Picture Tuesday...Deer Related...

Jay Anglin

I ate fresh loin and liver with onions tonight. I only wish there was a lake to sneak in on them at all my deer hunting spots.
cranberrydoe.jpg

Jay, that shot is awesome.
I sure wish I had my boat to get the archery deer I had to drag out this year.... up hill both ways.

Cool when a plan comes together. How do you fit all those kids in the tree stand?

Jay, I will have to wait til tommorow night for the tenderloins because I was butchering all evening tonight. Nice deer, I love those eaters

I took her to the processor because I like to have a nice doe done every year and they had some MONSTER bucks in since last Saturday. One was palmated like a moose and scored some ridiculous think like 200 or something. That doe was actually the perfect one to kill...she had twins and she was big...maybe 165 on the hoof. Frankly, I don't particularly like killing does but they eat good and we're supposed to kill them for management purposes of course...I'm sure I'll kill a couple more. We get 8 bonus antlerless in LaPorte Co this year but between the Urban Deer Zones and State Park Reductions and all the other seasons I'll bet you could kill close to 20 legally this year in most Northern Indiana Counties.

Jay, Be carefull with that intensive harvest. In parts of Minn it worked to a fault. Love to grill those baldies though.

Jay, Be carefull with that intensive harvest. In parts of Minn it worked to a fault.
Well said Tom, WI is finding out all the Earn a Buck and other stupid "Deer Herd Management Practices" have been just that, practice for some idiot to screw up hunting in the majority of the state. Numbers of deer are dramatically reduced from previous years. Nice doe though, I only wish it would be that easy to bring home the meat. Reminds me of Yukon's Moose hunt a few years back where they rolled it down the hill into the boat.

Eric....hunting with the boat has been incredible. In front of the boat you can see two dirt mounds along the bank. I can idle to within about 100 yards and then use the electric to quietly move in. I beach it at the dirt mound and throw an anchor in the dirt and crawl off the bow on to the top of the dirt mound. From there I can see the woods, a cornfield and some grassy areas and glass them to make sure I'm not being seen and then move as necessary. It's stealthy as hell.....they do not perceive water as a threat. I want to be there so bad right now as I type this but Angie had a bunch of stuff to do so I'm watching the babies.

The other night I was on the mound surrounded by deer and I had two bucks rattle so loud that it sounded like rams but I couldn't see them through the shoreline brush. When I got on top of the dirt mound the other morning a hot doe was standing 20 yards in front of me, I could see her tail. As the light got better I was glassing the brush and sure enough I could see a big 8 standing not more than 40 yards away watching her but I couldn't find him with my gun...just too dark and brushy. By the time I finally got a good bead on him he walked. I'm not sure if he saw me glassing or if he was shunned by the doe. He knew something wasn't right.

That does yearlings were walking up to me and I had tons of deer standing around and one of them stood down wind of me about 20 feet...I was on the ground... and started to stomp. Momma was gonna blow and I figured she was a good one to harvest. I hate to do that in front of the kids but most of the does have kicked them out and they were very healthy and big for yearlings. Plenty of deer out there to hang out with so they will be fine.

Back