Question about fixed chokes in a double gun for duck hunting?

CAnderson

As I continue my quest for the perfect double gun for duck hunting I stopped to ask myself, "What chokes would I want in this gun?"

So here is the deal, I am tired of shooting my auto loader. It is a tool and gets the job done but lacks the comfort and familiarity of a SxS. It is the only single barrel gun that I hunt with. From March through September I train upland dogs. During that time, I shoot either a 20ga or 16ga SxS. Occasionally when I pheasant hunt I carry a 12ga OU. But my preference has long been a SxS. Prior to ducks, I spend some time hunting Quail, Grouse, Woodcock and occasionally Pheasant. Most of that is done with the 20ga or 16ga SxS. I believe I may have found the perfect gun for me and I believe I may be approaching an opportunity to make that purchase a reality.

With that in mind, I am looking at either a 20ga or 12ga SxS, the one I found is a 20ga. I generally do not pass shoot and definitely decline shooting at birds that I think are out of range. I likely pass on more birds than I should because I rather err on the side of caution. With that being said, most of my shots are on birds that are feet down coming into the spread.

My current shot of preference is Hevi-Metal 3", #3. If I am shooting a 12ga, it would be a 1.25oz load. If it was a 20ga, it would be a 1oz load. Of course, I would need to make sure this patterned well out of the new gun.

The gun that I am looking at is a fixed choke gun and is currently Modified and Full. How would you have the chokes bored out for ducks in the decoys 10-30yds away?

Chad

If there is enough thickness to the barrel, I would have it fitted with screw in chokes.

If not...then have it bored out to Imp. Cylinder x Modified for that yardage.

This is anything but advice, but I picked up at auction a cheap Savage 311 SIXTEEN gauge that some idiot had sawed off to 22 inches. Yeah, what a waste of 300 bucks I thought ... it turns out though, that loading up some 7/8-ounce #4s to 1550 fps through the cylinder bores (left barrel "jug-choked" just a bit), is very near ideal for decoyed ducks, even walked-up pheasants. I always associated 16-gauge with upland hunting, but these high-velocity loads with open chokes turn the boring into a real duck gun.

I don't know how old your gun is but it probably wouldn't hurt to play it safe and use the Hevishot Classic Doubles. I used to use tungsten matrix in my great grandfathers model 12 a couple times a year. It shoots great and really puts a hurting on the birds. For your question, if you go to the tungsten based shot, I wouldn't be afraid of leaving them both as is for the time being. Shoot the gun at paper and clays to get a feel for it. Then if you think you need it opened up a little go for it.

I really want to get a 16 or 20ga SxS or OU to start using for ducks. I feel the same way with my semi auto.

For ducks over decoys i would want the gun choked improved cylinder and light modified , todays modern non-toxic loadings shoot tighter than yesterdays lead loads.
The 3" hevi-metal #3 is my favorite in 12 ga. Haven't shot 20 ga. for ducks since lead was legal but i would start out with imp cyl. and lt. mod until i found out i needed tighter chokes. Just my opinion.
Bill.

If it adds anything to the question, the gun I am looking at has 28" barrels.

I have looked into Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles as I would absolutely love to have a 16 SxS in the marsh. My current Fox Sterlingworth will never see a day in the marsh. What ever gun I end up with, will likely be sent for one of the protective coatings to be applied to the barrels and receiver.

Chad

My 12ga Browning OU was sent to Briley to be bored for choke tubes. They did a thinwall choke tube. The only problem with that system is steel shot is not an option.

The 20ga I am looking at likely will not allow for the tubes to be added and I rather not limit myself to only Tungsten or Bismuth shot.

Chad

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]"i would start out with imp cyl. and lt. mod until i found out i needed tighter chokes."

This is the basis for my question. I prefer not to open them up and find out that I need tighter chokes. Once they are open, they are open. But it sounds like the consensus is recommending an IC/MOD setup.

Chad

[/font]

Without shooting patterns I would go with IC/Mod. Shoot the MOD at some paper and then decide. I find over decoys IC is really a good choice. Good Luck.

Another option is to make both of them modified to start out with. If they are too tight for your taste then go ahead and open one up a little. If most of your shots are less than 30yds over the decoys I also wouldn't be afraid of going with #6 steel. Be a lot less likely to damage any choke plus throw a lot more pellets at them.

