and cushions fit under the rear deck. My dog has a comfortable place to sit or lay. The spray shield is perfect. Coming home in the day light, this boat flat out boogies. No porpoise, no bounce, nothing. Tracks very well. Can't tell you how pleased I am with this rig.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v731/2dogs1949/Huff/

Dear Ken,

Wow, thank you for the nice words! It sure feels good when someone speaks kindly of your product.

Truthfully, I have been loving mine, too. We took it to Ontario a couple weekends ago, on a dual place trailer with Greg's Chuck Huff also. We used mine for the hunts in the incredibly heavy weeds, because I have a 13 hp electric start Scavenger on it presently. We towed an MLB Classic out into the slop, covered it with weeds, and decoyed Widgeon, Mallards, Redheads, Scaup, and several Canada geese. The Chuck Huff became a tender boat, shuttling folks back and forth.

In closing, have a great waterfowling season, and please stay in touch. Us BBSBers are a growing breed!

God Bless you and yours,

Mark

View attachment DSC_3961.jpg
View attachment DSC_3961.jpg

Last edited:
Mark, it was unbelievable how the Huff boat with the mud motor went through those weeds. It made it possible to hunt a part of the lake that was never accessible before. The one thing I really love about the boat is how quick it got up on plane. I had my 15 on the back and I was able to run at speed in parts of the St. Clair Flats that before I would have to walk my boat around. As soon as I gave it a little throttle the nose went down and the transom came up , gave me just enough extra so the prop was not dragging. Great job on the design. I am going to try and attach a few photos from our hunt. Its been a long time since I have been on this site, glad to see it is as great as ever. Hi to all. Greg MLB

View attachment DSC_3948.jpg
View attachment DSC_4002.jpg
View attachment DSC_4001 (2).jpg
View attachment DSC_3948.jpg
View attachment DSC_4002.jpg
View attachment DSC_4001 (2).jpg

Greg,

That last pic with the duck "puttin' on da brakes" says a lot about how well you guys were set up. Sweet boats and thanks for the pics.

What an excellent looking craft!! Looks like Mark has built another winner. After seeing these, I geuss I am in the market for another boat. Hey Mark, got any demo's you want to let go at a slightly reduced rate??
Congrats on the awesome boat guys!!

I am glad I got to the Tuckerton show early to see these boats before the new owners took them home. Mark was a heck of a nice guy to meet. Even noticed me later in day and came up to chat a bit more. I was like cool....Mark Rongers knows my name.

Even though I picked up a 12 footer this year to get started, I know I will be giving Mark a call for an upgrade VERY SOON. It's nice to know that some business owners still have a passion for the products that they produce.

Have a great (safe) season....can wait for the coastal zone to open.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike, It was the maiden voyage and she is still a fair maiden. Got to my buddy's honey hole and they just weren't there like they had been. Coming back down the river, must have kicked up 300 teal, woodies, blacks and mallards.
Always pick the wrong spot somehow. Ken

My opening day North Zone was a real kick in the pants. Sold my Benelli last year and used a "new" gun that I bought 7+ years ago and never fired it. Well, after the first shot something jammed and I could not pump the empty shell out. Here I am with woodies and teal buzzing all around my head and I had to completely take down the gun..trigger assembly and all just to get the shell out. By then the action was over. At least on Monday I folded a mature drake woody that I am getting mounted. People had the hospital got a real kick out of it when I told them that I "got a woody and I am going to mount it"

Glad the new boat is really working out for you.

Cheers,
Mike

Ken, that's a great looking boat. Best of luck with it. I'll be heading out tomorow morning for my first outing of the season since I've been away. We will get out together soon..............Kevin

Ken,
Nice post on the Chuck Huff. I got mine in July and each time I use it I am more impressed.
Have run it with a 3, a 6 and a 15 hp. Where I hunt a 3 or 6 is about all that's really needed. But for pure fun the 15 was a hoot.
Put a little 3 gal tank, and a garden tractor battery for the lights, under the rear deck.
The shelves are great. Plenty of room for fire extinguisher, thermos, sandwiches... .
People can't believe it's fourteen feet long even as they step it off.
Have hunted from it twice this season and expect to give it a good workout this week and throughout the remainder of the season.
Will learn how to post pics and put some up as time goes by.
MLB rocks.
John

Last edited:
Back