Our friend in need…the Hillman Family Benefit (PLEASE READ)

Chuck J

There are two kinds of decoy makers…really nice guys who make decoys, and guys who make really nice decoys…Jode Hillman is upper echelon in both respects.

As many of you have likely already read, forum member, friend, and extremely talented decoy maker Jode Hillman lost his barn to a fire this week. Thankfully no one was hurt and it did not spread to the house. Even his dog that usually stays in the barn was in the house. There are many things to be thankful for.

Among other things, the barn housed Jode’s workshop. If you don’t know, Jode is a full time decoy carver, and with this fire he lost his tools, supplies and works in progress, and therefore has temporarily lost his family’s primary income. Jode still has his god given talent and good nature, I’m sure he’ll be back at it, but in the meantime some people have already offered up some help that I want to make everyone aware of.

Firstly, Jode was approached by some of our other resident talent here at duckboats.net offering decoys to donate to help him and his family to get by. Jode asked Eric and me if duckboats.net could host auctions for these decoys, which we were obviously honored to help. I’ll be getting the first of these going as soon as I get some pictures from the carvers. Secondly, one of Jode’s neighbors has set up a blog, and on it there is a tab with an option to donate through PayPal. Think of it as kind of an “Internet pass the hat.” It is amazing what can be accomplished when everyone just chips in a little bit. Thirdly, if anyone else has items they would like to donate for auction (decoys or otherwise) please contact me and we’ll get these on the list.

I want to knock these auctions out in relative short order, long enough to let the item get it’s fair price, but short such that we can get the money in the hands of the family. Keep a close eye on the page so you don’t miss out. None of us want to be in this position, let’s lend a hand and help a brother out.

Best

Chuck Jagger

http://hillmanfamilybenefit.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Looks like the blog is up to date, with both the Paypal option as well as snail mail info too.

Thanks
Chuck

I had the pleasure of spending an hour with Jode in the barn in Novemeber.
On the way home I thought :"What a great place to work or just "be in"..."

It reeked of some of the things I love in life:decoys:finished and in progress,wood buring stoves,saw dust on the floor,
and tales of duck hunting episodes of days passed.
This is an extremely worth while cause for a great carver and person IMO

Back