Personal best/worst and a product endorsement

Pete McMiller

Spent Sat and Sun in the northern part of Wisconsin chasing grouse and woodcock with Mike Trudel. Saturday afternoon I started picking deer ticks off of me and counted somewhere between 25 and 30, almost twice my previous best. Fortunately none had attached yet. Saturday night I laid out out my boots, pants, shirt and hunting vest in the parking lot of the motel and sprayed them down good (both sides) with Permanone by Repel. Sunday I never saw a tick on myself, neither on my clothes nor my skin. The whole way home Mike was picking ticks off himself fairly regularly. I've never used this stuff before but won't be without it from now on.

I had also given Otto a dose of Frontline mid last week and I haven't spotted any on him either.

Yep, the smaller ones are about the size of a chunk of cracked pepper. The bigger ones about a third the size of a wood tick. Pick up some of that spray and you won't need to worry about them. One treatment will last a minimum of two weeks and through several washings (who washes hunting clothes during the season?).

Pete,

Permanone really works. I haven't used it for years but used it a lot in the late '80's down in Florida. During the early part of bow season the tiny critters were still very active. There is nothing like sitting on your tree stand as you feel a herd of critters climbing up your legs. There is something special about dropping you pants while 20 feet in the air and looking for crawling freckles.

One time a buddy and I were driving home after a bow hunt, he yells for me to pull over. He jumps out of the truck, drops his pants and starts pulling all the tiny ticks off his legs. It wasn't too far down the road that I thought I felt some crawling up my legs too.

I also would spray the permanone on my dog, everything except his head. That was in the days before frontline.

Tom

I use the Duranon Tick Repellent with permethrin. The same active ingredient as in Permanone. I have been using it for years swear by it. Way better than deet based products in my opinion

Hi Joe,

Hunting was great...........nice days, no rain. Unfortunately we couldn't locate many birds. We are thinking that the lack of clear cutting now days is keeping the grouse populations down. Too much selective cutting to provide much habitat. Then again, maybe we just didn't have the touch this weekend.

One of the highlights was coming into Park Falls looking for a place to stay and passing a hand written sign advertising a "Pork and Dumpling Dinner until 7:00pm" at a local church. All you cared to eat for $8. It was 6:20 by that time so we charged over to the church for dinner before we even got to the motel.

Pete, While you were in Park Falls did you stop in St Croix factory outlet.
They have some real deals on rods.

Then again all roads to the North pass through Merrill and Carol makes excellent coffee. Yours is free but Mike, since he didn't go to LaCrosse will have to pay with one of his decoys ( : )

Say hello to Otto for me.

Last edited:
Pete,

No, didn't get a chance to as they were closed by the time we hit town. We stayed right next door though. One of these days I'll have to stop for a cup-o-coffee. We slid right by Merrill on our way home Sunday but didn't have time to stop.

Jay,

The first time I ever used permethrin based spray, I sprayed myself and the clothes I was wearing. Inhaled a bunch and got to feeling ill. After that I read the directions.

Talked to a friend south of Hayward last night and they were seeing grouse.

Last edited:
Pete, funny you should mention Northern Wisconsin because I used to travel to Park Falls every year from Michigan for a week long grouse hunt. The ticks finally drove me away. Too bad because I really love the area to hunt and would love to go back someday.

Nice product suggestion, but I don't believe anything is 100% effective when it comes to dogs and man in an area with millions of hungry ticks. The health risk and aggravation just isn't worth it to me.

Thanks for sharing.....

Rick

I lived in the heart of tick country for 10 years and I am telling you the permethrin products would let me come home tick free. I have had with no exageration 50-75 tiny little ticks crawling on me at one time. I used duct tape to pull ticks off off me like people use tape to pull pet hair off their clothing. My neighbor shaved his legs to get them all off they were so bad. Once we started to treat with permethrin and wear gators I can go into the woods and not be afraid.

When I worked for the DNR in Georgia we would spray ourselves down with Permanone before doing field work. The few times I forgot the spray I would have to strip down and use the edge of a credit card to scrape off dozens of tiny crawling ticks. Lots of ticks in Georgia.
The guard hands out cans of Permanone whenever we go to the field or get deployed. I soak my uniforms with the spray and it is good for multiple washings.

I see from all the responses that many hunters already know about permanone. Don't know why I never used it before, but I will from now on.

Hey Lee, you want me to bring my electric hair trimmer so you can shave your legs?

Back