My new rig

RC D

I believe this is my first post so I will introduce myself. My name is RC, I'm 25 and live in Michigan (hunt Saginaw Bay). I started duck hunting when I was young and it kind of got away from me with year round sports and then into college. I graduated last year and went out with a coworker and was instantly addicted again. I purchased the boat in the fall and never got a chance to hunt it. I also just purchased the '58 Johnson 10.

Here's a couple pics of the rig. Dimensions are 14' x 5' and the cockpit is 7' x 3'. It's got some fast grass sides on pvc frames but I think I am going to make a dodger or a scissor blind. Anyone have any pics of a scissor blind on a BBSB style boat? Some of the gray paint is flaking off. It's acting like its latex paint. I plan on painting it a tan color and add some grass to the sides. Should I sand the gray and paint a latex or oil based?

My pup's name is Champ and he is currently 15 months. This will be his first season out.

View attachment ChampBoat.jpg

View attachment Boat.jpg

A dodger would be your best bet protects you from wind and rain when set up. You might want to file a flight plan that bbsb looks like it could fly.

RC,
Love your boat and that almost new motor. Make sure it starts real easy this summer, those old Johnys sometimes were a bit cranky if the points burned. A little TLC and she will hum. BTW what is your name so we can chat more friendly. You have now been bitten by a really serious bug, Welcome to the brotherhood of waterfowlers. Your pup looks ready to fly, my first lab wouldn't come down off the front deck for anything so I just let him ride there. Not maybe the smartest thing but no harm came from it.

Last edited:
Well actually my name is RC. If you want to get technical, it's Robert Charles. Although I don't think anyone has ever called me that besides my mother when she gets ticked off. I bought the boat from the same coworker who got me back into duck hunting. He said he purchased it from the original boat maker. I am not sure who or where the boat is from, but it was love at first sight. His intentions were to use it as a layout style boat, hence the gray paint. He never got a chance to use it as he found a deal on a Banks 2 man layout. I haven't gone through the motor yet, that's this weeks task.

What's the best paint to repaint the boat with? It's fiber glassed and the gray latex paint is flaking away from the original blotchy camo.

Welcome aboard RC, i'm twice your age + another 16 and still haven't been able to shake the bug. When asked by friends why i duck hunt i tell them "well it's not life or death, it's much more important than that". Have fun, this is a good place to hang out.
Bill.

Welcome.

A scissor blind is not going to work well for that small of a boat. Blind doors (field layout style) will be a good option and can be fabricated simply from EMT or other tubing. In a boat of that size your dog will be steping on them so PVC is not recommended.

However, I will recommend a dodger system over the blind doors. Less moving parts and easier to hide the dog behind you. Look at some of Bill Burruss posts on his boat dodger and you can see how easy and effective they are.

It you are wanting to sit up rather than laydown then the dodger will also work well. Get a turkey chair and make sure the dodger comes up high enough to be over your head. Not exactly low profile but will work once grassed.

There are those that recommend having the dodger in the back and shooting over the bow, but most have it the other way and hide behind the grassed motor. I think it comes down to personal preference and how one uses their boat.

Wow what a great find. My uncle had a similar motor back in the day but I believe his was an 18 horse. I have old duck hunting pics of him and my dad sea duck hunting and your motor looks similar. Best of luck with your new rig.

Thanks for all of the links, I am in the process of drawing one up. I tore into the motor yesterday and cleaned it up. Pulled the carb and cleaned the years of goop out of it. I cut some new gaskets and installed the carb. The carb is getting gas, but eventually there is gas coming out by the air silencer. The only thing I can think of is that the old cork float is so saturated that over time it wont float anymore. I think I need a new plastic float. Anyone have similar problems with old cork floats?

DeWayne, thanks for pointing that out. I have been searching on the forums and on the web to see if it was a designed boat or if the guy who made it winged something.

Great looking rig (altho that "lab" looks a bit fuzzy) Thoes old cork floats do get heavy fast if used with gasohol , I'd ck the needle valve & seat for a small burr or bad rubber seat too, if your having that gass leak after it sits not running for a bit, crack open the tank cap & vent pressure. Thoes old twin hosed tanks used bleed exhaust press to the tank for a fuel "pump". I still have my dads 1955 51/2 hp johnson. Good running old motors, but if it gets hard starting throw in a new set of plugs, his was very hard starting if it sit for more than a month not running, that old half pint to gal. oil mix is hard on plugs. good luck with your new rig!
Dennis

Browsing the web for some dodger material I cam across this site. http://www.fortune3.com/magnafabrics/Camouflage-1000_Denier_CORDURA_ACU_Camouflage.html
It's the cheapest I've found and is Cordura and 1000 denier. Is this to thick for a dodger?

This is a devlin BBII but the Dave Clark dodger is a huge added hunting plus and makes for a lot easier work of getting back to the ramp if the water blows up a bit during the hunt. Boat was built by Jamus Driscol. There are two boys hiding under it in the picture.

PICT0076.jpg

Well I took the rig out for the maiden voyage today on the river. Had the wife and dog with me at first and the 10 horse just wasn't enough to get us up on plane. I took it for a ride by myself and got up better, but still seemed to be pushing a lot of water. Boat will handle a 20 horse, so I'm searching for something bigger. It wouldn'e be too big of an issue, but I have to run 1-2 miles from the nearest launch to a couple hunting spots.

Here are some pics. First one is WOT second is slowing down.

Hey rc im not to far from you send me pm and ill show you how to get here i have simular boat and can help with a dodger we are currently painting decoys and getting boats ready
toooo much fun

WES

I also run a 25 on my Broadbill and it will get with the program. Tried a 35 but old timers here will remember that story. bulbblub.The only problem I have is with the drainage and am all ears for the easy solution for that. I think for me it may be time to build "my next last boat"

Back