NDR: First time fly fishing...

KThompson

Well, I should have never tried it because now I'm hooked... I have enough hobbies already without a new one to spend money on. The buddy that took me said it's not a "new one", just a bullet/sub hobby under the large umbrella of "fishing", ha. I didn't get to catch any trout or put on felt-footed waders and wade knee deep in boulder filled waters like they do in magazines but I had a blast catching hand size bream out of a large 1.5 acre private pond.

Seems I've seen several fly fisherman on here. Any tips on a way to start fairly cheap on a good fly fishing rod combo? I'm going to have one to borrow for a while so no rush but want to keep my eyes out for "deals" if something pops up.

Buy the best rod you can afford. There is not a real lot of difference between a $200 rod and a $600 rod, but there IS a big difference between a $30 rod and a $200 rod. Unless you're going after real trophy hogs, reels are not quite as important. A lot of fish fighting can be done with your hands. Of course, like anything else, there are as many rigs out there as there are opinions. Probably a good all-around outfit would be a six weight. There are used outfits out there, just may have to look around a bit.

Forget everything you learned about casting an ordinary, weighted lure. With fly fishing, the line casts, not the lure. Patience and technique is way more important than brute strength.

Check out the Orvis web site. I believe you'll have to register, but there is a tremendous amount of instruction available there. On plain 'ole youtube too for that matter.

Good luck!

Jon

Good for you Kyle. It is fun isn't it?

I am a fan of cheap rods, like Walmart cheap. When you are wading through the volumes of info on the topic try to remember that this is the supposed to be one of the simplest forms of fishing, like handlining. Spend as much as you want, whatever you need to have fun. There's a creek by my house here where kids fish with a piece of mono tied on a willow while balancing on downed trees. They catch fish and have big adventures too.

When you are selecting flies, nothing provides as good info as a fish's belly.

Good luck!

Mike

Panfish on a Fly Rod is still one of my favorite ways to fish, and get Food Fish. If ya think Waterfowling is addictive, Fly Fishing is the same deal. It does nicely to fill in the gap between waterfowl seasons. Just a note - If you like cheap waterfowling gear, then use cheap fly fishing gear. I have not bought a new fly rod, or reel in over 20 years, but I bought Good when I did, and I use em hard. I fly fish 6 days a week. It's a good way to find new huntin' places, and meet some really Good Folks. I still spin fish, and I'm far from a fly fishing expert and snob. It's just another outdoor challenge with deep roots and history.

We have two trout streams in town, and many more close by, but now it's Smallmouth & Panfish time.

I’m a part time fly fisherman. The rods I use range in price from 40.00 dollars to 400.00 dollars. The reels I use range in price from 40.00 dollars to 200.00 dollars. The lines I use range from 20.00 dollars to 85.00 dollars.
I HAVE NOT PAID FULL RETAIL FOR ANY OF IT. No way can I justify spending $400 for a rod, $200 for a reel and $85 on a fly line,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for the fishing I do.
I have a nice little 7 foot 3 weight Cabela’s rod paired with a low end Cabela’s reel that works very very well for panfish and stocked trout in the narrow little streams in Iowa. I’ve had it for years and don’t remember just how much I might have paid for it. I suspect that I could replace it for between $100 to $150 (even less when on sale). I am very happy with this combo for the fishing I do.
I also use a 6 weight set up for larger rivers and larger fish. It too is not extremely expensive but a bit more than entry level equipment. IMHO Most casual fly fishermen are well served using a moderately priced outfit. Most of us don’t get out enough to develop the skills needed to fully appreciate and receive the benefit from the upper end equipment.
I have a no name el-cheapo 9 weight which I purchased to throw large flies and chase Northern Pike . It gets the job done but is not fun to use. It wears me out to use it. I upgraded to a much better and more expensive rod. The better quality rod is lighter in hand and more responsive when throwing a cast. Yes, I actually enjoy using it.
So, I would recommend that you start with a 3 or 4 weight moderately priced combo. Use it on panfish, learn some skills, and then upgrade from there in the future. When the time comes to upgrade, you will have a much better idea of what you need or want.

