Outboard Motor board

Charlie D

I need to put a motor board on an all glass sneakbox and am looking for a synthetic material to use for the board. Appreciate any info.

Not sure how big a motor you are talking about, but years ago I bought an outboard motor bracket to mount a kicker next to the main motor on my boat. The mounting board was made of micarta about 1" thick. It worked well. My boat had a varnished transom and the color made it look like varnished mahogany at a glance. For a duck boat, I would suggest it be roughed up with sandpaper and painted.

Charlie~

I have no experience with synthetics (other than PVC lumber which has little strength - but takes compound curves nicely!).

I have made several motor boards over the years from treated lumber (thoroughly dry pieces). I use 2 x 10 stock, seal it with 3 coats of epoxy, and mount it with 3M 5200 and s/s carriage bolts. I just mounted this board on a South Bay this morning. (Full rehab tale when I have more time.)

CLICK any photo to enlarge.

View attachment Motor Board 01 sm.JPG

I prefer to reduce the surface area of the board that's in contact with the hull - less space for moisture to get trapped. Also, being offset, it can serve as a lifting handle when the OB is elsewhere.

View attachment Motor Board 02 sm.JPG

Here is the BEFORE - pretty sure it's a "factory original": 2 layers of laminated plywood wrapped in 'glass.

I removed all of the wood without any tools - just tore it away with my hands. The galvanized carriage bolts needed a Sawzall and a 3-pound sledge....

BTW: The previous owner had a small eye-bolt on the motor mount itself - presumably to secure a safety chain (or cable) from the outboard. There is now a larger eye-bolt mounted through the stern deck for this purpose.

View attachment Motor Board 03 - BEFORE sm.JPG

I built my first boards this way over 20 years ago (I abandoned White Oak because I could not keep it sealed.). As far as I know, all are still serving well.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks for the info fellas, I think I may use the pressure treated 2x10,,Its a small portable motor going on a van dun bbsb (glass)

Just a note fellas, treated wood is VERY CORROSIVE if not sealed. ESPECIALLY in a wet or damp environment! Make sure to seal it very well. Steve's idea of three coats of epoxy is a great idea,

Jon

Jon~

AND I am very careful to coat/slather all mating surfaces of the s/s carriage bolts with 5200 during installation - to chemically isolate the bolts from the wood.

All the best,

SJS

Back