New motor?

C Taylor

In the next couple of months I'm looking to pickup a new motor for my sneakbox, it's 12ft displacement hull. I've been doing alot of research and since all but about one company still has new 2 strokes I'm probably gonna get a 4 stroke. More than likely I'll be going with a merc. they come in a 84lbs for a 9.9 which is pretty good for a 4 stroke. How has your experience been with using them on a sneakbox? Height of the motor, running, etc. I know the gas mileage will go through the roof compared to my 75 evinrude. I know I'll have it forever so thats why I'm thinking new. Any thoughts?? Chris

I would reccomend a Nissan or Tohatsu in the 9.8/9.9 hp class. Same motor as the Merc., but gonna cost a little less. Tohatsu makes all three of them (Merc. Nissan, Tohatsu).

I bought a brand new 9.8 Nissan for $1600 through Cabelas at the end of last year on sale.

The new Merc 9.9 hp are about $200 more than the Nissan version at current retail price for the same motor.

I have mine on a Bankes Intruder sneak.

Last edited:
I doubt you would need a 9.9 on a 12 displacement hull. I have a 16' displacement hull scull. I am at full speed at half throttle on my 3.5 hp. I don't know that you want to go that small, but 9.9 seems like a lot. Of course everyone like to go as big as they can on their boats.

I have a 12' bbsb with a semiplanning hull. I had an 84 Johnson 15hp on it when I got it that pushed it between 13-17mph loaded ( me, dog and gear) and unloaded( me and dog, no gear). I also used a six gallon tank ... And needed every bit of it! I got rid of that and purchased a 2008 suzuki 15 hp 4stroke elec start and never looked back! I know there is much debate about weight, torque and speed. I debated it, read every article, and lost far too much sleep than it was worth. But the two are going to be soon gone, my 4 is whisper quiet, no smoke, and the e-start is a dream.

All things considered my Johnson was 20lb lighter, but I also carried 6gallons of fuel with it versus the three gallons I carry now. I believe gas is 8.8 lbs per gallon, I am still lighter. Now I know hanging an extra 20lbs off the transome is a lot, but, my six gallon tank sat under my aft deck and I moved my new 3 gallon tank to the front. My boat does 17-22 loaded and unloaded. The boat has a great attitude in the water, not too nose high or low. Gets right up on plane, I would not hesitate to do it again.

As far as the Suzuki goes it is an outstanding motor. I would recommend their product to anyone! But then again I don't think you can go wrong with
any makers small outboard. You said yours is a displacement, I would look no bigger than a 9.9. You could probably go even a bit smaller.

I wouldn't go any smaller than a 9.9, with hunting bigger water i'm a firm beliver in maxing out power, plus I want the safety of knowing I could get me and whoever else home if I needed to. I can use it in the lakes around here on my aluminum boat. I also have been kicking around a used 2 stroke but it would have to be pretty new. I wanted to stay with a merc too because the tiller shift is an awesome feature. Chris

Back