Opinions Wanted on Plans

Thanks so much!

I'm definitely wanting the option to put a motor of some sort on the back. The double-enders are attractive for a lot of reasons, but don't allow for that . . . unless I were to rig up some sort of side-saddle motor mount . . .
. .

I'm going to challenge you to re-think this comment. I have a double ender marsh boat with a motor on it and no side yoke mounting system. I built a mini mud motor from a weed eater and it works like a mud motor. Also purchased a commercial mini mud motor that works equally as well. I only hunt small stream with this set up and going up river was the primary prupose of having a boat/motor combination that would work. I used to paddle upstream and that got old after a decade of doing so. Adding a motor to the double ender made the hunt much more enjoyable.

View attachment hunt20.jpg
Mark

Thanks so much!

I'm definitely wanting the option to put a motor of some sort on the back. The double-enders are attractive for a lot of reasons, but don't allow for that . . . unless I were to rig up some sort of side-saddle motor mount . . .
. .

I'm going to challenge you to re-think this comment. I have a double ender marsh boat with a motor on it and no side yoke mounting system. I built a mini mud motor from a weed eater and it works like a mud motor. Also purchased a commercial mini mud motor that works equally as well. I only hunt small stream with this set up and going up river was the primary prupose of having a boat/motor combination that would work. I used to paddle upstream and that got old after a decade of doing so. Adding a motor to the double ender made the hunt much more enjoyable.

Mark

AWESOME!! Love it! Ok, so obviously a motor CAN be put on a double ender then!

Looks like you and I hunt very similar places. A homemade mud motor is something I've been toying around with in my head for a while . . . but that's a subject for another thread . . .

Send me your email addy and I'll send you the link to the thread all about building your own mini motor and some plans as well.

Mark W

Go with a devlin design. They're good designs and the envelope construction is really solid. Go all mahagony in the materials. Using pine will cost you more in the end with the additional maintenance. Get some advise on putting down the glass. That has to be done just the right way or you risk delamination. It's not that hard but you have to follow the right steps. Regardless of the technique boats of any size MUST have an internal structure of some type. If the desiger put in bulkheads they're there for a reason. Don't asume you can start removing them and not sacrifice hull intergity. Yes some older designs are over built but short of a finite element analysis leave in the designed structure. Good luck. Every man should build a boat. You learn a lot and will have something at the end that will give a few decades of proud use.

Hey...that looks familiar. Here's what one of those motors looks like on a Wilderness kayak.

kayak_1.jpg

Good luck with your boat build. Like Mark said, a motor makes the hunt more enjoyable.

Ed L.

Sorry to chime in late but look hard at the Devlin Poleboat. I hunt more out of mine than any other of my boats. I built a transom on mine and run a 4 hp Evinrude with no problems. I just lock it down and steer with a paddle. Sure make the long runs a LOT easier. If I don't need thre power it paddles like a charm. Mine came in about 80# but Pete McMiller built one I think about 65#. Every ounce will make you pay when you get a few years on.;-)

I sent this yesterday.I'm thinking real hard about building this in the spring.I still have a few questions,guess I 'll try again. Hi Chris:
Yes, the Marsh Rat can plane, but will also displace easily. Most of my boats are a compromise between the two. It should get up on a plane with 5 horses, but should ba able to take up t a 9.9. I'd put a 7.5 on it, if it were mine.

I've been gradually redoing all of the boat plans to include the BOM on sheet 2 which is also included on all the study plans/ I haven't gotten to the Marsh Rat yet, but I will include one for you when you order.
Jeff Spira Spira International http://spiranternational.com/
On 12/14/2010 7:44 AM, Chris wrote:
What size motor will it take? It looks like a planing hull,is that correct? What size is the cockpit? Is it possible to add a little more length,or beam or both? Is a complete bill of materials included in the plans? Could it be built stitch and glue?(Just curious about s&g)....Thanks, Chris

Chris, pretty cool that we're both looking at the Marsh Rat! I've pretty much decided that's the one. I'm going to take another good look at Devlin's Pole Boat per some advice on this thread here. (Thanks for that, guys!) But as of right now, I'm about 90% sold on the Marsh Rat. It would be great to share ideas and the inevitable goof-ups while we progress through the same build!

As an inducement, Devlin is offering a 2-for-1 plans deal again this fall.

I've looked at the Marsh Rat, and it seems like a fairly straightforward build. I wish it was more suited for the way I'll be hunting.

Hey thanks for all the advice everyone! A really helpful group here! I appreciate all the thoughtful responses . . .

I went ahead and bought the plans for the Marsh Rat! Woohoo! The adventure begins!

Now, here's hoping I score big in the tool department on Christmas so I can get this thing rolling! I'll be posting my progress . . . and asking questions too, I'm sure!

Thanks guys!

BEN,

I KNOW YOUR INITIAL REQUEST WAS FOR DOUBLE END TYPE BOATS, BUT, I AM IN HANOVER CO., AND HAVE A DEVLIN BLUEBILL IF YOU WOULD DESIRE TO TAKE A LOOK. ITS A GREAT COMPRAMISE IF YOU EVER NEED TO CROSS LARGER BODIES OF WATER. I HUNT AND CROSS THE RAPPAHANNOCK FREQUENTLY TO HUNT A SMALL MARSH. PLENTY OF POWER AND ROOM FOR ME AND THE DOG. JUST A THOUGHT...

