Chuck Ward

I wanted all to know what a class group of guys you are. I have been logging on to this site for the last month or so researching layout boat plans, to get an idea of what I wanted to build during the off season. I never posted because I didn't have any wisdom to impart. What I realized over this time was that there was no bickering, petty remarks, or unfriendly people posting on this site. We all have most likely read what unthoughtful people will post to someone they don't have to worry about ever meeting or when they are not worried about being held accountable for what they say. On this site I have not read anything other than friendly advice or friends having fun with friends. I have noticed that I now come to the site just to see what people are posting. I enjoy reading what others have to offer and hope to be able to offer what little knowledge I have.

Thanks for the entertainment.

"The wicked flee when no man purseuth, but the righteous are as bold as lions."

Chuck Ward

Welcome Chuck,

What kind of layout boat are you looking to build? Something for skinny water or do you do any coastal gunning in big water? I know Berlington is a bit of a ride from the coast thats why I ask. I have used my BBSB type boats as a layout and it works out great.

I anticipate using it on some public lakes (Jordan, Falls, or local bodies of water). I hunt with a Game Warden and he feels that there are some unhunted spots in the backwaters of our gamelands. I'll also trailer it to Missouri and hunt some conservation areas there next year.

I saw where you're located near Long Island. I'm in Burlington, North Carolina not Burlington Vermont. Our hunting mostly consists of beaver ponds/swamps.
Chuck

Last edited:
Welcome! Good luck on your boat build & enjoy it, caution boat building is addictive!!! I built a devlon mallard last year & am thinking what to build this year. Tons of help here if ya need it too.
Dennis

Good tool for low light, low visibility. By the times ducks get to North Carolina they seem to be very cautious since the've seen every gadget and heard every known call to mankind. I beleive that the spinners get their attention and may cause them to take a look at your location, but unless that is where they want to be, we've had little success in making the ducks decoy to our spreads.

Chuck

Tod,

If you don't like spinners... I wouldn't think you would like baiting either. It's not nice to bait the new guy;)

Rspectfully submitted with just a bit of friendly sarcasm.

Gene

Tod,

If you don't like spinners... I wouldn't think you would like baiting either. It's not nice to bait the new guy;)

Rspectfully submitted with just a bit of friendly sarcasm.

Gene

Actually Gene, Aside from it being illegal as narrowly defined by the USFWS, baiting is a traditional form of duck attraction. I would say that it is THE original form of duck attraction. Baiting as broadly defined is certainly legal and considered ethical by many. This does bring up that legal vs. ethical argument again doesn't it.

As far as baiting the new guy, I was searching for other game and landed just what I wanted thanks to you.

Best,

T

Good tool for low light, low visibility. By the times ducks get to North Carolina they seem to be very cautious since the've seen every gadget and heard every known call to mankind. I beleive that the spinners get their attention and may cause them to take a look at your location, but unless that is where they want to be, we've had little success in making the ducks decoy to our spreads.

Chuck

Chuck, Stick around, maybe you will find your self thinking that the best light for them is the dark inside their box.

T

I heard that baiting works much better then spinners..... Just saying..... Nasty... Nasty..

As I wait for the for the big brown truck in zero temperatures for my Mustang float coat.

I will warm up the chainsaw. Go down to the lake cut a hole and try it out.

That will be the ultma test on advice from this site.... hee hee

Welcome new member....

Back