plastic decoy paint?

This web site is addictive.A friend dropped in and gave me dozens of old beat up plastic mallard decoys.I want to repaint them as divers what type of paint would a guy use?Thanks

first, clean and wire bruch off all flakies. Hit with Krylon Fusion , then you can paint with acrylics, house paint, oils, etc.

Also before painting,when you wire brush the decoys,wash the decoys with Simple Green or any good grease/dirt cutting soap,rinse and dry thoroughly

That's pretty much exactly what I did with my old plastics.

-Wash well.
-Lightly coat with "Fusion" or another good "plastic primer". I just lightly dusted mine. (before "Fusion", I used "Kilz" with pretty good results).
-I then coated with acrylic house paints. Stood up to my abuse for years. Acrylics are cheap, easy to mix and blend, water clean-up, low odor, etc.

Jon

I personally would not re-paint mallards as divers as the paint scheme would not match the profile - anybody else have any thoughts on this?

In the past I have bought the Parkers or in the old days Herters paint kits. I believe Knutsons has an excellent variety of the kits.

I typically had paint left over which I would re-tint to do mu gadwalls and widgeon.

I just sold the group pictured below you will notice a number of re-paints in the mix. The paint job pictured is a least 12 years old.

View attachment IMG_1092 (2).jpg

About 1/2 my bluebill spread are old Flambeau Mallards. Bluebills dont seem to mind.

I used a mix of Rustoleum flat white & black and FME diver hen brown and bluebill bill blue.

Here are some more re-paints. I took some old GH standard sized mallards and painted them as widgeon and some GH pro-grades painted as gadwalls.

View attachment IMG_1110 (2).jpg

View attachment IMG_1109 (2).jpg
I just happend to be taking pictures of these when I saw your post. I am in the process of changing my spread and was photographing these for the Craiglist ad.

Decoy painting - Nice diversion on a winter day

Last edited:
Some puddler decoys painted into divers look ok in my scoter rig. The tail is up a little higher and adds "movement" kinda' sorta'. The ducks don't seem to care as long as they are black and white.
-

Thanks fellas,I thought the fusion might be good as a primer wasn't sure what to go over it with.As for the all black paint scheme I have been told for years that would work.I suspect that decoys may attract hunters as much or more than the hunted with their fancy paint.I am working out of town staying in a camper so I have plenty of time at night to work on decoys.

Some colors do matter. From my observation wood ducks attract to decoys with a lot of white, like pintails, better than wood duck blocks.

Back