Nylon Grassing Rails

Tom Orlowski

Does anyone know where or a name of a distributor that sells grassing rail for duck boats. I have a 1994 TDB-17 with Oak Grassing Rails. The ones toward the back are worn down from my hold down strap from when I am trailering the boat. Even oak wood be fine however I know that they are now using nylon.Has anyone reproduced these pieces using materials that one could buy, say at a lumber yard. The original rails are in excellent shape other than the ones toward the rear. Thanks Tom

I was able to find out that Mark Kauffman still has a business called The Duckstop selling used TDB's and Bankes Boats. I was able to get his number. I am going to give him a try tommorow. I actually bought my TDB-17 from him in 94.

i ordered nylon grass rails from Armstrong TDB for my "original" TDB 17', which was not not Armstrong built. They did not go on easily. They must be through bolted. The shelves on the boat are fiberglassed in and cover the existing bolts for the rails. I cut the old bolts off and 5200'd the openings. Then drilled new holes and placed the railes a lil' bit higher up the side where I can access the bolt to apply the nut. I would have sent you a pic but it is already grassed up and in the water impatiently waiting for the 24th.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys.I was able to connect with Mark Kaufman at the Duck Stop in West Brookfield Ma. He said that he could ship me what I needed. That is interesting to know that the original piece is bolted below the shelf. I thought it was screwed. They are truly awesome boats. We were Sea ducking on saterday. I shot my first banded Eider.My new pups first sea duck hunt.

Yes the original rails were bolted on then they glassed in the shelves..makes a neat look but hell if you have to replace the rails.With the new rail kit they send you new bolts with a molly type nut to push through the hull..didnt like that setup too much it wasnt easy to do and the bolts were kinda flimsy..We scratched our heads for a while and said ok lets raise it up some where we can reach the bolt heads plus upgraded the bolts a little and used lock nuts.Just filled in the old holes with black 5200 and painted over...no prob..Now its actually better than original because the new rails are at an angle to the boat not straight up and down like the factory installed ones.When the grass is put in it sits better on the boat hiding it better and not as easy for it to fall out.Plus the new rail sysytem is longer and goes almost right up to the nose of the boat we like it much better now than before.My boat is an original 17' classic built by the Clark Brothers in Maine.Its one of the first if not "THE" first 17 footer produced back in the 80's.My Dad bought it at a show on Long Island he handed Mr. clark a check right there on the spot as soon as he saw the boat.(we had a TDB 14' before that and was looking for something roomier)The original wood grass rails gave it up a long time ago.This boat is probably 15 yrs old or older now and the hull is still perfect and going onto the 3rd generation owner (my son).We also did away with the canvas blind and built a wooden blind setup with grass flaps.Will post a pic soon.

Nice work Tom on the banded eider!!! some day i will get out there with you...As long as you leave the aligator at home..lol, The new boat is ready to go out so hopefully sooner then later.. Still in deer hunting mode.

Back