Fly fishing- now you done it

lots of fun- even though trout and not often enough Atlantic Salmon are my targets- pan fish are just back to roots fun

as for gear, as stated above - don't buy cheap, but good rods do not start that high- ST Croix, TFO and some others make decent rods at good prices- for example - in a recent salmon rod comparison - the TFO ($250) model rated 3rd in the list of 10 - the others ran in the 700 to 800 range. Get solid reel but you don't need a Hardy (don't tell my wife I said that)

Oh man, Fly fishing can drain your wallet faster than duck hutning if you let it. I used to fly fish every chance I could until I had kids and got out of college. Anything from bluegill to small coastal cutthroats to Bass to carp to steelhead to chinook Salmon. I still have my quiver of rods and reels that I match to the targeted species. I have used fiberglass, graphite, and spliit cane rods and they all have there pros and cons. As said before for smaller game any reel will work fine becasue all it is really doing is holding the line. When you get into larger fish the drag becomes more important. I've seen more than one reels drag explode on a blistering steelhead run. That said I started off with a $20 outfit cause it was all I could afford and caught a lot of fish on it. As I became more proficient I spent more cash on my gear. There is a big difference between a $20 rod and $200. I worked a short stint in Fly shop in college and I can tell you that the mark up is huge! Look for a some used gear if possible and don't pay retail, maybe craigslist, because a nicer rod will speed up the learning curve and be more enjoyable to fish with. The Weight of line you choose will determine what you will be able to cast. Heavier line for bigger flies. I think for most fishing a 5wt is a good all around size for trout and panfish and can be used on bass if they are not to big and in heavy cover. When fishing for smallmouth which is what I mostly do now when I get time I put a 6wt line on my 5wt to help cast the larger flies. I could go on and on but figure out what you will mostly be fishing for and match your gear to that.

Contact LL bean. Speak with someone in their fly fishing department. They can hook you up. They have awesome beginer rod and reel pacakages. The rods are outstanding. They cast very well, will serve you well for years, and when you do out go it it will serve as a loaner or back up rod for the rest of your life. The reels are more than suitable to start, but they lack the durability for a life time of use or salt water use. However, by the time you wear one out you will be so hooked that a new reel will not even make you blink.

Once you are hooked solid ask your freind to show you how to tie some flies.

While Trout and Salmon are great on a fly rod, I regularly go after small mouth bass just for fun.

By far the most important thing is to have a line that is properly matched to your rod. I've had experience casting with "starter" outfits from LL Bean, Orvis, Redington and St. Croix, and all were more than serviceable and nicely balanced. I have no direct experience with starter outfits from other retailers, but have no reason to think they are not similarly suitable. I would steer away from Walmart or other discount outfits in favor of someone who will (1) have a knowledgeable salesperson you can talk to; and (2) stand behind the gear after you pay. If you have a local fly shop, they'll probably be helpful getting you started. Run for the door if they steer you right for the $600 and up rods.

For pan fish only, look for something like a 4 weight outfit with a floating line. For trout, a 5 weight or 6 weight is probably standard. For bass, 6 or 7. There's a reason the 5 and 6 weight rods are considered "all around". They'll handle everything from panfish to bass, but will not be suitable for pike, muskies, or most saltwater use. Eight and 9 foot rods are pretty standard. Anything longer is for specialty use. Unless you plan to do a lot of fishing on tiny brushy streams, you probably don't want anything shorter than 8 feet, although I have a couple of 7 footers I love.

The advice above about their being a big difference between the really cheap rods and the decent rods, and then a lot less difference between the decent rods and top of the line, is right on target. I am most familiar with the LL Bean outfits because they are close to me. Their least expensive option is around $80 and functional but pretty limited. For around $200 you can get a very serviceable rod/reel/line.

Decoy and gun shows are a good source for used flyfishing equipment. I personally like wood decoys and wood fly rods and have a number of them, paying the average price of $100.

