Outboard power advice

cjduncan

Just picked up a 2007 20' Lund Alaskan dual console. I am taking out the console and live well and turning the boat into a tiller.
Boat will be for sea ducking.

Would like some input from tin boat owners for outboard power advice.

I am leaning towards the Merc 75 but is this enough juice if it gets snotty out?

i don't own a 20 footer but have outfitted quite a few. if I was selling the rig i would push for a 115. a 75 will get you around but with a full load you will be working her pretty hard. I like to power a boat so that it will perform the way you want without having to be much over 3800 rpm's (outboard) with a smaller motor you end up spending a lot more time at wot and that really kills fuel economy and longevity. those alaskans are one hell of a boat though, what is the max hp?

Whats max HP is the first questions I would have for any repower.
I've always heard that you should have at least 80% of rated HP.
And in seaduck country, more hp is better than less.

My old 20' cc was rated for 150. I had an older 115 on it and always wished I had a 150. But then that glass boat was a lot heavier than an Alaskan.

A couple considerations. 1. The boat will have a plate indicating max hp.. The plate reads different for tiller boats and those with remote controls. The tiller boats are rated lower. 2. MAX IT OUT, you won't be sorry. It is a lot easier to run slower than faster than the boat is able to. Having run underpowered boats in the past I can garuntee that you will be dissapointed if you don't power up.

A couple considerations. 1. The boat will have a plate indicating max hp.. The plate reads different for tiller boats and those with remote controls. The tiller boats are rated lower.

Tom is absolutely right. You should be able to contact Starcraft or any Starcraft dealer for the correct max. HP. info on a 20 foot Alaskan tiller.

Personally, from my experiences, you will be disapointed with a 75. I would lean toward a 90-115 hp.

A couple considerations. 1. The boat will have a plate indicating max hp.. The plate reads different for tiller boats and those with remote controls. The tiller boats are rated lower.

Tom is absolutely right. You should be able to contact Starcraft or any Starcraft dealer for the correct max. HP. info on a 20 foot Alaskan tiller.

Personally, from my experiences, you will be disapointed with a 75. I would lean toward a 90-115 hp.

Good advice, I might call a Lund dealer, though.

T

Only thing I can add is that Bill Wasson guided for years in Maine with a 50 on his 20' Lund. He replaced his motor several times over the years and it was always 50s. He is a hell of a lot better seaman than most of us, so maybe he didn't need the ponies (or perceive to) as much as we do. I'd want more than that, but hey it worked day in and day out.

In my 2001 catalog the 20' Alaskan is rated for 80 HP tiller - 120HP console. I run a 70 on my 20' side console and have rarely wanted more. The 70 4-stk top speed is between 28-32 mph and out on the sound its often hard to go that fast and not beat the heck out of her and soak every one on board. Fuel consumption with the 70 4-stk has been great, even when running at or close to WOT

Enjoy!

Scott

If she's rated for a 70 tiller, then using the old 80% rule, a 70 sounds right.

Do the tillers in the HP range have some sort of assist on the steering???

[/QUOTE]

Good advice, I might call a Lund dealer, though.

T

Opps,,,,,, brain fart! Yes Lund dealer would be much more helpful.

I run a 90 Etec on my 18' Alaskan side console. I have been very happy with the performance. It will go about 35 as it is propped, but with 4 guys, dog and gear it will get on plane in less than 5 seconds. I too was lucky enough to hunt with Bill Wasson with his 20' Alaskan powered by a 50hp Honda. Bill's seamanship is far superior to my own, but I do remember feeling as though that bout could have used some more power. I would recommend the Etec very strongly. Having had a 50 Honda on my previous boat and loving the Honda, I could not believe the performance of the Etec. There is a cool video on you tube...Etec vs. Yamaha. Congrats on the Alaskan, I have been very happy with mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-7I00cZUE0

Last edited:
For that size of a boat I would get the largest motor it is rated for and would consider keeping the steering set-up or change it out for a simpler smaller steering console/set-up. I went from a tiller to a small steering console in my 16ft grizzlie and love it! And I don't feel like I really gave up that much space.

Thanks for all the advise guys. Boat is rated 125 hp remote steering and 90hp tiller. I think the 90 hp tiller set up would be best for me. Now to choose a brand of outboard. On my 20' Gloucester G-20 I run a Suzuki 140 and that engine is bullet proof so far. But lund recommends the Mercury brand. Anyone run a Merc. tiller?

I run a Merc 25 tiller, just got it this summer. Once i figured out how to prime it, it starts with a 1/2 pull and runs great.
I ran a Nissan 18 for 12 years and it was a great motor as well.
At work we run all Yamaha 4 strokes, 90-150 hp. Can't say a bad word about them.
Some of our offshore boats have ETECs and the guys who run them, love them as well.

Well, that doesnt help, does it?

My buddy has a 90hp on his 20' Alaskan and it has more power than can be used while sea duck hunting in single digit weather. Too damm cold to be running 30+mph LOL!!!

I also have a 90hp (rated up to 115hp) on my 20' duck boat (not a Lund Alaskan) and rarely push it past 1/2 throtle. Gets on plane in seconds, WOT is mid 30's. Never needed more hp even when fully loaded.

For an opinion on a 70hp on a 20' Lund, see this old thread and Chris Hutchin's post:

http://www.duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=174731;search_string=a;#174731

He felt he was underpowered with a 70, though his boat was overweight due to water saturation of the floorboards.

Hey Chris - Only idea I can add is think carefully before you go tiller. Visibility and handling could be much better from a side console without giving up much room. Are you doing any late season goose hunting ?
sarge

Back