Price for TDB

I think there was a Classic.. but 99.9% out there are Sea Class... they might not be a perfect boat... but they are pretty close....

The 17ft classic was built. Not sure what happened to it or why not many were built but it wasnt extremely popular because its a shallow water boat and not designed for big waves. Value is hard to determine as not many seem to be out there.

I would like to be able to find one I could splash new molds from because the 17ft classic molds have disappeared and I would like to bring it back as well.

The 17ft classic was built. Not sure what happened to it or why not many were built but it wasnt extremely popular because its a shallow water boat and not designed for big waves. Value is hard to determine as not many seem to be out there.

I would like to be able to find one I could splash new molds from because the 17ft classic molds have disappeared and I would like to bring it back as well.
A 17 classic would be very cool, never seen one.

People call the older original 17ft boat the classic because they were made with the original molds that I believe were lost in a fire in Maine. Those boats. The original 17 footer was designed for open water gunning. Originally built for the serious waterfowler or Guide in mind. These boat are built for big open water as well as shallow bays do to there shallow draft. 9" .

I own a 1994 TDB 17 I would like to post a picture of. However i cannot seem to get it to load because of its size. And i don't know how to reduce them so it will fit.

I agree with tom orlowski, The 17' came after the 14' and was designed for big water sea duck hunting as well as a marsh boat. My '96 with honda 50 draws about 9" depending on the kicker i am using.
Tony,have you located a video tape yet?
Bill

Not to get in a fight but to keep someone from getting in trouble: The 17 ft classic TDB is not a big water sea duck boat! At least not by the definition of hunting the Northern Atlantic coast. Sheltered coastal waters and on calm days sure, but there was a good reason the sea class design was created. I did have the chance to hunt out of Alvin Chase's 17 classic and Bill Wasson's 20' Lund Alaskan. They were significantly different in handling choppy seas. I ended up purchasing a 20 Lund based on Bill's boat's handling. The 17 ft classic in MHO is a good compromise for a 3 man boat blind and being able to pick your days on the water. Calling it a big water boat, is just asking for trouble especially when there is a better sea class design available. An by the by the 20' Lund isn't a real big water sea duck boat either, just a better boat to have under you when it gets rough. I've gone out in 1-2 ft-ers and had to return in 4 to 6 ft seas stripper fishing off the Cape (cod).

Here pics from the DHBP 2001 eider hunt.

Heading out in the predawn calm.

View attachment predawnrun.JPG

Last min discussions/planing:

View attachment lastminplans.JPG

Returning in the rougher daytime chop, Alvin keeps her in the Lund's wake to help with the spray: (and no this isn't big open water its up the river coming back into Rockport.)

View attachment returninwake.JPG
Both boats take, W/ Alvin and the TX Crew. Very good time were had by ALL!!!

View attachment AlvinandTXcrew.JPG

Again, not saying it isn't a good nitch boat but the Classic 17 is/was in no way a big water boat.

Scott

Scott I agree with what you have said. It does have limitations no dought. But for someone looking for a very versatal rig it can't be beat. And I have too tell you. I have been out in some pretty nasty weather and common sense and knowing the limitations of your equipment need to be adhered to . But if I go out and the weather gets nasty I know I have what I need to get me home safely .I love to hunt but I have to say their are only so many ways to make a sea-duck taste decent. If the weather is to bad I will pass to hunt another day. For someone looking for a hunting boat coastal or marsh to small ponds it is the way to go. Hides Easy ,plenty of room for your buddys and dog, easy enough so you can hunt alone if you want. Mine loads very Easy with the roller bunk trailer. Anything you are willing to pay for is worth it if you want it bad enough. I would say the boat in question could be worth around 6000.00. although a motor would up its value. Safe Gunning.

you are right scott, i had a 17 classic it was at best a 3 man boat and a very wet ride in any chop and thats why i sold it many years ago

Yes you are right the 17 classic is not nor was it designed to be a big water sea ducking boat.I own one and its for a guy who likes alot of room and hunts the shallow marshes with a couple of buddies and a dog and a bunch of decoys and not bang into each other when you rise to shoot.Yes it can cross big water and got me home safely on many rough days when I would have gotten soaked in my sneakbox,but its hull is mainly suited for backwater marshes.When its setup with the heaters and table and frying eggs on the stove on a freezing cold morning in January it almost makes you forget about the sneakbox.After that model thats when they came out with the "sea class"..thats the seaducking rig..diferent hull design made for open water.

Last edited:
Here we go. Back in the day the 17' was designed to hunt bigger water than the 14'. I have weighed in on this discussion previously. Time has moved on and improvements have been made on boat designs,the newer design that i am most familiar with is the Banks 17'. The hull is faster in rough conditions,dryer and imo a much better big water boat. I think the 17' classic shines as a "bay boat" hunting protected shore lines and marshes but able to cross expanses of open water when common sense prevails.When i visited Bill Clark one of the designers and builders of the original TDB's he was doing a lot of eider hunting out of the 17 classic. It was designed to hunt the north east coast,since then better big water boats have been built.
I think the classic design falls between a shallow draft mud motor driven hull and the newer big water vee hulled high powered "sea ducking " rig.
Bill.

Back