NDR Hoyt bows....

Having this bow be your very first puts a whole new light on the subject. With no muscle memory they are ALL going to feel like they don't fit. Buy a good brand at a respectable draw weight. I don't know your build or strength but most guys shoot around 60+ lbs. I have tons of muscle memory because I have been shooting for 50 years and my hunting bow is set at 72.

Remember this, when we start shooting success is 90% equipment and form and 10% mental preparation. As you get better your realize that it changes to a point when those numbers are just about reversed. Practice, practice, practice. Join a league. In my experience archers are always willing to help a new shooter with their equipment and form.

Have fun, it's a great sport.

Nate,

I will echo what everyone else has told you.

There are lots of decisions to make. While all bows make some noise, not all noise is created equal. When I lived in upstate NY I shot in a local 3-d archery league. Granted, this was a 15+ years ago and bows have advanced significantly. But, some bows mage a dull thump while others sounded like a large tree limb cracking. The other noise to be concerned about is noise made while drawing the bow. This is noise you need to listen for when it is out in the woods, deer 5 yards away quiet. Not in a bow shop with lots of background noise. The noise made by an arrow moving across the rest is the only bow noise to cause me problems. You also want to check whatever bow, rest and arrow combination you get when they are wet.

The guy that got me into bowhunting alway shot a Hoyt bow. I started out with Bear's and now have an XI Legand Magnum, 15-20 years old.

As with most things in life, start out simple. Any animal hit in both lungs is dead.

Be careful, as with most types of hunting it can become addictive and time consuming!

Have fun,

Tom

I've only been bow hunting for 4 years so I'm not expert but I've been surrounded by expert bow hunters for years. My buddy Adam Carpenter from Marquette gave me his Hoyt AlphaTech the year I decided to do it. I think it's a '99 maybe-the first split riser style I believe? The classic overdraw with short arrows. At the time it was top of the line and I shoot it really good. I like it quite a bit and the quality is VERY HIGH on the Hoyt bows I've seen including this one. Mine is wicked quiet for an older bow but part of that is Adam's customization. I still shoot aluminum by the way. Haven't made the switch and probably won't until I get a newer bow. It's right about 70lbs and I haven't had any problems drawing once I got used to it. All my buddies that have newer PSE's and Matthew's etc have a bit of an issue drawing my bow initially which should tell you how much easier the new ones are to pull. I'll bet this bow weighs twice as much as a new bow...maybe three times as much. Whenever I shoot a Matthews I have issues with stability becuase I'm used to my hefty bow. One complaint is the "back wall" is a bit mushy on this one....you really need to be sure and have it fully drawn. Not sure if the new ones are like that but I've heard a few things. To me it's like the old Chevy/Ford argument really. If you buy a decent one you can't go wrong.

Back