MERRY CHRISTMAS

GIL

I would check to see if you could make this boat with stitch and glue construction. Devlin may cover this in one of his books. This would involve changes to the framing. However, This boat looks good in design as long as it fits your needs. I would cover the inside of the plywood panels with fiberglass cloth and epoxy. This will stop the plywood surface from checking from moisture. I do not know the grade of plywood called for in the plan and if it is not marine grade plywood then you should do this. You also can coat the frame pieces with epoxy to prevent moisture infiltration. The plan shows standard lumber for framing you can get at low cost. The method of building and coating with epoxy will help prevent problems with just painting could cause down the road. You need to start somewhere with building and if this design is to your liking, then build it.

Ben

First off...Welcome!

That is a neat design. As far as ease of construction, I would lump that one in with the Kara Hummer. Many guys build a Kara, and modify it it run an small outboard or electric trolling motor on it. While this works, the design you have here would suit this purpose, plus I think the hull design, while no a speed demon, would be more effecient and track better as well.

You mentioned "handle more like a canoe or a kayak in the rock-strewn rivers"...well, I dont think it will handle anything like a canoe. I built a strip canoe years ago, and have been waiting (for time space and money to all be ready) to build another strip canoe/double ended duck boat. Something like the Wisconsin skiffs of some of the Lake StClair/Lake Erie marsh boats of historical significance here in the midwest. If you like handling canoes, this may be a route you'd like to explore that would give you the low profile, decked boat that would conseal well as well as having the decks for forgiveness in case of a rogue wave washing over...something to think about.

Also, the Spira website calls it "ultralight"...90 pounds is hardly untralight. Dont get me wrong, I've had canoes up to 105 pounds and I could mount and portage them solo (with a yoke) but that is a man handling job if by yourself unless you plan to have a trailer. On top of that, looking at the materials spec'd on the study plans, I wouldn't be surprised if your actual weight came in a bit over that...especially for a first time builder (we all worry about strength the first time and over build it a tad).

Food for thought...

Best
Chuck

I just read this thread (sorry, out of town at the time :) and the one thing that surprised me was the weight. I agree with Chuck on the weight concern. I'd be surprised if that boat weighed less than 150# when done, given the design and materials. There is a lot to this boat - too much to be anywhere near 100#.

Hi Ben. Any progress on this project? I am taking a serious look as well.

I'm still in the "tool acquisition" stage since I'm not a hobbyist woodworker with a full collection. I'm nearly ready to roll and haven't lost a bit of enthusiasm for the project! Spending a lot of time studying the plans and considering a couple minor mods. Plus, it's still open season in Virginia, and I can't justify taking time away from actually HUNTING to build, dig?! Hahaha . . .

Jeff Spira, the designer, has been very helpful with questions I've had for him in my study & planning stage here . . .

I'm definitely expecting it to be over 90lbs! But, I do hope you're wrong about it going 150! Hahaha . . .

Spira, the designer, has advised that I can use significantly thinner ply for the hull, provided I use 3-4 layers of 6oz cloth. That should be a real weight saver.

I AM planning on trailering (which means not lifting 100+lbs over my head!), and I'm thinking I can still get it in some primitive "landings" with some good ole elbow grease.

I'm definitely expecting it to be over 90lbs! But, I do hope you're wrong about it going 150! Hahaha . . .

Spira, the designer, has advised that I can use significantly thinner ply for the hull, provided I use 3-4 layers of 6oz cloth. That should be a real weight saver.

I AM planning on trailering (which means not lifting 100+lbs over my head!), and I'm thinking I can still get it in some primitive "landings" with some good ole elbow grease.

Ben, Advice like that makes me REAL nervous. 3-4 layers of 6 ounce cloth with resin is going to weigh a whole lot more than any amount of wood you replace. I'd think that boat with 3-4 layers of 6 ounce glass is going to weigh 200#. I don't know anything about that boat or him, but that statement raises some serous red flags.

T

Ben, Advice like that makes me REAL nervous. 3-4 layers of 6 ounce cloth with resin is going to weigh a whole lot more than any amount of wood you replace. I'd think that boat with 3-4 layers of 6 ounce glass is going to weigh 200#. I don't know anything about that boat or him, but that statement raises some serous red flags.

T

Thanks for the heads up there! I went back and checked my correspondence with him and this is what he told me:

"Yes, you could use 4 or 5 mm ply (1/8 to 3/16) if you select good quality hardwood plywood and use two layers of glass on the outside. If just old lumberyard ply with a single layer of glass, you should probably stick with 1/4"

And, since 1/4" ply is spec-ed for the deck, I'm sure the deck is what he was talking about, not the hull. The deck is obviously less critical to the overall integrity of the boat than the hull, so I want to be careful not to cast a shadow on the man's reputation as a designer.

Thanks again for the heads up!! I was feeling nervous about lightening up the hull ply and was planning on some more discussion with him about it, thinking I might have misunderstood him in that earlier email. Turns out, I DID misunderstand him! Thanks!!

I have no idea if this boat will weigh 100# or 200#, but when I compare it to other plans available such as the Mallard or the Broadbill 14, it looks like a simpler boat to build, is probably less expensive, and can transport two hunters and gear.

It looks like Spira has designed lots of boats and at least one of this design has been built. I don't see him giving out misinformation.

I'm looking for a design that will hunt one guy, transport two with gear, and can hopefully get on a plane with a 9 1/2. I could probably buy something for about what this will cost to build but sneak boxes seem to be rare around me and by building something, I get that satisfaction and can spread out the expenses so the wife doesn't get wise.

I have built a stitch and glue boat before and it's not that easy even if you're somewhat handy. This frame construction seems to be a little simpler and more straight forward. I do question using drywall screws in the frames.

Every time I try to get ideas here, somebody says something to change my mind about what boat design to attempt, but I'm still thinking that this Spira design might be the one.

Back