More decoys

Keith Mueller

Here is another of my decoys. This trio of spectacled eiders/white wing scoter was carved from observations of the interactions between the two species. The drake spec eider is defending its sea cucumber quarry from a very tenacious and aggressive (asian ssp) white wing scoter drake trying to steal the eiders prey. The hen spec eider is having an unmolested meal of a Pacific blood star. The two drakes are carved on one keel, while the hen is solo.

View attachment se2.jpg

View attachment se1.jpg

View attachment se3.JPEG

View attachment se4.JPEG

View attachment se5.JPEG

I never tire of seeing these Keith. Awesome. Can't imagine how much time and thought went into the planning of these, let alone that actual carving and painting!

GHJKL.....

Nope my first reaction was the correct one...

There are no words to describe it......

I was working on carving a chop stick into a toothpick till I saw this....I just threw it away.....

Steve

Keith,

A day in the blind would perfect without any birds in the bag if those decoys were bobbing out front. Truely amazing.

What can be said that hasn't already been said.

Your craftsmanship and artistic ability are second only to Mother Nature herself.

Thanks for the pictures Keith.

I'm really looking forward to shaking your hand at Westlake.

Poor sea cucumber...stretching him out like a rubber band. And the blood star, the way he is desperately clinging to that hens beak. Never give up blood star! Oh, the ducks aren't half bad either.

Yeah, really those are by far the most creative and well crafted birds I've seen. Outstanding work Keith!

Steve

Well, those of us in the know, know that white wing scoters never eat sea cucumbers. Well at least one didn't, on that particular day anyway.

That's an inside joke guys.

Just as outstanding as the first time I saw them Keith.

Kieth tell us more about how you carve them.
If I saw those ducks I would just look at them.
You see the ducks and want to carve them.
How do you decide thats the one you are going to carving.
Then how long does it take?
Do you start and keep adding detail, do you know how it is going to look before you start it. When do you say it enough detail.
Do you work on them start to finish till there complete or on and off.
Are you happy with the results, do you find fault in your work that other admire?
Remember this is a duckhunting site not a carving site so most of us are clueless to the detail but we all admire your work.

GHJKL.....

Nope my first reaction was the correct one...

There are no words to describe it......

I was working on carving a chop stick into a toothpick till I saw this....I just threw it away.....

Steve

That about sums up my reaction as well. Wow!

Back