Check ferrules and guides closely for hairline cracks and that the rod is good general shape.

Also reels can also be had at these shows for a deal. I've bought Hardys, Youngs, and Scientific Angler Reels, all between $20-$80.

A snobby bamboo collector/fisherman once asked me what make rods I had. Upon telling him, he told me I had a "blue collar" collection of rods. I took this to mean...I can catch fish, without a guide!

he told me I had a "blue collar" collection of rods. I took this to mean...I can catch fish, without a guide!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue Collar rods were the best selling rods of the major tackle companies like Heddon, South Bend or Montague made in the days before fiberglass took over

they were great deals in the whole, many times the same bamboo (maybe with cosmetic issues that do not affect performance) and tapers as the higher priced models with somewhat less expensive fittings. Blue Collar in the sense that a working man could afford one (still costly at the wages of the day) and still have a great rod. Many are becoming quite collectable.

I sometimes fish a Heddon #10 7 1/2 foot featherweight - absolutely blue collar and a blast to cast, it has survived over 50-60 years with only needing one foot of one guide rewrapped.

DO NOT under any circumstances start to Tie Flies, especially "To Save Money". It is the equivalent to buying everything to you need, for a life time of Carving/Making your own decoys. Doing both takes a helluva lot of time, when you could be Fishin'. Better to become Good Friends, with a person that loves to tie (8-12 flies everyday), and Is Not A Hunter, but appreciates you giving them lots of feathers, deer hair, squirrel tails, Hun skins, etc. Treat them Very Well, and the rewards can be very good. This is a lesson I learned many years ago, and you can use the money saved to buy rods & reels. Instead of havin' lots of Fly Tying Stuff you no longer use... and when ya croak, you wife or children will sell at a Garage Sale, very cheap.

Fly fishing is a great time. I used to do a lot, but since I bought a boat for the salt, I just don't have the time to do both. But I may buy a saltwater rig one of these days.... fly fishing is good for the soul. Nothing like getting in a stream and hearing nothing but the water running for a few hours. Looking for the good lies. Trying to catch that fish. I loved trout fishing, and the fly tying that went with it. And Vince is correct, I have lifetimes worth of materials, but that's ok. I spent a lot of winter evenings tying flies and restocking my boxes, figuring out my own patterns, trying different things. And as I got older, I became more of a streamer guy. I came to love streamer fishing because of the great strikes you get and there is always a chance for a big one looking for a big meal. Dry fly fishing is great. Nymph fishing is great. Catskill style wet fly fishing is great. There should be nothing but fun in your flyfishing future. Post pictures, I miss it!

Wow! There are more folks that fly fish on here than I realized. The area I grew up (and have recently moved back to) is so blue collar that you still see lots of folks fishing from the bank on 5gal buckets with cane poles... and others who are living in trailers so they can bass fish from their $60-70k bass rigs (money management issue... or living life to the fullest? all about perspective).

Fly fishing is just not something I ever observed back when I all I did was fish & hunt or I would have tried it sooner. It's my nature to want "a deal" whenever I buy anything so I'll heed the advice of many and try to get some of the better stuff when/if I can find them used. I've been loaned a 6wt rod/reel/line combo that should serve me well for a while.

Vince and others mentioned fly tying... I have to admit it draws me in after seeing a demo and then fishing with the fly he tied. But looking around his workshop, I realized it would be a money pit and have already talked about providing him with duck feathers, oil glands, etc. in return for tying a couple myself. Thanks to all for commenting as I've enjoyed reading about your experiences and getting advice from your perspective. I'll try to take some pics next time.

Kyle, did the saltwater fly fishing years ago. Fished for blues, striped bass and albies off Long Island. Started with a Walmart style fly rod and progressed to $$ rods and reels.
As was mentioned fly tying is a seperate sport. You can spend thousands to make hundreds of dollars of flies. Still a great year round sport...