My 12 ga Ithica/SKB 100 was marked Mod and Full. My gunsmith said it was actually IM and F so I had him ream the Full to a true Mod and I have shot 100's of 2 3/4 inch FS 3's and 4's with great results on decoying divers.

Last edited:
I hand load for a magnum 10 ga Ithaca double, Winchester m21 duck with ITX from ballistic products. if you want to shoot steel maybe you need to look at one of the Turkish guns offered (De HANN, CZ,ETC} I gave one of my Nephews a 20 ga Ithaca/skb import
last Christmas but would never shoot steel from it

HI. all I shoot is SxS for hunting (Parkers and Ithaca) my 20 ga duck gun is 28 in, F/F and shoot reloaded 7/8 ths oz bismuth 6's. flattens ducks to 40 yds and I killed about 12 geese in a "all I have at the time shot" all geese dead in the air too. I do shoot a Ithaca 20 ga. 26 in. impcly and cly. on my little woodduck stream, 15 to 20 yds on the shot. 12 ga, mod impcly with bismuth 1 1/4 oz 4's, Short 10 ga, 2 7/8 th in. loaded with 1 1/4 oz 4 for duck and 1 3/8 th oz 2's or BB for geese. you will love the old guns and there history, good luck hunting. scott

Either make the full barrel modified or improved . Pattern the gun before you start I wouldn't mess with screw in chokes, the right load would be more important. Usually a target is missed by about 6 inches or the width of your brain. John

Have you ever regulated the barrels on the gun you intend to shoot? Prior this,as a benchmark effort, I would encourage you to take the gun you intend to use to a competent gunsmith and determine IF you should shoot Hevi Metal loads through it; will the barrel steel "hold up" without bulging, as well as determining, prior patterning, whether the barrels could seperate assuming they are silver-soldered together with the rib.

Yes, the powders that "push" steel and steel-tungsten matrix shot strings down a barrel have improved, but they still achieve pressures that many classic double-guns won't hold up under...the "marketplace" often dictates the means employed to achieve success.

HEVI Shot Classic Doubles loads may be your best choice in this gun. Regulating the barrels will give you a truer picture of how this gun patterns at the specific ranges you expect to shoot it at, from barrel to barrel. I shot-through three Superposeds, one a Pointer Grade, that couldn't put both charges even close to each other from a bench rest position, before I found a pair of LTRK '60s era guns that pattern consistently.

Allen-

May I ask why you would not choose to shoot steel through the Ithaca-SKB? That is actually what I am currently looking at is the Model 100.

My Model 150 has just a bit more engraving and is a great little gun. I shoot #7 steel through it on occasion when we are Quail hunting.

I was planning on shooting steel, specifically the Hevi-Metal if it patterns well in the gun. Based on some suggestions here, I will even try to pattern some of the smaller shot sizes.

Just curious about your thoughts or anyone else's thoughts on shooting steel through an Ithaca-SKB built in the 70's.

Chad

Chad,
My primary duck gun is a 1913 Sterlingworth with 28" barrels. I opened the chokes to Imp and light Mod . I like shooting Nice Shot reloads,Tungsten Matrix, and #6&4 steel loads. I've had no problems making clean kills with any of them. I'm thinking of loading some ITX for next season. My only concern has been finding #4 steel in a lower speed(pressure)offering. With all the high speed stuff out there I may have to switch to only reloads or the #6 steel. It sounds like our choice of shots are the same.
I don't hunt in salt but it's just a gun so shoot what you like! John

RL-

When you say regulate the gun, I assume you are saying the same this as pattern the gun? Would that be accurate?

If we are talking the same thing, then no. Only because I haven't purchased the gun yet. I am basing some of my decision on my familiarity with the Ithaca-SKB. I have been shooting my father-in-laws 20ga SxS off and on for the past 15 years or so. I really liked it which made be very quick to buy one 5 years ago when a friend offered one to me for sale. I haven't regretted the decision and really like the way the gun handles.

Another one has come available. Since I hae a soft spot for the gun, I am really tempted to buy another and dedicate it to Waterfowling. Dedicating it in my mind would mean I need to protect it from the salt marshes that we hunt it. Then I would need to spend some time patterning it to get the right shot. Since the chokes are Mod-Full, I figured the Full barrel was going to be too constricted.

As mentioned by someone else, and makes a lot of sense in my head, I should probably pattern the Mod barrel and get an idea of what it does and what type of shot it patterns well. Then I can use that as a reference to determine how the other barrel should be choked.

Chad

Back