NDR My Old House-wiring help

Tom Wall

I started a "small" project in my 89 year old house this morning. Installing a ceiling fan. As expected I ran into a surprise rather quickly. When I started to remove the existing light I found a capped gas pipe from the original gas lights. I didn't want to cut the pipe not knowing where it ended up. I was able to cut a shim out of luan and install the ceiling fan. Other than the gas pipe everything else went smoothly. I stopped for lunch before replacing the dimmer switch that controls the fan.

I have yet to do anything in this house where I do not find a surprise and end up spending lots of time figuring out what was done and how to overcome it. My wife and I have a running joke about how many trips to the hardware store it will take to complete a simple job.

After lunch I started to change from a dimmer switch to a toggle switch. Here is where the "fun" begins. The dimmer switch was mudded to the wall. I was able to pry it out without removing big chunks of plaster with it. Then I encountered the wires. I thought I had it figured out but I no longer have power to my ceiling fan. Everything else on the circuit works.

Here is what I have done. I installed a single pole toggle switch. There are two wires that come into the box and one set that goes to the fan, I think. I combined all the white wires. I ran a pig tail from the black wires to the switch and then the remaining black wire to the other pole of the switch. Since I replaced a dimmer switch do I need a three pole switch? Hooking up the white wire that was attache to the dimmer to the toggle switch? I haven't done anything to kick the breaker yet. And, I'd like to keep it that way.

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to call an electrician for 5 minutes of work.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Member of my Thursday a.m. men's group is an electrical contractor. I'll print out your post and let him see it tomorrow.

tom u must have a electrical tester and find out where the power source is at the fan or at the switch? when u have this info pm me and ill walk u through it

Tom,

My buddy read your description and said the capped off gas pipe is a the common way that was handled. Said there was usually also a fixture added that became the electrical box. As for the wiring, he says you must have something wrong, but can't tell based on the info you provided.

Saw Mike's post; best you give him a call and let hm walk you through.

Last edited:
Bob,

Thanks for asking. A lot of the electrical wires are run with the old gas pipes. When adding a seperate circuit to my upstairs bathroom I had lots of fun trying to snake the new line past the pipe and existing wires!

Tom

Is there another swith to the old light switch somewhere maybe that could be the source of your problem?

Mark W

Mike,

You are the man! Your question made me rethink what I was doing. I just assumed the power was at the switch but it is at the fan. The fan is now working!

You have made my wife a very happy women!

Thanks,

Tom

PS Someday I'll be re-wiring some of these circuits and will probably need some more help!

Did you use a"fan rated" box to mount the fan on? I assume you installed a paddle type fan, if you did, you'll want to mount it to a fan rated box, that's mounted to a ceiling joist, or to a block between between the joists. They also make ones that expand to mount between the joists, but anchor to the joists with screws. In any case, fan rated boxes are fastened with large screws, and are built sturdy enough to withstand the weight and torque forces of a paddle fan fixture. A fan mounted to a standard box may eventually tear loose and come crashing down.

Back