Greg - You said it all in your post. I was a die hard Streamer fisherman for many years, for any fresh water fish in western PA, cuz the dry fly fishing was very slim. When a fish takes a Streamer on the swing, (no matter Muskie or Big Blue Gill) man that's what it's All About! Wacked myself in the back of the head once, with a Clouser Minnow (before I learned to chuck & duck). Man I saw Stars.... thought I was gonna have to take a knee in the middle of the River. Sure had lots of fun and caught lots of fish. Got boxes full of Streamers waitin' to Go To work.

Now I live, in what for me is Trout Dry Fly Heaven. 4wt, 7X and size 22-24 dries, been a long time. Got me a new pair of glasses, Transitions with Crizal, that are well worth the high price. My Old Eyes can see the files! Another note - Never Fly Fish without wearing glasses. I have hooked myself everywhere, and glasses have saved me many times.

By the way, the Blue Gill fishin' with poppers was very good yesterday... Real Good Fresh Food.

Another note - Never Fly Fish without wearing glasses. I have hooked myself everywhere, and glasses have saved me many times.

By the way, the Blue Gill fishin' with poppers was very good yesterday... Real Good Fresh Food.

Great tip! that's something I completely failed to ask was "how long until I hook myself?"... and "will it require removal from a Dr.?", ha. I had sunglasses on but removed them when it got late. Something like a yellow tinted shooting glasses preferred for late and early morning outings?

Kyle - Barbless hooks! No kiddin,' they can save fishermen, and fish a lot of Pain. If you don't Have To Wear Glasses to See, go with what works the best for you, in early and late light. Soon as it gets sunny, or P-cloudy switch to Polaroids, to help fend off glare and cataracts. I'm a old shcool Geezer who has worn glasses forever, now a days they make every kind of style.

Think protection & seeing very good when considering glasses, and get a Wide Brim Hat. Your ears, neck and face will thank you, but sooner or later you'll catch your lip, and then you can hear the fish Laughing... hopefully it will be a small fly.

Also make friends with Dr.'s that fish, so they can tell you, "that looks nasty, better clean it and put a band-aid on it". Been there, done that, even had to extract a tick, from a General Surgeon good friend of mine, while on a fishing trip. He asked me "Hows it look...?"

Enjoy your fly fishing & friends, they will provide you some wonderful memories.

Kyle, I'll echo what the others have said. It can be an addicting pastime and gear intensive, but it doesn't have to be. I bought my first fly outfit 25+ years ago . It was a mid-level set-up that I could afford.

I rarely use it around home but enjoy breaking it out when I head north to Maine etc....I guess my point is try out various outfits and buy what "feels" good. My setup while not expensive has taken everything from Pike to Brook trout.

Here's a couple pics from this week up north.

Well, I should have never tried it because now I'm hooked... I have enough hobbies already without a new one to spend money on. The buddy that took me said it's not a "new one", just a bullet/sub hobby under the large umbrella of "fishing", ha. I didn't get to catch any trout or put on felt-footed waders and wade knee deep in boulder filled waters like they do in magazines but I had a blast catching hand size bream out of a large 1.5 acre private pond.

Seems I've seen several fly fisherman on here. Any tips on a way to start fairly cheap on a good fly fishing rod combo? I'm going to have one to borrow for a while so no rush but want to keep my eyes out for "deals" if something pops up.

Kyle, I have to admit that when I was bitten by the fly-fishing bug while living in Alaska, it nailed me right between the eyes. In no time at all I had gone out and purchased a very good rod and reel. I had a great fly tying kit which I thoroughly enjoyed. It has been mentioned here and I will only reiterate what they said. Don't buy cheap quality rods and reels. It really defeats the sport. I would wait until I had saved up the money to buy a good combination that felt just right to you "in the hand".
Back in the 60s, I was using a 4 1/2 ounce Fenwick two piece flyrod. I also had a backpacking model that I really liked.
Good luck. Don't short change yourself.
Al

My fish of choice was the sockeye salmon aka "red". Those sea run salmon that came up the Kenai river to the Russian river were the ultimate. To latch unto a tail walking red is just fun to think about!

Back