Professional Decoy Carvers

Capt. Frank Miller

Just curious if we have any professional carvers on the site. By professional decoy carvers I mean one that makes their living from their decoys or carving.

Jode, Sean, and Kieth are all very talented, but don't discount the amateurs like the Ward Brothers, Madison Mitchell, Joe Lincoln and just about every other historic maker.

Jode, Sean, and Kieth are all very talented, but don't discount the amateurs like the Ward Brothers, Madison Mitchell, Joe Lincoln and just about every other historic maker.

???

How u figure mitchell and the ward brothers are amateurs?

True but there was not a person in the world I would consider more professional decoy carver than mitchell. He prob made more money carving than he did at Funerals. And prob produced more decoys than most guys, even in todays standards. I be leave he would do 2500 gunning blocks a year plus Christmas birds.

I know im starting a war by saying this and i dont mean any disrespect by it, but its alot different when a machine is shaping the body for you and all your doing is a head spokeshaving groves and knobs off. Plus you dont have to hollow or glue halves together, alot different when half the work is done.i dont believe the number of birds you do is what considers you a professional. I believe the original question was guys who " profession" is decoy carving.

Guys you hijacked the thread LOL. I wasn't look for historical carvers. I simply asked if we had anyone on the this website (that would mean living LOL) that make their living from making decoys.

Back