new boat...any blind suggestions

cakiecke

16 ft old john boat. It already has a good paint job but I would like to add a blind. Also, no motor as of now. I was thinking 25 hp. Any suggestions on what type of blind or motor...thanks

boat1.JPG
boat2.JPG

I can't see the bow, but if it is a flat front jon boat, I wouldn't want to over power it - for my friends 12' jon boat 8hp is almost too much power. Based on the shape of the transom, I am guessing it is more like a v-hull - If it is a small v-hull a 25 will make it go well. I had a 25 on my old starcraft 16' (heavy hull) and it went right along in the mid/high 20's.

I've had super luck with the mud buddy blinds. Expensive, but effective and comfortable. You can rig up an almost endless variety of things that work as well or nearly so. All depends on whether you'd rather build or buy.

Also, I keep on reading posts about pop-up blinds (maybe flyway specialties?) here and they seem to have a loyal following. I've never used one like that though, so I can't say.

Charlie

I hunt out of a 14ft semiv tin boat, made a blind similar to the mud buddy scissor type for less than 50 bucks 3/4 emt had some artillary netting and just added some natural vegetation etc. Will post up some pics if i can find them.

I use a home made fastgrass blind on my 14' jon. Works great for me & cost less than $100.00.
I will try to find the diagram and post it tonight.

This system is based on one Eric had up on the site back when he first started this page. It was worked great for me.
I use two panels for each side, they are cable tied together and hang on the support line using metal shower curtain rings (the on the water pic is from before I tied eachside panel together, so it shows gaps). A line weaved through the panels under the rubrail hold them down. WHen traveling, I bunch each side up around the center support and wrap it with a bungee. a panel is stretched across the bow, two get draped on the stern end of the support lines and cerex panels provide top cover.
The picture of the boat on the water & under the carport are a little old but it gives you the idea.
A heck of lot cheaper than the folding blinds, easily adopted to most boats and works just as good if not better.
[inline FastGrassBlind.jpg ]
Fastgrass4.jpg
[inline Fastgrass3.jpg ]

FastGrassBlind.jpg
Fastgrass3.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, it is a small V-hull. I think I am going to go with the scissor blind with a clamp on base. Have any of yall had any luck trying to purchase a used motor online? If anyone is from Texas, do yall know where any good shops are to find a good used outboard, preferbly near Forth Worth?

I will get some pictures of the interior to get suggestions for that as well, thanks

boat design1.JPG
boat%20design1.JPG

This is a design I just drew up and what I am kind of thinking.

boat design1.JPG
boat design1.JPG

Last edited:
Yup, that'll work. Looks a lot like the mud buddy frame I have.

Hard part is keeping it from flopping siide to side unless you have a prety substantial support or a blind cover that does it for you.

Tip from someone here (Mike L maybe?) - use 3/4 EMT tubing, and sleeve the puieces together with 1/2 IMC tubing. It is a fit made in heaven and is great for joining sections if you don't have a good way to swage the conduit (as I recall conduit comes in 10' lengths so you have to do some splicing). try to minimize the number of joints (points of failure). Also, a conduit bender is worth its weight in gold. Around here you can ofter get them as free loaners from small hardware stores.

If you cross over the end pieces and put a pin through them, you end up with what a lot of guys call a scissor blind. Works slick and is self supporting. I had one on my first duck boat. Depending on where you put the holes you can adjust one side to be higher than the other.

I wouldn't fuss with that fancy hunge. A bolt with a locknut on the other end through your crossbar works fine and is simpler (less to go wrong at o'dark thirty on the marsh).

Charlie

I have a scissor blind plan at home as well. I will try to post it tonight or maybe this weekend. Remind me!

Here is my scissor blind diagram. A buddy used this on his 14' v hull for years before he got a godevil boat. He used military netting, but cerex would work too.
[inline Blind2Scisor.jpg ]
[inline ScissorBlindBowPole.JPG ]

I used this cerex blind for a couple of years. It worked great too, light, very good concealment, easy to build. I just like my current fastgrass blind better.
[inline Blind3Cerex2.jpg ]
[inline CB2UpSideView2.jpg ]

Blind2Scisor.jpg
ScissorBlindBowPole.JPG
CB2UpSideView2.jpg
Blind3Cerex2.jpg

I have a 14 1/2 ft. aluminum dura-craft jon boat, flat bottom, with a 25 evinrude. I can hunt four grown men plus plenty of gear with no trouble and still run close to 30 mph. Not over powered. I have just re-done my whole boat with Max-4 Camo-Clad and covered the inside with black Line-X spray in liner. This boat is sweet. I'll sent pics later. I have seen the Northern Flight boat blinds in Cabela's and think this is what i'm going with. Not impressed with the Avery Quick set. Northern's blind comes on and off easily for off-season fishing and use on another boat.

Hate to be negative about that post, but I do not know of any 14.5' boat that is rated to hold 4 grown men plus gear, 25 hp motor and fuel, let alone do it safely.

Two main concerns:
Weight. Longtails weigh a lot more than a similar powered outboard. My 18 hp outboard weigh about 87 pounds, an 18 hp longtail weighs almost twice that. So, your boat may be rated for an 18 but if you put a long tail on, you may have too much weight on the transom.

Transom strength. Longtails put a lot of stress on the transom and the stress is much different than an outboard. Many older boats just aren't built to handle that kind of stress. You could end up damaging the transom.

Overall, be careful. If you have access to a longtail, try it out and see how it works before buying one.

Back