NDR- Tools and deer

Gene Jr.

I just found some pics from when I went to VA muzzleloader hunting earlier this fall. I had a great time and was able to catch up with an old friend. He owns the land but now lives near me, 8 hours from the farm we hunted, he rents the house and farmland out and keeps the woods for hunting. We had over 16 hours of travel time to get caught up with each other!

We had a great hunt, well everyone but me. Four of us hunted for two days and ended up with 3 bucks. I was the odd man out. I saw lots of deer but no horns at all. Other guys saw a few deer each but all got nice shots and made good on them. 3 for 4 on bucks with no misses. All small 4 point. A nice rack buck was seen in the field the last morning by my friend as I hunted just inside the woods edge and he ate breakfast because he killed his buck already.

Part of the goal for the trip was to retrieve some of my friends shop equipment and move it back north with us. Loading the lathe and table saw was an adventure. Both units were in a reefer unit sitting on a cut out in the hillside beside his polebarn. We had to take the equipment out the side door of the reefer unit and down onto the truck and trailer.

[inline loadinglathe.jpg]

[inline loadinglathe1.jpg]

[inline tablesaw.jpg]

[inline loadedup.jpg]

[inline barn.jpg]

I thought you all might find the loading procedure interesting!

Best wishes,
Gene

View attachment barn.JPG
View attachment loadedup.JPG
View attachment loadinglathe.JPG
View attachment loadinglathe1.JPG
View attachment tablesaw.JPG
View attachment barn.JPG
View attachment loadedup.JPG
View attachment loadinglathe.JPG
View attachment loadinglathe1.JPG
View attachment tablesaw.JPG

Gene,
That looks like a ride and a half down those planks. We have pictures here at the yard of the old days when they used to move the boats on rollers and cribbing. Boy did they move some big stuff.
Deer hunting sounds pretty good down that way. Thanks for the pictures.

I'm sure moving those big boats was really something to see! Not that we really need it, but it's a shame so much of that knowledge has been lost forever. I'm sure there was a real knack to doing that so no one got killed.

Moving the lathe went VERY smoothly. It took some time to set it up but it was time well spent. It loaded itself right onto the truck once the blocking was all in place. We ended up snubbing it off to the tuck and nailing the planks to the floor of the reefer and slowing pulling out from under it. You can't really get a feel for that part from the pics. The hoist made easy work of the tablesaw. We chained it up and pushed it right out the door onto the trailer.

The hunting was/is really good there. That was my first time coming home empty handed. My friend had gone to using a muzzleloader or pistol exclusively so he didn't burn through his tags to fast when he lived there. He could never get the hang of "trophy hunting", they all look like trophies when they get in front of him! He's had several good bucks run up and sniff the now dead doe laying in front of his stand! Now he waits to see if anyone is following the does that are running.

I can't believe I have to wait another ten months to go back!!!!!!!

Gene

Gene

Looks like you've got some nice old arn there. I can't tell the make of the lathe or tablesaw. Maybe an old Monarch lathe and an American or Clement tablesaw.

Eric,

I wish the equipment was mine! I'm not sure what make they are. Powermatic sticks in my mind for the tablesaw but I could be WAY off base. Both items came out of schools at some point. With a 2 hour drive I have use of both plus some other equipment. I have to plan ahead to make the best use of my time if/when I go. My friend and I both have young boys that we are dreaming of making a matching pair of youth PA longrifle flintlocks for. I'm sure that will require a few overnight trips to his shop! In college we both had TC 54 cal. flintlock kits we had purchased SEPARATELY at different places and times, with CONSECUTIVE serial numbers. We were both sitting at our appt. kitchen table cleaning them when we realized the consecutive numbers. Very cool find! I'm hoping the matching guns for the boys will bring them the same friendship we share.

I'm fortunate enough to have a large bank barn at my house. I just need to make some repairs and get a good solid floor in place and then I can start collecting some "arn" of my own! I love seeing your restoration pics. That old equipment has so much life left in it.

Gene

That tablesaw is something other than Powermatic. They never made a cast iron base tilting table saw like the one in the pic. They began making tablesaw in 1965 and that saw looks pre WWII. I bet it cuts very smooth given it's mass and probably oversized bearings. I bet I could post those pics at owwm.org and find out what make it is if Gene is interested.

Eric

Eric,
Here is the reply I got when I asked my friend Zach who owns the saw. I think you two would get along!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Gene It is a Crescent. Made somewhere in Ohio. I can look at it tonight if you are curious. I suspect that it was falt belt drive (my uncle larry calls them 'flap' belts) off a lineshaft originally. It has babbit bearings on the saw arbor. The arbor is fixed and the table tilts with a worm gear for changes in vertical angle. With a piece of any size this is a pain, so I often use an angled pusher and cut horizontal angles if I can. I guess you adapt to what tools you have to work with. The saw is heavy enough that it does not vibrate much, especially since I did not dare push the envelope on the babbit bearings so the arbor is only going about 2000 rpm, or a little more than 6000 fpm with a 12" blade. From what I remember circular saw mills typically run somewhere more than double the FPM but that is both art and science to make them cut good, and I have only a tenuous grasp on either the art or the science. The table saw came with a 14" blade. I have not priced one since the price of steel doubled but a carbide tipped one was about $125 five years ago when I bought the saw. If I need to cut something that thick the sawmill is the way to go anyhow. I have been boring out 5/8" arbor 10" sawblades to fit on the 1" arbor so that when I wreck one resawing used lumber I am only out $15. Well, that is more than you wanted ot know anyway. by the way how did the deer woods treat you this year? Zach
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Zach also has a portable band mill he made himself, that is what he is referencing in the response. I'm going to email him the link to this page and maybe get him to sign up and get involved. He's not a "boat person" but has plenty of skills! Gene

This is the info on the lathe per my friend: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Gene The lathe is a south bend all right, 13" swing, approximately 19" between centers. I think it is a it is a 'TKL', shares alot of parts with a 10L, or what is refered to as a heavy 10". I dragged it home from Detroit, Michagain (got it on ebay, price was right) when William was 4 months old. I caught a few ZZZ's on the way home. That was the best nights sleep I had had in four months. Couldn't open the pics on the link you sent me, I'd love to see them. I guess I'm better with rusty, greasy things than computers. Zach
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Gene

Back