nut grass wanted

Worth Mathewson

Does anyone on this page have any experience with nut grass? The plant grows a tuber about the size of a popcorn kernel underground. Several years ago a friend told me it was tops as a waterfowl food. Several weeks ago I shot a mallard drake that was stuffed with the tubers. I looked it up on the internet and found it is considered a very bad weed. That said, I have a duck marsh here at the house that I would like to get nut grass started. But I can't find any source for the tubers or seeds. Any suggestions? Thanks, Worth Mathewson

The refuge forum has a Habitat sub-forum that has a good amount of information and some knowledgeable people posting there. Might have to go back a few pages, but there were some good discussions about nut grass and other tuber plants.

Worth, I have a garden spot that has tons of this very nasty weed each spring. The seed stays deep in the ground so when you try pulling it up all you get is the top growth of the weed which breaks off above the seed pod. Then it just grows new shoots.

I might be able to dig up some in the spring and mail them to you. I guess the question would be how the laws are written about importing invasive plants , I can't imaging thus weed not being all over the U.S. Phil

Brandon

My understanding is that they dive down and pull on the plant stalk...often part or all of the tuber pops out of the mud and they gobble them up.

Tim

Not sure if that would be the best to plant because it spreads very quickly if conditions are correct and it will out grow a lot of other plants. Once you have it the plant is very hard to remove or kill because of the tuber root. My family is a big farm family and in some of the fields this is the worst weed because round up will not even kill it because the root system is so vigorous. Maybe a better option would something they call duck potato i know it is a native plant here in new jersey as a local nursery grower of native plants grows large numbers of these plants.

I'd check with your local Department of Agriculture and/or USDA-NRCS or Cooperative Extension. As a general principle, planting something classified as a noxious weed to improve duck hunting seems like a questionable proposition, especially if you live in farm country.

I would check with your local ag dept and make sure it is not on the invasive/noxious plant list.
Also, if you plant to plant it in any waters connected to state waters, you risk unintentionally spreading a noxious weed.

Like others, I recommend you find a good mix of native plants and go with them.

Worth

I've never been to your place but you might have it already. I have certainly heard from many farmers on how ducks and geese will care the seeds on their feet. I've seen in all over the Willamette Valley. Oregon State has a flyer on its control http://www.entomology.oregonstate.edu/system/files/onn090204.pdf so I suspect if you looked you might find it. I also wonder if its just covered by reed canary grass or some of the other invasive plants that might be present. Do you have the ability to control water levels or mechanically disturb the soil at your place? Maybe if you did a little discing or mowing you might find it popping up.

Don't plant yellow nut sedge anywhere you may want to plant anything else some day, oh, and roundup won't kill it, plus I don't believe it will grow in water so not sure how it can be utilized by anything other then hogs. Look instead at wapato duck potatos, an actual known duck food that does grow in water and you can get it from any wildlife nursery.

Brad,
Thanks for your remarks regarding nut grass. We have two places here at the house. One is 20 acres that floods directly behind the house. I plow it up each spring and generally plant millet. The other location is a quarter mile to the west, and is 9 acres. That area is surrounded by a filbert grove. Some years I work it up, but generally just cut the grass in late summer. I am certain we don't have nut grass in either location. Somewhat odd, as I have become interested in nut grass I have talked with several farmers in our region. None have had nut grass. In fact, one didn't know what it was. Having said that, the fellow who told me how much ducks love it has a duck club about two miles north of us. I spoke with him again the other day and he told me he has had it on his place for over 30 years. His club is totally flooded from the Yamhill River several times a winter. The hunters use a boat to get to the blinds during high water. One would think that his nut grass would spread to fields down river. But I spoke with a farmer directly below him, and he said he hasn't had any. If in fact I do get some nut grass to plant, I would not put it in our 20 acres, as the flood zone is surrounded by wheat fields. But on the 9 acres, since it is enclosed by filbert trees, I think the risk of it spreading is slim.
Another report: So far this season in our area of western Oregon has been much more than grim. Just no ducks. But on the 20th ducks started to appear, especially strong flocks of pintails. We can only hope! Hope all has a very Merry Christmas. Best, Worth Mathewson

Back