Open water hunting

RLLigman

I was discussing safety gear with my principal duck hunting partner, Steve Lewis, yesterday(below zero temperatures motivated us to both stay indoors) when we got on the safety gear that should be routine issue. Steve and a welder friend put together a retrofit transom bracket and two-step Perko Dive ladder to provide a solid and safe means of entering his Crusader from open water, both deep via a fall overboard and shallow.

View attachment Dive+Ladder+bracket2.jpg

View attachment Dive+Ladder+bracket.jpg
View attachment Dive+Ladder+bracket1.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the standard option you can have molded-in on order as you build a boat with Michael and his dad.

Last edited:
Wouldn't open...
View attachment 20150622_103542.jpg

These provide a useful option, particularly in shallow water, but are prone to clogging with sand and mud. Also the steps have to be pulled-out to deploy and are one sided, making it difficult to climb back onboard when you are already in the early stages of hypothermia. Add-in that the outboard mounting doesn't provide any additional secondary stability like a transom mount unit since you can lean, pull and wiggle your way back onboard using the motor for handholds and support.

Last edited:
DB friends,
Thanks Rick for posting. I bought this Bankes Crusader used, and it did not have a ladder. One of my first modifications was a way to exit and enter, as with age and back and hip surgeries this can be a challenge. It worked out VERY well for all, and some of my sons and buds are over 250#.

Note this is deployed after reaching ones "spot". It hangs too far below the boat bottom to run at high speeds. (although, it has passed the test a couple times coming on plane and realizing my forgetting to pull it. (Oh Crap) I store the ladder, when not deployed, in the well for easy on and off.

It is the Garelick brand...second one I have installed on high setting boats. My daughter and son did numerous scuba dives this summer on Great Lakes wrecks and it also worked well for boarding wearing full wetsuit and tank.

Taking the ladder to the welder, we worked the correct angle of the bracket, so walking up the ladder was a breeze.

My concern would be, having tried to use short boarding ladders in deep water, is that it would be really, really difficult wearing waders and/or bulky hunting clothes...Its difficult enough in a swimsuit if you aren't skinny. You have to pull your foot up to chest level and grab the ladder at the same time...

Joe,
It's amazing the strength one can have when your life is on the line...I would imagine one wouldn't be near the boat if he was in longer than 5 minutes. Not sure a ladder is what's called for in that case. My kids were boarding this summer in 50' of water with full wetsuits and tanks. Trust me that's much more difficult then waders and coat. They were able to go up the ladder and get in the well by themselves. I do have a short handled rope to help the final step in. (remember to wear a wader belt friends)

I think Rick started this thread for suggestions to improve hunter safety. I/we welcome all suggestions and what works for others in their applications.

I get where you're coming from. And yeah, in an overboard situation the ladder isn't going to be your saving grace though it might help. I can see that being wonderful for getting in and out in 3 feet of water though, make your life a lot easier.

Garelick makes a variety of boarding ladders, including three step versions of the ladder Steve uses. His boat only draws 9" loaded, so a longer ladder isn't really workable in shallow water. I am 64 and tape-in at 6'-3" and 237lbs., currently. And, no, the Whitehouse physician is not my doctor... As Steve already stated the approach angle is adequate to enable deep water access, even for me with an artificial right knee and fused T11-L1 vertebra with intact rods in place. I rigged a single rung weighted rope ladder for my TDB. At depths over waist deep water using it to access the boat is very difficult, but achievable. In a man overboard situation, if I was alone, probably impossible to achieve, so I tether myself off when hunting alone.

http://www.garelick.com/Boarding-Ladders

In 40-45F water, you have about 5 minutes to save your life by getting out and back onboard, which minimizes your danger... but does not alleviate it. If you are overweight you may last longer, but if that weight gain is concomitant with cardiovascular disease, high BP, cardiac conduction issues, etc. I would make a point of either not going out in rough weather cold water conditions on open water or tethering yourself off on a short line when moving about. Immersion in cold water, for any duration, will spike your cardiac preload via a massive constriction of your arterioles, significantly raising your blood pressure as well as significantly increasing your risk of a sudden cardiac death event. I have a friend who had to tie his best friend and hunting partner to the outside of his duck boat and run him across about 3/8 of a mile of open water to a waiting ambulance because he could not get him back on board their tender when he flipped a duck skiff over while reaching for a bird. He had stopped breathing, but the EMTs worked frantically on him, hoping to revive him. He quit carving and duck hunting following that tragic accident.

