Pic Tues....

Dave Sikorski

DSC02470-1.jpg

-D

Nice fish especially for a fly. For us Midwestners what kind of fish? Even the inland sea doesn't have that kind.(; )

That's a Striped Bass from Delaware Bay. Look on Google maps for the Cape where the ocean meets the bay. The Jetty wall that runs sorta E-W is in the background of my pic.

We drag a bright orange, yellow, copper clouser and a brownish shrimpy pattern as a dropper. You cast perpendicular to the tide and do a wet fly drift. This fish hit at the end of the drift and did a circle around me before it was over. We use 8 or 9 wt rods.

With the flounder limit at 19.5" this year we have quite a few throwbacks. This one is a probably 15-16"

DSC02468.jpg

Here are a few from last week.

The only keeper of season for our group so far.

IMG_6174.jpg

Nice weakie

0518081355a.jpg

0518081419a.jpg

-D

Thanks for the reply Dave. I have used the technique for fishing trout in stream. They seem to bite at the same point in the retrieve.

I noticed two things in your post. One, your are using a stripping basket. Also noticed the crate in the other picture. How well does the crate work for a poormans stripping basket?

BTW, nice fish

Dave,

I'm jealous! That's one of two fish I want really bad on the fly rod. The other is a dorado.

Tight Lines ... Fred

Thanks all.

The Milk crate was an impromptu stripping basket when one of the guys w/ me forgot his basket. He borrowed it from WAWA and returned it on the way home!

I have an LL Bean basket that is the cats ass, but no longer sold by them b/c it is similar to the Orvis one that sells for more than twice as much. Funny what a name brand will do.

Fred....Come east. We have plenty of stripers that are more than willing to eat a fly. Sept-Dec are my favorite times. With May a close second.

-D

Nice fish...so you are saying that you prefer the hard baskets over the soft collapseable ones? I always liked that LL Bean style too...Orvis wants $60 for it which is just stupid!

This is about the only kind of fishing I use a basket for. I can't stand trying to peel the line off of the water when hauling when casting. If in my Goliath I just use the splash well in the transom as a stripping basket, and if in the bow I just use the floor. Most boats I fish don't have any hang ups that a wet towel thrown over them won't fix.

Can't say I've ever used a soft basket. I do use my "leaf bag" decoy bags occasionally, but they're more trouble than it's worth most days.

-D

What weight rod are you throwing for them? 7?

I'd love to get my Dad out there to chase a few of those...he and Mom are in Ontario right now chasing brook trout.

That's a 9 wt in my teeth. I had to glue the fighting but back on my 8 wt or it would have gotten the call. Throwing two flies you need a little backbone, especially when the wind is in your face.

My one buddy throws a 13'6" 8 wt spey rod. He's the lightning rod for those quick summer storms!

I also throw a 7 wt from the boat quite a bit, but broke the tip and haven't gotten it fixed yet.

-D

Dave,

that striper must have been fun on that fly rod even if it is a 9wt. and that big flounder had to have made for some good eating, excellent size for cooking up. Way too much fun! Thanks for posting.

Dave

Back