neoprene jackets

greg setter

Sponsor
While looking at a company talked about in the recent wader post, I found they sell a neoprene jacket. It was something that caught my eye as I have never seen one before. I like the waterproof idea. No good for warmer weather, but might be good for later season boat hunting. I do all of my duck hunting out of a sneak and I am thinking this would be good for rainy weather and also be warm. Does anyone here have one or ever had one?

While looking at a company talked about in the recent wader post, I found they sell a neoprene jacket. It was something that caught my eye as I have never seen one before. I like the waterproof idea. No good for warmer weather, but might be good for later season boat hunting. I do all of my duck hunting out of a sneak and I am thinking this would be good for rainy weather and also be warm. Does anyone here have one or ever had one?
They,ve been around for years but have faded from the catalogs in probably last 10 or so, maybe more. Main complaint I recall was they wouldn,t breath and thus sweat you bad with any exertion same as Neoprene waders would thus trapping in dampness in cold weather.

I have one by Kobuk, never used it. Bought it years ago for layout boat hunting but decided my Camo Mustang Floater Coat was a better option for safety. Both coats trap your perspiration with any exertion.

Neoprene is the last thing I would consider to keep ya warm. As others have stated ya sweat and the moisture Inside gets cool and cold very quickly. Many years ago my gunning partner and I bought Neoprene Wind Surfing Gloves (not cheap) to use while duck hunting to keep our hands "warm and dry". They did neither. We damn near froze our hands stiff in very cold weather. Good thing we had our "other" gloves.

When I do wear Neo waders (seldom now in Geezerhood) I make sure I wear a moisture wicking layer close to skin, a warming layer aka wader pants, and then the Neo's. Thank God for Breathable Waders, very good clothing, hat, gloves..... and plenty of Hot Hands in every type they sell.

my 2 cents

Had Same experience with neoprene gloves!

Carl,

As you well know. Duck hunters are ALWAYS trying to find gear that will make the hardship of Duck Hunting less painful and more comfortable. Those special things that will give us that "edge" to improve our hunting experience. So we buy this, and try that, and the "edge" is the same as it pretty much has always been. In the ducks favor, and the folks that sell us the products we think may help us.

Best regards
Vince

Neoprene is a double edged sword…. Typically it is binding and uncomfortable. I spear fish almost monthly even through December and there is no way I can imagine wearing typical insulating layers under it…wind cuts right through it.... on cold water dives with cold weather and wind we almost always put on a lined wind breaker while on the boat

Neoprene can be very warm but as stated it doesn’t breathe at all .. so you will sweat and get cold under it … but it weirdly keeps you warm underwater

Not trying to push a brand or be a brand ho but my Sitka duck oven jackets or Dakota hoodies with a waterproof shell have been the best I have found..

Rode with my buddy all day 11 degrees ..getting splashed on the boat .. Had expedition weight merino, thick fleece shirt, primaloft vest and the duck oven hoodie.. by end of the day jacket was so frozen it would stand up in its own but i was warm enough .
IMG_9226.jpeg
IMG_9224.jpeg

Even if I was wearing my 8mil cold water suit .. no way I would have made it through the first hour

I've got an old Herters neoprene jacket I've had for probably 25 years. I don't get to hunt much anymore so I have worn it in a couple years. The only thing I ever used it for was the boat ride. It was great for blocking wind and spray. I've never had to wade much the way we always hunted but I always had neoprene waders. Only wore them when it was bitter cold and windy. They kept the wind out good and add in the jacket on boat rides and I don't remember being uncomfortable with the temps we would see here. I can't imagine trying to shoot in that jacket though, it was not great for mobility and flexibility.

Never wore a neoprene jacket other than a wetsuit. I can see where it might be cold if you sweat. One positive if a neoprene jacket is worn for duck hunting is flotation if you end up in the water. The opposite of a water logged traditional jacket dragging you down.

Good stuff here and thanks for the replies. JasonM, your use is exactly why I brought this up, and that is the way I would use it, to block wind and spray. I am not worried about getting overheated and sweating because I would not be involved in an activity where that would happen. I am not walking in to spots or wading 100 years across mud and wouldn't be. I was thinking of it for transiting in the boat, and on rainy days when it is around 40 degrees or less.
That being said, I like what you had to say about the gear you are using DHinton. Neither the Dakota hoodie or the duck oven are listed as rain gear, and that is a must to keep water off. What did catch my eye is the delta pro wading jacket. I do not like long coats, they are a PIA hunting out of a sneak, and I prefer a jacket to a parka style garment. That might fill the bill and give me the performance and uses I want this for, and will probably go with that. Sitka is good stuff, and I get it if it costs too much for many, I just look at it different. What is the value of the product short and long term? I don't like buying things twice. It is why I have high end simms waders for fly fishing, a filson winter coat, and allen edmonds loafers, and why I live in the town I do. The current pair of simms is new but the last ones lasted me damn near 20 years with a minor repairs around the neoprene booty seam tape. I don't need a lot of stuff, I just need good stuff. And my old jacket? Have gotten 20 years out of that, but it is gore-tex also, and the water resistance on that material does wear out and you can't really fix it. In todays dollars I paid as much for that as the delta pro costs now, and I got my money's worth and think this jacket would give me the same or better.
I also use neoprene waders for colder weather hunting, and again, I am launching the boat, getting into it, going where I want to hunt, pulling it in the grass, and that is pretty much it. The amount of strenuous activity is very minimal unless I get caught on mud when the tide goes out, which I am pretty good at avoiding these days. Sweating is not an issue in that usage, and they keep me warm and dry.

Good stuff here and thanks for the replies. JasonM, your use is exactly why I brought this up, and that is the way I would use it, to block wind and spray. I am not worried about getting overheated and sweating because I would not be involved in an activity where that would happen. I am not walking in to spots or wading 100 years across mud and wouldn't be. I was thinking of it for transiting in the boat, and on rainy days when it is around 40 degrees or less.
That being said, I like what you had to say about the gear you are using DHinton. Neither the Dakota hoodie or the duck oven are listed as rain gear, and that is a must to keep water off. What did catch my eye is the delta pro wading jacket. I do not like long coats, they are a PIA hunting out of a sneak, and I prefer a jacket to a parka style garment. That might fill the bill and give me the performance and uses I want this for, and will probably go with that. Sitka is good stuff, and I get it if it costs too much for many, I just look at it different. What is the value of the product short and long term? I don't like buying things twice. It is why I have high end simms waders for fly fishing, a filson winter coat, and allen edmonds loafers, and why I live in the town I do. The current pair of simms is new but the last ones lasted me damn near 20 years with a minor repairs around the neoprene booty seam tape. I don't need a lot of stuff, I just need good stuff. And my old jacket? Have gotten 20 years out of that, but it is gore-tex also, and the water resistance on that material does wear out and you can't really fix it. In todays dollars I paid as much for that as the delta pro costs now, and I got my money's worth and think this jacket would give me the same or better.
I also use neoprene waders for colder weather hunting, and again, I am launching the boat, getting into it, going where I want to hunt, pulling it in the grass, and that is pretty much it. The amount of strenuous activity is very minimal unless I get caught on mud when the tide goes out, which I am pretty good at avoiding these days. Sweating is not an issue in that usage, and they keep me warm and dry.
If you want to stay dry the Delta Wading Jkt. by Sitka will do it. No insulation though so consider that but wind also doesn,t get thru it.

Only if you want to look like this guy.
That is exactly what I was thinking Jeff. Never could find one of those anywhere. And thanks Roy, I hadn't realized that but glad to know it, will just get it bigger and wear a liner jacket like I do now anyway.

Back