NDR- Winter Olympics

RLLigman

We always make a point of watching the CBC coverage of the Olympics. This year is no different, but two things stand out: South Korea is doing an excellent job of hosting the games. Canada is having a bang-up games! I am even beginning to appreciate the nuances of curling! A bit shhout out to Minessotans for Jessie Diggins' performances. Bless her heart, she even remembered to thank the wax technicians for the quality of her skies after each race. The team relay should be worthwhile watching.

Love the Olympics. Regarding curling, our son was dating one of the Anderson sisters who just lost out on going to the Olympics this year. She went to Russia during the last Olympics but couldn't quite get there this year. An outstanding young lady. I was amazed what they have to go through to be in compliance with the drug testing protocol and other thingsone would never think of.

Mark

Mark W said:
Love the Olympics. Regarding curling, our son was dating one of the Anderson sisters who just lost out on going to the Olympics this year. She went to Russia during the last Olympics but couldn't quite get there this year. An outstanding young lady. I was amazed what they have to go through to be in compliance with the drug testing protocol and other thingsone would never think of.

Mark
USADA is no joke...Some of its ridiculous too, especially for something like Curling, and since the cheaters always seem to find a way to cheat.

I love the Olympics in general though.

Love the winter Olympics , local luger Chris Madzer I've watched since he was a teenager along with Hamlin and Britchner. (my daughter was luger). The Canadian coverage is the best .

Each Thanksgiving we used to have several XC-ski development team athletes from the USOEC site as guests for dinner, via my involvement with the site and XC programs in Marquette. During one of those dinner prep. conversations a couple of USOEC athletes related the first-day introductory conversation with their new Cross Country Coaching staff "advisor" Nikolai Anikin and his wife Antonina. The US Olympics Organzation officials had swapped a pair of downhill coaches with the USSR for the Anikins. Nikolai was a celebrated XC skier, medaling in two Olympics and coached several Olympians in the Soviet XC team's program. Atonina had won silver and bronze in previous Olympic classic races, one of the USSR's top performers in Olympic competitions. At that time interval, routine doping was a rumor swirling around the Soviet block ski programs, as well as for some European XC skiers and programs. One of the US skiers was talking about skiing in a race in Estonia, having to deal with drunks wandering out onto the course and crowd members chanting, Ha, ha, ha, U. S AHH!, as he or any US skier skied past them. The conversation evolved eventually to Nikolai's introduction to the team members his first day at the facility. He was standing at the front of the room discussing his approach to systemized heart-level training and the value of keeping detailed training manuals, when he was asked about recovery approaches; did he support active(engaging in low heart rate elevating exercise) or passive(rest) recovery, and in what proportions. He was nearly finished with his answer, when he stopped and turned to one of the U.S. Coaches to ask him, "Vere es de Doktorr to administare recovery medicine?" The door "swung open" for the folks in the room as a number of knowing smiles were exchanged among audience members and coaching staff...low dose steroid use was a common practice in their training program!

I took part in a multi-day classic technique clinic that they taught for the Superiorland Ski Club. I learned a great deal, despite the language barrier. Antonina would just swat you with her ski pole to get your attention to demonstrate what she wanted to correct in your form...I got swatted a couple hundred times.

The Anikins defected to the U.S. when their visas neared expiration, settling in Duluth, Mn.

Last edited:
It finally happened for two of the most deserving and talented XC-skiers in the U.S.A.

Without playing spoiler, the background point that makes this more significant when contrasted with Bill Koch's silver medal, is that Bill won his medal forty years ago by perfecting and using what was largely a novelty ski stroke technique; employing it on the flat sections to minimize his energy expenditure and hold his pace high. In subsequent years the marathon skate was banned from XC races, resulting in strict classic technique (watch skiers cheat when navigating through corners) and skating disciplines, eventually morphing into what is now freestyle technique within XC skiing- separate ski styles, boots, poles, and waxes.

Excellent ski prep. and waxing, too, which has been evident throughout these competitions for the USA team; the last piece of the puzzle to come together.

I've turned into a curling watcher. Don't know the chess like moves used, but learning. The tv coverage is poor. More hi lighting of who is who, can't tell by the uniforms is the heat of the battle. jmo
Drugs have no place in ANY sports. One warning, suspension and Ban after that. All school athletes should have mandatory testing. jmo

curling is kind of like shuffleboard(the ones you find in old taverns), except on ice. I was astounded to discover that even the small town of Mortlach, Saskatchewan, had a curling rink. Pretty neat activity, eh?
Kudos to the women's hockey squad. I am paying for it today, BUT, watched that entire game into the wee hours.

George - where we would stay in Sask. both the husband and wife were on Canadian Curling teams, back in the day. Very impressive for such a small town. Curling & Hockey wonderful traditions for the entire family. The new "brooms" are high tech compared to the old ones.

When Sweden was defeated by Germany in men's hockey, I thought Canada received a nice "gift" in their medal quest, since Sweden was eliminate from gold medal contention. I was wrong, Germany is currently up 3-1 on the Canadian team in the second period. CBC announcers are starting to talk alternate medals.

Last edited:
Back