need suggestions

Capt. John O

Looking to buy a good pair of binos instead of the cheapos I have a half dozenough pairs of. Checked out the meopta cabelas brand 8x42 but I'm not paying 900 bucks for a pair of eyes. Checked out the nikon monarch 5 and 7s 8x42 not bad but I'm still stumped on a pair that will make me happy for a fair price any other thoughts tips suggestions? Looking for a nice all around pair for scouting and hunting

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking to buy a good pair of binos instead of the cheapos I have a half dozenough pairs of. Checked out the meopta cabelas brand 8x42 but I'm not paying 900 bucks for a pair of eyes. Checked out the nikon monarch 5 and 7s 8x42 not bad but I'm still stumped on a pair that will make me happy for a fair price any other thoughts tips suggestions? Looking for a nice all around pair for scouting and hunting

Excellent binoculars will run you more than 900, but you already know that. I'd look at The Vortex line if I was looking for an economy binocular, they seem to get good reviews and have a good warrenty.

Eagle optics has always been good to me. Between work and personal use I've bought well over 10K of glass from them and I've always been pleased with the interaction. Give them a call.

T

Look at the Vortex line. So far some are made in China and some are made in Japan. That will change in the near future as the get their mfg. plant in Madison, WI up and running. I have a pair of the Vortex Vipers in 8x28 and really like them for what I needed them for - constant carry while bowhunting. They weigh half of what my 7x42 Swarovski weigh and at a fraction of the price. Unconditional life time warrantee - I saw binos and scopes at their office that had been burned in a fire, bitten/chewed on, shot with a rifle, etc. and they were all covered by warrantee.

Yash~

Binos are just like shotguns - the most important thing is FIT. They should come up and be where you are looking. So, best thing is to try them in person. Of course, the image must be crisp.

I always by lower-end ($150 - $250) binoculars because I always want them handy. I give them only reasonable care and am happy if I get 10 seasons from a pair.

I picked up a pair of 8 x 32s (I usually use 8 x 42) a couple of years back - and they are now my everyday glass - mostly because they are handy and take up much less space. They always hit what I'm pointing at and I've never felt "undergunned."

All the best,

SJS

I own one good pair and they usually stay in the house. I do gun shows and pick up clean second hand ones for the truck, duck boat. They sit there and get beat up, then they get the deep six or can. Go into the cellar and grab another pair. I'm tooo hard on them...

I bought a pair of Bushnell Legends 10x when they first came out. Price was just a squeak over 300 bucks. These have bounced around the bottom of the sneakbox, been dropped out of the tree stand and are still as clear as the day I bought them.

I've had Stieners for years, until they started to fog up. Now for the past 3 years I've been wearing Leupolds. So far so good. The more money you spend, the better they get, pretty much. Check out birdwatcher's reviews on binos. They're smarter than duckhunters and have more money. haha (joke)
-

The tough part Is the store demo. There's only so much you can do. My buddy suggested we go check out the Audubon society since they do rentals, but I'm afraid there going to have nothing but High end glass..

I have a pair of Leupold Acadia 8x42. They work for what I want them to do. I don't glass anything for a long periods of time and don't really care if I can see every whisker on a deer's chin at 300 yards. I think for the price they are pretty good.
If I was going to be on a mountain top glassing for hours I would want better but for scouting and a little casual bird watching these work for me.

Tim

The tough part Is the store demo. There's only so much you can do. My buddy suggested we go check out the Audubon society since they do rentals, but I'm afraid there going to have nothing but High end glass..

I can't speak for your local Audubon, but the one at the nature center here carries everything from cheapos for kids to top end optics. As I recall, the member discount is pretty good, too.

Spend a few bucks on good glass. You will be glad you did.
I have 2 pairs of Stiener and they are fantastic. Not cheap but very rugged.
I usually keep the Steiner 7x50 Commander XP with Compass in my boat all the time. Very good in low light conditions.

I'm a believer in optics. Makes my time outside more enjoyable. I have many pair and my use depends on the detail/low light conditions needed, being carried or stored, and in duck/goose hunting, getting the crap beat out of them.
When duck hunting I like a compact, around 8 power and I've had great luck with my Leupold Gold Rings 8x25. Lifetime warranty has been used in the 20+ years I've owned them.
Any good store should let you, with a sales associate, go outside and compare glass in your price range. Try reading the small print on signs and focus ease of use to help you decide. Good luck with your search.

I can second the other guys that said Vortex. Last summer I picked up a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10x42's and I'm really, really glad that I did. They are a huge improvement over my old Bushnells and they were really worth it on the big game hunts last fall. I had the chance to compare them side by side with my buddy's $2000 Swarovskis and while there is a difference it's not huge. I managed to find them on sale for $550 and they are worth every penny. They have an unconditional lifetime warranty too, it's hard to beat that!

Another vote for Vortex.

I bought a pair of 8x42 diamondbacks for about $200, good optics for the price, and the guarantee can't be beat.

I dropped them hard on a rock while turkey hunting, the objective lens broke loose inside the binos. I called Vortex and told them what happened. They told me that they repair, or replace their product, free of charge, regardless of what caused the defect. Long story short, I sent them back, the binos were not fixable, and 10 days later I had a brand new set delivered to my door..........and they paid the return postage to boot.

It's hard to beat that kind of customer service.

Gibby

I have a pair of Steiner Military/Marine. They have served me well and have taken a lot of abuse. I think you are looking at a couple hundred for them.

Just buy the most expensive pair you can afford, As stated Vortex are good but I'm a Leica guy. The new Leupold Mojave are very nice glass for the money and like Vortex they have a life time warranty

Back