need a little help picking a boat.

greg bilello

hey guys how are you. I need some helping picking out a boat to build. I am very new to duck hunting but I am already addicted! I live on long island and will mostly the great south bay and the marsh around it, so i need a boat thats going to handle some chop and also needs to get in the skinny. I'm looking for something that i can fit 2-3 men a dog and gear. I know it is going to be very costly so i'm looking to build it in stages. thanks for all the help in advance.
-greg.

Greg ,

Welcome to the addicting world of duck hunting , for what you describe i would look at the Devlin line of boats or equivilent , the TDB is nice but i think for the marsh grass you guys have it may be a little high in the grass to hide , i would recomend the Devlin snowgoose or an extended Cackler , i built the Cackler a few years back and love the boat it handles a good chop and hides pretty well in the marsh , it is tight for 2 guys and a dog and i built mine with the traditional transom not with the motor well for added cockpit room for fishing and hunting the Snow goose will handle the 3 guys and whatever else you want to park in it , checkout Andrew's snow goose blog for more info on his boat .good luck and enjoy, nothing like hunting out of your own boat !!!

Dave M

thats a big boat to build,maybe you should look into purchasing one already built like a tdb 14 or south bay

Yes, you can buy a used boat much cheaper than you can build one.

Devlin Scaup or BBIII.... Some may say BBII... but I am just not a fan of the displacement hull on the II... I have friends that use a III out by Martha's Vineyard.

Back