North Alabama Broadbill Build

Dave,

You are getting close now. You have done nice work so far, so don't rush things as it comes near the end.

As a side note; Are you building this in an otherwise unused area of the sanctuary? Is your congregation able to judge your progress based on the "fumes of the week"? Does Sunday school start with a question from the group as to your current state of build? Are you cheating by receiving guidance from the "big guy upstairs"?

I hope you realize this is all in fun.
smiley-angelic004.gif
smiley-angelic004.gif

Well ... the build is almost complete. After nearly four months of work and almost 250 man hours, "Church Business" is ready for the water. This last segment of the build was not as easy as I had thought. The worst part was installing my grass rails. I had originally intended for each rail to continue as a single piece extending from the bow to the stern. I was very careful in installing these rails as I had already broken a side clamp earlier in the build. Knowing that my rail would probably fail at the most severe curve along the front half of the boat, I was thrilled to get the starboard rail in place without any mishap; however, upon stepping outside to make a phonecall, I heard a loud CRACK, only to discover that my grass rail had indeed failed at its greatest bend. Frustrated, I threw up my hands and headed to the river to do a little fishing -- anything to get my mind off of what had just occurred.

After returning from the river, I was in a better state of mind and determined to figure out a solution to my problem. It had become a "grudge match" and I wasn't about to give up. So, while eating a quick sandwich, I studied my boat to find all possible configurations of how my defunct grass rail could be mounted. It took a while, but after much thought (and some prayers I might add), I finally decided to cut out the broken section of my rail piece and refinish both ends, thereby making two rails out of one. The photos below will show my results.

In hindsight, I'm thankful that my "failure" occurred and I was able to turn it into a "success," as I am very pleased with its outcome. I never would have thought to break up my grass rails with cleats, but looking back it makes perfect sense to me now.

View attachment BroadbillBuild022.jpg
View attachment BroadbillBuild030.jpg
View attachment BroadbillBuild023.jpg
View attachment BroadbillBuild024.jpg

Dave, that looks great. What will you power it with? Have you though about how you will run the anchor line? Just over the side? I used chocks along the bow and at the rear corners so the lines will run off the approriate location... at least that is my thinking, will see in practice. I purposely have not kept track of my man hours, and have not done a great job of keeping the receipts either.... no evidence to convict with! Can't tell you how good it will feel when you launch for the first time... very rewarding.

Enjoy your hard work... Dave

I picked up a 1974 Evinrude 15hp a few months ago. It's one of their short head designs which should be great for keeping a low profile. I thought about going with a four stroke, but the price and weight scared me away.

Grace and peace!

David

Dave,
its gona look great with that motor.
If you build another boat and need to bend solid wood take a tip from the old school boat wrights. Steam. You can tie a piece of wood in a knot if you use enough. Just look up steam bending for simple tips on an easy "Pipe" box and a kettle frier to make the required hot water.

Your solution is a great one and you will like having the midship cleats to tie it up with at docks or other boats. Most overlooked part of many sailboats I work on.

Enjoy your work. It looks great!

Bob,

Cleats amidships on a blow-boat? Horrors! Keep decks as clean as possible so nothing catches the running rigging. Spring lines work great off the bow and stern! If you have to rig a snatch block off a stanchion okay, but no cleats!

Never missed having cleats amidships but then I sailed barefoot and they would have been huge toe busters.

Scott

All the sailors think like that till the wind is blowing 35 to 40 at the dock and it is getting pounded around........
or the wife is trying to get a line on the dock off the bow or stern as they come in.
Trust me the mid ship cleat is your friend in these times.
Make a pair of "dogs" to go over the cleat for sailing and hide the sticky parts for line in those situations.

Bob,

Keep my decks CLEAN!

View attachment sailingR.jpg

Adding cleats to make up for incompetence doesn't cut it in my book! We'll have to agree to disagree but feel free to buy me a beer to discuss it further.

Scott

ps: photo from the 70's, me on the job with my future wife along as a guest.

Scott,

Difference I guess between a salior and a river rat. I place the cleats straticlly where I can hang a bumper and protect the boat. I may be wrong but I found that even as good as Lou's FME paint is it can't hold up 60 mile an hour winds when bashing the boat against the dock.

Just my 2 cents.

Ed L.

Hey Huntindave!

You aren't too far off with your questions! Sunday School does start with that question and the congregation can tell by the absurdity of my sermons how long I have been exposed to paint fumes! The Big Guy and I have also had some conversations as He's been in on at least one BIG boat build, but mostly He just watches over me and smiles!

Grace and peace on-line friend!

David

Back