On a brighter note, I just received delivery of a five panel replacement blind for my TDB-17' Classic. I was able to steer Olsen Marine, Inc. to a source of Mil-Spec. Brady Amendment Compliant 1000D Cordura fabric prior the order placement, so this is one of the first blinds made using the new fabric. I have five other 1000D Cordura mil-spec swatches for comparison. This fabric is essentially the same in terms of weave, but the urethane coating is significantly thicker than all of them. Very nice construction quality and well thought out additions to my old time-worn version. During a follow-up conversation with Tom Olsen I asked if he would be interested in feedback from Duckboats.net members on interior design and set-up on the new TDB-21' Sea Class they are about to start production on. He said he would be open to suggestions on layout and standard features to incorporate into the build. Tom said he would attempt to post their build sequence both here and on their Facebook site for the first four pre-ordered boats that they are about to begin on, since these are custom orders. Other than a steering console for the wheel and throttle/shift control binnacle, interior lights, bilge pump and decoy storage capacity, the interior is a "clean slate".

My first two requests would be a Richie compass with lighted bezel, mounted on the steering console, and a maximum capacity bilge pump operating off a dual battery switch wired to a deep cycle house battery and a cranking battery, both in the group 27 size range.

Rick - good post. We have first hand experience with this. Without the ladder we would have never got my friend back in the boat. Problem being they soak up water and become extremely heavy. I suggest 3 things... a ladder, a wader belt and a flotation jacket or other suitable pfd. And get the pfds on at least when you are motoring. Putting them in a gunning box does no earthly good except put them out of reach...

I like the ladder, years ago in Mid April I pulled a near 300 pound man off the bottom after watching him go over the side of his boat he sunk like a stone, when I got him to the stern he was completely played out. I used the tilt/trim switch to lift him out.

"I used the tilt/trim switch to lift him out. "

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I know that is common sense, but it still could be a life saver in helping haul a guy in. I once had a buddy over the side and I could not get him in. Our motor was a manual tilt so that was not help. He crabbed around to the stern and was able to pull himself over the stern with my help. No fun.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Larry[/font]

Both myself and a friend have gone over the side while alone, though in milder weather. You are NOT going to get in by yourself in water up to your chest or deeper without help. I don't care how fit you are. A step is ok for shallow water. The only way we got back in was to get on the lower unit and power trim us up so we could scramble aboard, and it was an exhausting experience. Not sure we could have done it with waders and freezing weather.
So the first rule is don't go overboard, lol , second rule is wear a PFD so they can tow your dead ass to shore. [:/]

gcs said:
Both myself and a friend have gone over the side while alone, though in milder weather. You are NOT going to get in by yourself in water up to your chest or deeper without help. I don't care how fit you are. A step is ok for shallow water. The only way we got back in was to get on the lower unit and power trim us up so we could scramble aboard, and it was an exhausting experience. Not sure we could have done it with waders and freezing weather.
So the first rule is don't go overboard, lol , second rule is wear a PFD so they can tow your dead ass to shore. [:/]

this is my millionth plug for a float coat over waders. I once swam quite a ways in January in the sound to retrieve a boat (the enterprise) on a single digit day wearing waders and a float coat. I was able to easily climb on board using the lower unit, part of the ease was that I wcas not saturated or cold because of what I had on. I had just a trickle of water inside my gear (and some of that liquid was not from the swim). That experience was eye opening.

Last edited:
No problem, generally. I’m sure I’ve missed birds due to a bad mount, but I do that without too. For floatation, mine has a vest of about 3/4” thick flexible foam on the torso of the jacket. The arms are more typical type insulation fill. The entire area of the shoulder where the butt goes is smooth one piece of foam. For someone that has a shotgun that is borderline for LOP fitting, it may be an issue.

Capt Rich Geminski said:
Tod, what brand do you have or prefer?

I have and can highly recommend a mustang classic bomber. The way I chose is that is all that people who work around water in winter wear that I’ve seen. Mine has held up really well and is at least ten years old. The fabric is tough, they are comfortable, warm, waterproof, there is a belt to cinch the bottom if you need it. Mine has the solas tape and the birds don’t seem to mind (see avatar photo) but the tape does wreck flash photos at times.

Mine is olive and I will replace it with another olive. There is the argument that olive is not going to be visible to first responders and I agree, but I’d rather have it and wear it than have an orange one that I need to hide.

They are available in lots of places online for about 200.

Andrew Holley said:
Tod, where did you get your coat from?

They are available online, even Walmart. I checked the place I got mine (landfall navigation) and they were really expensive now (I paid 175 several years back). Mustang classic bomber is the brand and model.

Back