new member - plan on building a Devlin Cackler

Hess Robertson

For the last several months, I have been helping a friend build a drift boat for fly fishing using the stitch and glue method and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The other night while I was on call, I decided that I needed a project of my own. I began searching the internet for different boat designs that could be made by the stitch and glue method. I am from the Mississippi Gulf Coast pretty much grew up on the Pascagoula River and the Mississippi Sound. I was able to hunt and fish out of numerous boats growing up and have found that I really enjoyed the ride and stability of the Stauter Built boats out of Mobile, AL. While I was searching the internet, stumbled across the Devlin Cackler. The cackler immediately reminded me of the Stauter Builts I grew up fishing and hunting out of. The cackler design appears to be a step up from the wooden Stauter boats in that fiberglass is incorporated into the design. This should provide for some decreased maintenance over the Stauter and some increased strength. So I set off to find out more about the cackler and eventually found this website. I believe there is a wealth of knowledge and experience contained within the members of this forum. After reading all the posts about the cackler here (and reading many other post on other stuff too), I decided to order the plans for the cackler and Mr. Devlin boat building book. Well, my plans and book came in today and have had a chance look over the plans. I now have a couple of questions:

1.) I want to remove the motor well and go with a motor mounted off of a traditional transom. On the plans, it appears that there is some type of step up from the bottom of the boat to the area where the rear storage and rear flotation compartments are located (i.e. the bottom of the boat does not look like 1 continuous piece of plywood). Am I seeing this correctly or am I reading the plans wrong. I figured there had to be somebody on the forum that has made this modification to the cackler plans. I sure would appreciate some advice on what I need to do.

2.) I've called around to different lumber yards here in Arkansas. I can't find anybody that sells quality marine plywood. My pops lives on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and he said he would get it for me down there if I could find it. I know Stauter Built Boats in Mobile, AL carries marine fir and apparently some type of mahogany, but they are really expensive. Does anybody have any experience with any sources in Mobile (AL), New Orleans, Little Rock, or any where in Mississippi.

I appreciate all the help. I am sure I will be asking many questions on this forum as my project rolls along. I will also take pics and document my progress (I always enjoy seeing the work of others).

Thanks again,
Hess Robertson

Hess,
welcome aboard.

Dave Morton is the guy you want to check out. He built a real nice cackler.

I think the step you see is the way the plans show the edge of the motor well which is up from the very bottom line of the hull in the center due to the V shape of the bottom. If you were to carry the bottom all the way down with out the well it would pick up the line where the cut out is on the plan.
Hard to say in words, easy to show in person.

Dave Clark built a number of Devlin boats and he left out the well on a few.

All worked.

I would build the splash well in front of your engine on the transom. It sends the ocean back overboard if you take a stern wave backing down. Much nicer than having it in the bilge.

Welcome aboard Hess. You found a great site for a Devlon build. I built a Mallard 2 years ago, several Black Brant II & III's have been built, Snowgoose, Poleboat etc. I think all of his duck style boats have been built be members here. Try the search feature & there is several build alongs + Eric's that started this site. Ask away, there is someone that has done what your not sure of. Most of all~~~ Enjoy your build!
Dennis

Bob, after looking at the plans again, I think I understand what you are saying. That "step up" is caused by the cut out for the motor well; if I don't cut out the motor well, there should be no "step up". My next obstacle is going to be finding good quality marine plywood. I guess I could order it off the internet, but I'm sure shipping will be expensive. I'm just surprised that I can't find a source out of south Louisiana. I know there are a ton of commercial boat building operations down there. Thanks again.

Hess ,

I built the Cackler a few years ago as Bob said , and i eliminated the motor well , i did splash well and went with traditional transom , i will try to get some pics to you today as they are on my other computer . If you have any questions just let me know . Great little boat for 2 guys, and take alot of big water .

Dave M

Welcome aboard!
I'm in Mobile, hunt & fish MS Sound quite a bit. Just get rid of my mv jon boat and bought a used Smokercraft semi-v. Much better hull for down there!

I've never had to buy marine plywood but with all the boat building/repair going on down in Bayou la Batre, there are lots of places other than Stauter that carries the stuff.
Google:

marine plywood, bayou la batre, al

A bunch of places pop up!

Dave, I would appreciate any pics you have. I'm sure I will ask you many questions in the near future. Thanks for heads up Carl. I'm currently helping a friend out here in Little Rock build a drift boat; he is from Mobile and looked every where for marine plywood down that way; all he found was marine fir and ended up going that route. From what I understand, most of the boats constructed down on the AL, MS, LA coast are marine fir then glassed over. I have an uncle that has a camp down at Coden; I'll get him to have look around for me. From all the reading I've done on building wood boats, I really don't want to go with fir. I hope I can find Okoume or Meranti locally here in Arkansas or close to my folks on the MS Coast, but may end up having to just order it.

I built the Cackler's BIG brother.. the Honker... modified to 20'x91".... Look at WorldPanel (I think that is the name) they can ship the materials to you... Hi grade marine plywood is not cheap, but IMO it is worth it.

Back