My new Brant II

John D.

Finally made the 7 hour drive to pick up the scull boat I purchased last April. It was an epic journey. People sure don't like when you're towing a little boat down I-95 at 60 mph. I'm lucky to be alive.

When I actually saw the boat I was quite pleased. It was even better than I had imagined. I see a bright future ahead of this craft serving a variety of Duck boat capacities.

The first thing I did when I got home was put the boat over. I stuck the giant paddle into the proper place and began to be blown down wind completely out of control. I fooled around trying to scull for awhile. I final gave up. Apparently I'm actually going to have to learn a new skill to work this thing.

This boat is super sweet. Check it out.
DSC_0357.jpg

DSC_0356.jpg

Sculling is fun, I trust you will enjoy the new to you float. Sculling, the technique, is rarely intuitive, two choices, find someone who can both scull and teach or get Lou's sculling video. Not sure if he's modified it over the last 10+ years but it was a hoot! It's also is how I learned, the gentleman who sold the boat to me was a great sculler but didn't know how to teach it. Lou's time in the class room shows, as he breaks it down into simple strokes and explains what your trying to accomplish.

Scott

Last edited:
John,

You're going to love that boat! Don't know if the prior owner told you, but stuff a rag between the backrests and the hull to prevent road vibrations from wearing a hole through the hull when traveling. It happens surprisingly fast.
Have fun,

Chris

Glad you got home safely. That looks like you will be duck hunting more than ever now. Maybe you should have gone 55mph. More of a challenge!
Al

To trailer the boat, I use a rope that goes across the boat and hooks on each side of the trailer. At each end of the the rope is tied to a loop of half inch bungee cord. The bungee cord goes through the eye of the hooks and I laid both end to overlapping in both direction. I use a piece of small line and used a rope end whipping technique to tie the overlapping ends tight together. It will look like circle with overlapping ends. When you hooks the ends to the trailer, the bungee will flex as you travel down the road and the rope will not cut into the boat. I use three tie-down ropes and one for the bow. You should also put a pad or something between the back rests and the floor to prevent wear. You will use this boat in a lot of other ways then skulling. Using a regular paddle, it will paddle like canoe.

Back