New........"Old Book"

charlie foulds

I spent the afternoon yesterday at the Long Island Decoy Collectors show and came home with a really neat book. Duck Shooting Along The Atlantic Tidewater. what an awesome read. Great pictures of some duck boats that were used up and down the Atlantic coast,sink boxes, gunning pictures and stories. Gunning shots from a two man battery in the Great South Bay, Barnegat, LI Sound, all areas I have hunted, What a fantastic look into the past and our waterfowling traditions.

P3010180.jpg

Charlie, I have that book. It is a excellent read. It really takes you back in time. You are lucky to hunt some of the areas that are talked about in that book. You were lucky to find that book. It's older than dirt.

That was yesterday huh?, damn, missed it again, I'm about 20 minutes away from the show location too.

A friend got me that book for favors I did for him, it IS a good read and shows the gunning history of the areas mentioned pretty well.

If your interested in South Shore gunning specifically, try and find "Duck Decoys" by Eugene Connett.
It's mostly about building decoys, but has a lot of references to early gunning in the Bays here.

Charlie, I have that book. It is a excellent read. It really takes you back in time. You are lucky to hunt some of the areas that are talked about in that book. You were lucky to find that book. It's older than dirt.

Yes Pete, I do feel lucky to have found it, market hunters, line hunting, the sink boxes,old boats,old guns, along the coast from Maine to Florida mostly in the 20's and 30's. GREAT Read

Charley, I have had that book since I was in high school.(almost 40 years ago) I enjoy it more each time
I read it. It's amazing how your perspective and interests change. I just opened it up last week to get some help painting some hen Bills.
Great book John

Charlie, it's a great old book. I've had mine for a while. I believe there is one on ebay right now.

Bill V.

locate a copy of WATERFOWLING IN THE MISSISSIPPI FLYWAY, also by Connent....

The "original" plan was for Connent to anthologize, (is that a word), books on all four flyways....unfortunately for us he only completed books on the Atlantic and the Mississippi....

Along with Van Campen Heilner's "A BOOK ON DUCK SHOOTING" the (2) Connent books, plus the more contemporary Successful Waterfowling by Zack Taylor, were my Bibles when I was getting started on my cure for my waterfowling obsession and many, if not most, of the places that I have traveled to to gun were the result of the stories in those books....

Of the two I like the Atlantic volume better but thats because it covered, in more detail, the areas, and species, that so fascinated me in Heilner's book, Brant, Black Ducks and the saltmarsh of the Eastern Seabord being heady stuff for a kid shooting Bluewings and Ringnecks in 80 degree weather in the mangroves in Florida, but that said the volume n the Mississippi Flyway is excellent as well...

Nice to see some interest in the HISTORY of the sport......

Steve

Steve, If your ever out this way I can show you some of the areas of the Great South Bay that are mentioned in the book. Heck,even some of the "Bay Houses" are still there, the Brant are always wiling as well as the Black ducks, Broadbill can be hit or miss, Usually the later in the season the better.

on gunning for Black Ducks on Long Island was the foundations for one of my "dream hunts" and that painting by Hunt of the Black Ducks dropping into that hole was one of the first wildlife prints I ever owned.....never made it to Long Island but I have hunted many of the other places in the book......appreciate the offer to gun there....keep the porch light on and I might just show up one day to take you up on the offer....

Steve

I think my favorite part is Chesapeake Bay by Kemp Bartlett,I think I read it at least every year.
I love the picture by Lynn Bogue Hunt of a thatched puntie(about page 92) and hope to build
something like it. I think I could modify the plans for my kara. Just give the fore deck more
crown and square up the aft deck. I think the aft deck would be perfect for a dog with one
of those collapsible kennels.

Steve, Just let me know when.............

John, The puntie conversion sounds do able but, I never liked the idea of a dog in any type of kennel when they are on a boat. We had a local guide a few years back capsize his boat (waaaay overloaded) Thanks to another duck hunter nearby everyone was saved,except his dog. He must have gotten confused under the hull and drowned. I figure the same could happen in the confines of any type of kennel open or closed ended. JMO

I also have all three of the books mentioned here. Most of these are easily found at ABEbooks, if you are interested. If you like those, you might want to get a copy of "Shotgunning in the Lowlands" by Ray Holland.

Back