new guy, plus a boat rebuild

Will Douglass

Hey all,

Pretty new here and figured I'd introduce myself right quick. I live in eastern N.C. and have grown up hunting and fishing around here. I also currently go to school at East Carolina University.

The past several months Ive been rebuilding a 1990 20ft sea ox. Pretty much everything except the actual hull itself had to be replaced, all four stringers, transom, deck, fuel tank, and several soft spots in the core of the deck cap that require attention. I am nearing completion and recently bought a 200hp yamaha outboard, hopefully Ill have this thing done within the next week or so and will be able to hunt the remaing 2-3 weeks of the season.

All the glass work is being done with U.S. Composites epoxy and 1708 biaxial cloth. The stringers and transom are all doubled up 3/4" ACX ply glued together with epoxy/cabosil mixture, deck is a single layer of 3/4" ACX. All stringers, and deck have 2 layers of 1708 cloth and everything is tied together to the hull with epoxy/milled fiber fillets and two layers of 1708 12 inch tape. The 2 pieces of ply making up the transom are joined by epoxy and a layup of chopped strand mat, woven roving, and then another layer of chopped strand mat, then the outside faces of the transom got two layers of 1708 cloth before being glassed into the boat and glued to the old outer transom skin with expoxy mixture.

Shes gonna be solid and should be a good tender boat and I also plan on building a scissor rig for it to use diver hunting if I can find some juniper lumber without breaking the bank.

Heres some pictures of the progress thus far:

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z434/piratespride20/

If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to let me know,

Will

Welcome to the site Will. You've done alot of work so far. Congrats to you for saving her from the scrap heap.

Welcome from a fellow Pirate! Actually I just graduated last week, but I'll always be a Pirate! Looks like you've put in a lot of work on the boat, good luck continuing the rebuild!

Now THAT'S a project! Welcome to the site will. That will be one hell of a hutning platform when you are finished. Nice job!.

dc

Back