New boat on the market. (plastic)

William Stahl

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pages/index/products/concepts/commander_120_cx

$5000.00 plastic kayak. Limited Edition no less. Looks kinda small for me.
Thoughts?
-

From the web site.....

The multi-layered hull of the Commander 120cx Limited is the first kayak ever to be infused with Innegra S, the lightest, high performance fiber available. This ballistic grade material is used in the most demanding of applications, from body armor to Formula One racecars; and now it finds a home on the water. This translates into an extremely stiff and lightweight hull, which offers maximum responsiveness on the water.

To achieve the style mandate, nearly every detail of the production model Commander 120 has been overhauled with premium trim materials. On the canvas of the glossy, black composite layup, picture richly stained, hardwood rails along the top rim of the boat, complemented by stained, hardwood carry candles on the bow and stern. Sleek, silver/gray Commander 120cx logos on the stern and accessory bags announce the boat without being ostentatious.

So it is a composite......of multiple layers...

But for 5000 it might clean your fish and pluck your ducks.......

How about a roll of bio-degradable, gold edged, T-P just to go along with the fancy Corinthian leather of biblical proportions....

Someone explain to me how they built this boat from some space age material to be only 50lbs.

But they could not cut any weight on the seat, it weighs 7 lbs

???????????????????

Many kevlar/carbon fibers based composite systems are very light weight. The primary materials have a very high strength per unit of weight, this allows the reduction in weight of a finished object while still meeting strength requirements.

I have no knowledge of the materials used in this boat but given the basic concept outlined above should partially explain how the light weight is achieved.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Many kevlar/carbon fibers based composite systems are very light weight. The primary materials have a very high strength per unit of weight, this allows the reduction in weight of a finished object while still meeting strength requirements.

I have no knowledge of the materials used in this boat but given the basic concept outlined above should partially explain how the light weight is achieved.

Matt,

The whole point to my, and several of the other replies, is that 50lbs is NOT a light weight for this size kayak. It is in fact on the heavy side of what is out there, again for this size kayak. Heck a friend of mine has a 16footer which only weighs 36lbs.

The way this company is touting the "space age materials" would lead one to expect a weight of about 25 to 28 lbs for a twelve foot kayak.
[/font]

Yeah it is most likely all the stuff they have attached to the hull...probably misunderstood what was being said or asked in my stupor of taking a break from work...been a long day of conference calls and crazyness..

Wow 5000 for a kayak that can't carry nearly enough stuff. The old town k 140 remains the best of the hunting sit insides which is why they discontinued it after 1 year. Idiots.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/huntingfishing/predator_k140.html

still on Old Towns web site.....you sure they discontinued it?

They discontinued the Predator 13'8", which was a really nice kayak. They replaced it with the Predator 14, which I personally don't like nearly as much. It's heavier, bulkier, and doesn't paddle as well.

The 13'8" was based on the Loon recreational kayak hull. The 14 is based on a double kayak hull that doesn't paddle nearly as nicely with a solo paddler, but it does have a bigger cockpit and more room for a dog or a kid in your lap.

I don't see either in the new catalog I have, but there are some "fishing" kayaks that look like nice performing hulls.

PS--Matt, your link takes me to the Predator, but I didn't find it when I went to their website myself. Weird.

In any case, if I had $5,000 to drop on a paddle boat, it sure wouldn't be plastic.

Last edited:
quite sure unless they just re added it. It hasn't been in their catalog for a year, My employer is an old town dealer. Also yes for paddling the 138 was a better hull but It doesn't hold close to the same amount of gear. Do a kayak search on this forum and take a look at the stuff I and Yukon mike have gotten our 140's to carry and do. Way more versatile than the 138. either way though theywere way more of a value than that 5 grand boat.

"Only 25 Commander 120cx Limited Edition kayaks will be available worldwide."

That's where the extra $4000 went. What a world we live in.

People that buy condos at Park City and Deer Valley so they can ski a few days a years,,,,,,,might also buy 5000 dollar floaty thingys.....OK who on this group buys condos at Deer Valley? I am sure I would offend someone....

Do a kayak search on this forum and take a look at the stuff I and Yukon mike have gotten our 140's to carry and do. Way more versatile than the 138. either way though theywere way more of a value than that 5 grand boat.

Eric: I agree on the larger capacity of the 14. I think it's capacity crosses over into what a mid sized canoe can carry. But when I was kayak shopping I already had 2 canoes, and was looking for something that would hold me, a half dozen decoys, and a shot gun. The 138 is just about perfect for that, and it paddles well enough I can keep up with my wife in her touring kayak when it's not duck season.

If I had 5 grand, I'd be looking at a nice wood/canvas canoe, or maybe an Estuary. Surely not a sit-on-top kayak!

I imagine they'll have close to 25 yaks at the end of the year at that price. This is what I've been looking at.

http://www.lancastercountymarine.com/HurricaneKayaksSantee116Sport.html

I paddled one last week. This thing is sweet at 35lbs and a heck of a lot easier than my 70 lb Puddler. Unforunately the camo version is a Lancaster County Marine exclusive which makes it a little cost prohibitive for me since I'd need to have it shipped.

Take care,

Ed L.http://www.lancastercountymarine.com/HurricaneKayaksSantee116Sport.html

nice looking boat Ed. Do you thibnk it would be big enough as in lengthwise? I'd wonder what all you could carry on that boat. Sure does look sweet though.

Mark W

Back