More Borneo pics.

Yukon Mike

Well, we went on that river trip to look for critters, saw a few. Went to Sepilok to the orangutan rehab, saw a few. And discovered jumping leeches in the bush. Fed a few. I hate leeches, especially ones that can jump on your head from above.

Here's a few pictures to start with.

We spent three nights at a camp on the Kinnabatangan River, and twice a day they take you out to patrol the river looking for stuff. It was a lot like moose hunting except it was nice and warm, even when it rained. And holy cow can it rain here. Like movie rain. The guides were great and very knowledgable.

View attachment DSCF4270.jpg

Saw several hornbills, including the Rhinocerous Hornbill which is really a splendid looking bird. This one is the more common Oriental I think. I whics I had a better camera as I didn't get many really good pictures on the river.

View attachment DSCF4224.jpg

Proboscus monkeys were a common sight. They are such a weird looking critter with the big noses, and they smell quite strongly.

View attachment DSCF4276.jpg

A monitor lizard doing his thing.

View attachment DSCF4309.jpg

Our camp was quite small, with only a couple of tourist boats and two for going to town.

View attachment DSCF4444.jpg

Very nice pictures, Mike. I started to wonder about warm rain. That had to feel good. Here, rain feels like it comes out of the frig.
Al

We even managed to Meg to come along on a jungle walk to look for stuff. I won't lie, it wasn't pleasant - very hot, very muddy, leeches, and hardly anything spotted due to us making lots of boot sucking noise schlooping through the muck - but I'm glad for the experience. I'll take bears and frostbite over steamy and giant bugs anyday.

View attachment DSCF4259.jpg

This would be a Hammerhead leech.

View attachment DSCF4649.jpg

A pretty flower.

View attachment DSCF4652.jpg

Another funky plant.

View attachment DSCF4703.jpg

Pygmy elephant. We were really fortunate to get to see these guys, not because they weren't around (we could hear them around camp at night) but because if they showed themselves along the river they were mobbed by tourist boats. This bull was about 5 yds from where me and Meg were sitting in the front of the boat. Way too close for this guy!

View attachment DSCF4406.jpg

I need a boot rack like this at home.

View attachment DSCF4448.jpg

Although we did get lucky enough to see several wild Orangutans on the river, I got no good pictures due to the rain. We went to Sepilok like Paul said to see them at the rehab there. It was actually a pretty good set up and I was happy to support it.

View attachment DSCF4602.jpg

A sign at the rehab to warn you about the other residents.

View attachment DSCF4664.jpg

And that's about it. Lots more flower pictures but nothing great.

I guess I really have mixed feelings about this place. Honestly, it is farm country now with little patches of bush that are incredibly diverse in the plants, bugs, reptiles, birds, and mammals packed in there. I don't feel optomistic things will get any better as far as conservation of habitat, which is really sad. It is no different than what we've done in Canada though, except that it was 100 years ago. I'm glad I came here, now, but if I had made a specific trip all the way from home to see wild Borneo, it wouldn't be worth it.

Next stop, Bali.

Mike

Looks like a really neat trip Mike. LOVE the elephant picture.

some freaky looking leaches out there too. WOW

Dani

I hate leeches also but it does look like it would be good walleye bait. :)
Jumping leeches would drive me as nuts as ticks do.

Tim

Back