Question about decoy sleds

Dani

Gold Sponsor
I looked on Cabelas at the Jet Sleds....how much weight will the big ones carry? How many decoys will it hold? Thanks a lot in advance

Dani

Dani,

If one figures the dimensions given, the sled is 13500 cubic inches total. That is 7.8 cubic feet. If you figure 50% displacement to allow you 5 inches of freeboard, that gives a carrying capacity of about 240 lbs. Because the sled has some taper to it, the bottom half will not displace a true 50% of the overal, so I'd reduce that back some. My best guess would be a 200 lb load should be ok with out danger of swamping, as long as the load does not become too top heavy.

You could always mock up a sled to the dimensions given to check for the decoy count it will hold.

Dani,

You may want to go to Shappell.com. and check out all the variations the manufacturer has to offer for jet sleds to get the size that will work best for you. There's also Frabil, and Otter, ( both carried by Gander Mtn.), that make sleds as well. These are primarily marketed for ice fishermen but should serve your needs as well. Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave gives good info. I'd worry about a top heavy load rolling over, these sleads are not very wide. If this will be a prob. ya can fasten the decoy anchors in the sled& let the decoys be "towed" behind the sled to keep it from being top heavy. I'v done this thing hunting from a small boat with little room& towed a bunch of goose decoys behind boat to get more decoys to hunt over than I had room for in the boat. Best of luck to ya!
Dennis

Dani,

I have the extra large jet sled and I pull it behind my fourwheeler with no problems. I usually only have a dozen and half or so decoys and it works well for me. I drilled some small holes in the lip and use one of those bungee nets to strap down everything in it. I think Cabelas has them on sale too if I am not mistaken.

http://m.cabelas.com/cabelas/catalog/searchList.do

The only problem that I have had with it is that it is kind of loud when pulled over anything other thn water or grass.

Neil

Hi Dani, I've got a couple that we use for late season from land blinds. you can get a bag of plastic on
each sled with the aid of a strap. I usually put my blind bag in one and weights in the other first to
lower the center of gravity. The real reason we use them is to ferry the decoys on the water to place them
so the tops of the decoys don't ice up too early. That may not be a problem for you . They are almost indestructable but I'm not sure how Gator Proof they will be, John

Iv floated a bit under 200lbs in mine. Friend of mine sat in it and we toted him around. It was very tippy, and there wasn't but an inch or two of freeboard. Still though, those things will haul some weight.

Dani, my Jet Sled hauls two 6 slot decoy bags and decoys, my shell box which holds 4 boxes of shells, my blind bag, goose flag, 4-6 goose floaters, extra this and that, rides high with probably 3-4 inches of freeboard, has not seemed to be tippy in wind or waves. Hope this helps.

dc

I have one of the large jet sleds and it will carry more decoys than I care to drag across the snow and ice. Don't use it for water too often so I'm not sure what the capacity is there, but they are sure handy to have in the winter around here.

Thanks y'all for the help, and in giving me names of other manufacturers. Dave, I'll take your advice on making a mock up of dimensions of a sled I might be interested in to see how many decoys and gear it would hold....

Thanks again.....y'all have been most helpful

Dani

I have a Bankes 6ft. It doesn't flex, or twist like the polypro plastic sleds, it's all fiberglass. It's very durable, I use it for both duck hunting and ice fishing. Like everything else they make, it's top quality.

Go to the Bankes site, they have a few different lengths including a 4ft version that might fill your needs.

Mark

dani,

I have been contemplating getting one of these myself. However, i am considering going a different route. Academy sports in our area has a new roto molded kayak out that is about 6 ft long and is built for kids up to 110 lbs i think. if you have ever used a roto molded kayak you know how strong and stable they are. I think it would make the perfect duck sled, and I think the cost is $99.

Back