New 16ga on the market

Hank Yorke

Browning is re-launching their "Sweet Sixteen". I don't see it replacing my REAL Sweet Sixteen Auto5. However, I'm thrilled to see a new 16ga hitting the market. Hopefully shells, non-toxic specifically, will follow.

The price is a little steep, but the weight looks great @ 5lb 13oz!

original.img_zpsar9hdi1t.jpg

http://www.browning.com/...5-sweet-sixteen.html

Last edited:
I'm betting there are going to be a few of them in the pheasant fields next season. The price is too steep for me but the 16ga, especially under 6 lbs, does hold some allure to me...some day I'll need a simple single shot 16 like my dad started pheasant hunting with.

Tim

I Sure do wish 16 gauge shells were more common and readily available. I Iove my sweet 16--had it for 26 years.

I would like to have one. My new 12 Ga. 3" A5 is 7 lb. 3, and kicks like a Missouri Mule. It will cycle every thing from trap loads to heavy 3" mag. loads.

Just to stir the pot:Why do they keep trying to resurrect the 16 ga? The 3” 20 ga dealt it a critical blow, followed by the gun and ammo manufacturers piling on. I started hunting with a 1930’s Stevens 16 ga SxS and when it was my daughter Meg’s turn, she took her first ducks and goose with it. But seriously the 3” 20 ga has better guns, ammo selection and generally a slightly higher payload then the 16. I understand the square load theory for lead field loads but with chilled shot and today’s better wads, is the benefit real?

When I was loading for it and shooting at clay targets frequently, I liked to load a 1oz target load. Then Remington stopped selling the wads and all that were available were the 1-1/8 & 1-1/4 wads. Which meant inserting filler wads. Good hulls didn’t exist and the fibber bottoms and 6 pt crimps were poor requiring a candle nearby to drip wax on them to seal.

I’ve thought about bringing her back out for stocked pheasant, but seriously, my 20 ga Benelli is such a pleasure to shoot and provides the awh-5hit 3rd shot that actually helps me maybe once a season. 20 ga ammo is less expensive and has a much better selection, although I simply shoot 1oz steel 4 duck loads, as my mental computer isn’t sharp enough to handle the different leads required by significantly different loads. Experience tells me, if I have to think, I’ve missed.
Bottom line for me, the 16 ga is relegated to the nostalgia corner. If I ever buy another new scatter gun, it will either be a SxS 20 ga. or a replacement for my worn & rusted out SBE.

Scott

The first shotgun I saved my hard earned $$$ to buy, was a 16ga Ithaca model 37. Never put a recoil pad on it ,and it beat the hell outta my shoulder shooting lead for years. It's been replaced by a 1935 Model 12, 16 ga. that is my Favorite "Shoot Gun". Best all around shotgun for doves, ducks, pheasants and western grouse I ever used. Hand placement and balance are right where they should be.

Trying to find non toxic 16ga. shells to feed it, has become a real problem. For years I used Winchester Super Steel 2's, 7/8oz, with zero barrel problems. Now trying to find any 16ga steel is a challenge.

Every time that Browning brings out the Citori 16ga. I always say I'm gonna get one, but never have so far...

The 16ga in my opinion is a superior gun than the 20ga. 3 inch, but then again I'll take a 10ga. over a 3 1/2" 12 ga. any day of the week. Both for me are like trying to put 10lbs of poop in a 5lbs. bag. It all boils down to, to each their own and what works for the individual.

That's why they make so many different guns, wouldn't it be boring if there was such a thing as the PERFECT 1? Personally the 16 is one of the very few that doesn't get the wheels turning, I happen to be a 20 ga guy since whenever. One that does kinda keep coming back to the top of the list is a 20 ga SXS frontloader. Ya I know but it works for me.

Just to stir the pot:Why do they keep trying to resurrect the 16 ga?

Apparently it must be profitable at the intervals they are choosing. Pretty simple. None of the stuff we buy for recreation falls under the category of "need"

What next, people building boats and carving decoys out of wood?!

I'm always on the lookout for a nice, light, used 16 ga. OU. Hard to think of a nicer gun for grouse, and not the overkill on woodcock that a 12 is.

A light Ithaca 37 in 16 would do the job nicely, too.

Not sure I'd want a 16 ga. semi unless I was serious about multi-gauge clay shooting.

Jeff - I put lots of rounds through my old Ithaca light 16ga. Sooner or later the old ones start to shuck live rounds straight down, along with empty. That's why I got rid of mine. Look for a "Perfect Repeater", in 16ga. and if you must shorten the barrel for grouse & woodcock, so be it. You will not regret it. Last time I visited the local Cabela's they had three Model 12, 16ga. for sale.

Back